1 2 3
nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
10/28/11 10:43 a.m.

Because this thread made me curious, and because I'm a huge geek, I decided to compare the lower-end of the new car market using the Edmunds.com 'True Cost of Ownership' estimates. TCO compares average purchase prices and estimates expenses to project the cost to own a car for five years.

How much could that new econobox cost you? Take a look:

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/28/11 10:53 a.m.

Probably good for your wife... But I sorta remember the remarks from the GRM test. Slow, ugly, no fun to drive...

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/28/11 11:09 a.m.
noddaz wrote: Probably good for your wife... But I sorta remember the remarks from the GRM test. Slow, ugly, no fun to drive...

Are you saying that GRM tested his wife, because if you are, that is not very nice.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
10/28/11 12:18 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: I agree with HiTemp. How much power do you really need.

If it were about "need" this forum wouldn't exist.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/28/11 3:18 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
noddaz wrote: Probably good for your wife... But I sorta remember the remarks from the GRM test. Slow, ugly, no fun to drive...
Are you saying that GRM tested his wife, because if you are, that is not very nice.

Ahhh, that was mean.... I didn't mean that at all...

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
10/28/11 4:51 p.m.

It's too bad that nissan won't develop an SE-R version. The chassis already has the development done:

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
10/28/11 8:09 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to pinchvalve: 20 years and counting... Somethings you just have to let go...

Yeah, the longer you're married the more BS you can say and get away with. She doesn't listen anyway and won't hear what you said.

30 years and counting.

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/29/11 6:22 a.m.

I bought one for my daughter to use. I needed one car that I wouldn't have to mess with. It is roomy and very boring to drive even with the 6 speed but I don't care if she dings it up or puts a gazillion miles on it.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
10/29/11 8:19 a.m.

I had a rental for 2 weeks and it did everything I asked it to do and then some. I treated the trunk like a truck bed. I really liked it but I'm a dope for cheap/momentum based cars. My wife didn't like it and my 9 y/o son preferred(this has me troubled) the PT Cruiser rental from earlier in the year. I think it would really benefit from a dose of dynamat or some other sound proofing, would make the car way more enjoyable on the road IMHO. The drivers door didn't have any soundproofing at all for some reason. If it were me I would also install some good automotive carpeting instead of the felt it comes with and put a decent Pioneer Nav/Stereo unit in the dash. With those few bits I believe it would change the impression of its cheapness behind the wheel.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/16 9:46 a.m.

Bumping this up - any other feedback on the Versa? When checking one out, what should I look for?

We have some friends with a 1.5 year old who need a car. Basic requirements are something cheap to operate, good mileage, and room for their son. Saw this ad on CL:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5690803839.html

It seems like a lot of car for the money, especially for a 2009. AutoCheck shows 2 owners, no reported accidents. Am I crazy? Other cars in this price range are 2000 Honda Accords/Camry's with a million miles on them. Budget is up to $4k, and they'd like to stay under $3k, if possible.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
7/20/16 9:59 a.m.

If she was into getting a great deal, why not the Micra? Same engine, conventional automatic, cheaper, better to drive, easier to park, and America doesn't get it.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/20/16 10:04 a.m.

IIRC, the SL model might use a CVT instead of the four speed auto. It seems Nissan had some problems making their CVTs reliable, but that may have been sorted by 2009, I'm not sure.

My nephew has a 2009 S with the 4 speed auto that has held up pretty well for the past year. Its not pretty inside, but seems to handle neglect reasonably well.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/20/16 10:10 a.m.

Bought a 2014 note with a manual december of last year. Its definitely no ms3, but for a cheap, reliable car with absolutely no reason yo worry about it, its not bad. Gets good mileage, isn't the worst fwd chassis ive ever driven, and is anonymous enough that it gets left alone.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
7/20/16 10:16 a.m.
dj06482 wrote: We have some friends with a 1.5 year old who need a car. Basic requirements are something cheap to operate, good mileage, and room for their son. Saw this ad on CL:

They're giving a car to a one and a half year old?? Wow. They'll be the envy of the neighborhood, as their friends have to make do with a 6V Barbie Jeep.

