1 2 3
plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/6/15 10:25 p.m.

Doesn't like the fact that I stop every time I see a car for sale on the side of the road.

How can I help it? Tonight coming home from the inlaws first there was a Jaguar XJ6 L 1974 just sitting there.Of course I stopped. And checked it out. And called the number. That didn't go over so well. When I got back in our truck I said, "Hey honey, I noticed you didn't get out or anything." All I got was "the look."

Then, a few miles farther there was one of those 1990's buick roadmaster wagons (yes with the paneling) and I shouted out (correct me if I'm wrong fellas) hey that's got a chevy 350 in it! So I started slowing down. Then she started yelling at me, "NO! Do not stop this truck, DO NOT stop!"

So to keep my marriage intact I just slowed down a bit and gazed longingly (at the car).

As I drove away I listened to my better half tell me all of the cars that I had were crap: My 1976 Ford Quadravan with a 460 engine. "Not crap" I said. "It was 4 wheel drive, don't you know how rare 4 wheel drive vans are?" Then she said my 1976 Ford Station Wagon was terrible. "Not true I said, at least not until I blew the engine." After that she brought up a few other cars I owned that also didn't sit well with her.

I'm going back to look at the station wagon tomorrow on our way to counseling.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/6/15 10:33 p.m.

Good man.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/6/15 10:50 p.m.

Buy a BiTurbo and really show her who's boss!

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/6/15 11:03 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Buy a BiTurbo and really show her who's boss!

No, I'm straight.

neon4891
neon4891 MegaDork
9/6/15 11:15 p.m.

I just get death glares when I look at motorcycles.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
9/7/15 12:07 a.m.

Hmmm. My fiancé surprised me with a Miata for my birthday in May. Granted it was a $700, 350k mile miata. But Berk me, a woman I'm with bought me a car I want.

We went to cars and coffee yesterday. We wandered around and picked out our favorite cars. I was all Noble M12. She liked the super clean fuel injected Ford Falcon. It was sweet.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/7/15 12:23 a.m.

Let her pick the next project???

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
9/7/15 12:34 a.m.

When she gets fussy you about your car hobby, casually suggest, that it's "cheaper than blondes."

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
9/7/15 1:46 a.m.

or you could be spending time at the strip club or something...... at least she knows where you are at least.....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/7/15 6:51 a.m.

"Ease up Honey, it's not like I'm looking at other women that way."

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/7/15 7:01 a.m.

That is why all my conversations around the dinner table start with "I stopped to look at this old ___ (fill in car) today over in __(fill in town)". I never stop when the wifey is in the car.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/7/15 7:10 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Let her pick the next project???

Tried that once. She picked a bathroom.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/7/15 7:21 a.m.

My wife feels your wife's pain

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
9/7/15 7:43 a.m.
Wally wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Let her pick the next project???

Tried that once. She picked a bathroom.

I say "so I'm thinking of working on...."
She says "I the next word isn't bathroom or kitchen I don't want to hear it."
Not I just tell her about what I've already done.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/7/15 10:12 a.m.
plance1 wrote: As I drove away I listened to my better half tell me all of the cars that I had were crap: My 1976 Ford Quadravan with a 460 engine. "Not crap" I said. "It was 4 wheel drive, don't you know how rare 4 wheel drive vans are?" Then she said my 1976 Ford Station Wagon was terrible. "Not true I said, at least not until I blew the engine." After that she brought up a few other cars I owned that also didn't sit well with her.

Wow..

Does she have some hobbies that you can E36 M3 all over?

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
9/7/15 10:29 a.m.

Mine is sick of the shenanigans too. I'm in the midst of selling my projects because I just don't have the time for projects and kids. She used to be a lot more accepting, but with our schedules now it just doesn't make a lot of sense. I still have the same reaction to cool old cars sitting by the side of the road though!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/7/15 10:48 a.m.

I just try to convince the wife that they are all actually for her.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
9/7/15 10:57 a.m.

It could be worse. You could have parents who are so far unconvinced that me buying another GM product is a good idea, despite the fact that my dad wants a Mitsubishi Mirage, and my mom bought a 2013 sonata even after I told her about the DI carbon buildup problems. Now they have a three year old car that has 20,000 miles on it.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
9/7/15 10:59 a.m.

We all would have stopped for the Roadmaster. No shame.

shadetree30
shadetree30 HalfDork
9/7/15 11:28 a.m.

I get much the same static. Usually stopping for E30s or other BMWs.

My friend's wife suggested "It's either this or a girlfriend!"; but I'm not THAT brave...

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
9/7/15 11:30 a.m.
shadetree30 wrote: I get much the same static. Usually stopping for E30s or other BMWs. My friend's wife suggested "It's either this or a girlfriend!"; but I'm not THAT brave...

Brave, stupid, same thing.

GTXVette
GTXVette New Reader
9/7/15 11:37 a.m.

In reply to shadetree30: At least I am not the only one...... I just Bought a 90's something Blazer, She Gonna Cus, Over heated engine (v6) but for a hundred bucks W/ Title, can't go wrong... Right!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
9/7/15 11:39 a.m.
GTXVette wrote: In reply to shadetree30: At least I am not the only one...... I just Bought a 90's something Blazer, She Gonna Cus, Over heated engine (v6) but for a hundred bucks W/ Title, can't go wrong... Right!

How can I find the deals you guys do?

Spitsix
Spitsix HalfDork
9/7/15 12:14 p.m.

Best line ever!

"I'm going back to look at the station wagon tomorrow on our way to counseling."

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
9/7/15 12:32 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote:
GTXVette wrote: In reply to shadetree30: At least I am not the only one...... I just Bought a 90's something Blazer, She Gonna Cus, Over heated engine (v6) but for a hundred bucks W/ Title, can't go wrong... Right!

How can I find the deals you guys do?

  • Have cash
  • look in back lots and neighbourhoods
  • pounce when found (don't think about it - do it!)
1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
4Tj9TNEMZgYS6PR1ChBYmQdXh5rbfnYBcxPD0XpPT7vomkRcMq8c1qY3eKnkF4xE