The Versa is the textbook definition of basic transportation. It'll probably run forever and get from point A to point B. But it's boring, slow, non-descript.

dj06482
7/20/16 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

My son was given a full size power wheel when he was one by his grandparents - and they aren't even car nuts! I don't think he couldn't reach the gas until he was at least 2...

To all -

Thanks for the feedback, they're non-enthusiasts, so it seems like this will fit the bill for them perfectly. It's the SL, so it should have the 1.8 and the CVT. I'd prefer a conventional auto over the CVT, but it seems to hold up OK in the Versas. Nissan had plenty of time to fix things after the original Muranos, and this is much lighter.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/20/16 3:33 p.m.
dj06482 wrote: In reply to Klayfish: My son was given a full size power wheel when he was one by his grandparents - and they aren't even car nuts! I don't think he couldn't reach the gas until he was at least 2... To all - Thanks for the feedback, they're non-enthusiasts, so it seems like this will fit the bill for them perfectly. It's the SL, so it should have the 1.8 and the CVT. I'd prefer a conventional auto over the CVT, but it seems to hold up OK in the Versas. Nissan had plenty of time to fix things after the original Muranos, and this is much lighter.

They do seem to be the modern cockroach....no one is really sure why they exist, there's no real reason, but there's a lot of em and they're really hard to kill.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
7/20/16 3:50 p.m.

OK, since I am the one that started this, I will pipe in.

Holly crap, where did 5 years go! We keep cars for 10, so it is mid cycle at this point and I wife-unit could not be happier. It is cavernous. The rear seat is like the Tardis. Is it gutless? Yeah, but so what. Is the gearbox weird? Its an auto, who cares? It will haul the family down the 401 at 150 kph which is fast enough in Ontario to lose your license and have the car confiscated. Good enough. Wish it had cruise.

When just heading out to Crappy tire or Princess Auto, I find myself driving it rather than the FRS. The FRS has monster blind spots that make it a pain to drive in any crowded environment, the Versa is like driving a greenhouse.

I have heard rumours that the Versa requires gasoline as a propellant, but mostly it seems to be a rumour. Cost to operate has been oil changes and front brakes. Front brakes were easy to do.

For someone who has zero appreciation of how a car goes about is business, only that it does, it is a great car. Lord knows wife-unit could afford nicer cars, but but that circuit is not wired in her brain.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
7/20/16 4:01 p.m.

If my truck wasn't off the road and thus ineligible, I was going to get a new one with a stick and fully loaded for $8.5k with CFC. Now you can't get a manual and options.

kb58
kb58 Dork
7/20/16 4:03 p.m.

The title reminds me of a line from the first "Vacation" movie, "You think you hate now, just wait until you drive it."

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
7/20/16 6:31 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: They're giving a car to a one and a half year old?? Wow. They'll be the envy of the neighborhood, as their friends have to make do with a 6V Barbie Jeep.

I'll put 10 bucks on the Barbie Jeep in the 1/4 mile.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
7/20/16 7:40 p.m.

I just bought a 16' manual sedan. I bought it because my mini me will be making his appearance in less than 2 months and I needed cheap space. It's hilarious how aplliancey it is, but damned if it doesn't get me to work everyday in comfort and costs $15 to fill up. I plan on some sound deadening because it's pretty shouty at speed, but it serves a purpose and that's all I needed.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
7/20/16 8:13 p.m.

I'm thinking about a manual sedan later this year to go ubering with in town to defray the payment and pay off quick. Then I'll have a reasonably reliable newish paid car after a year or two.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
7/20/16 8:17 p.m.

In reply to MCarp22:

I can't see your link. Old or new Versa? I would totally mod an old one if was mapped out for me. Better link please?

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
7/20/16 8:41 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan: it's the perfect uber car, the space is perfect for passengers and I really can't argue about a car with a full warranty for $170 a month. I've secretly considered lowering mine because the wheel gap is ridonkulous.

dj06482
7/21/16 8:20 a.m.

Update:

I bought the car, it seemed to run and drive well. It just passed emissions yesterday, and I checked the readiness codes to make sure everything was clear there. I'll link to the build thread once I create it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hpENBRSRzpmrOlpljHdgIzSnchJu3o5lPhPCwOe060BiTWcTEXsDvD6XrQGobJrl