1 2 3
Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
9/7/15 12:41 p.m.

Did you do this stuff with her before you got married? If yes, your wife already knew what she was getting herself into. If no, good luck with her.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/7/15 3:19 p.m.

boy I just love how all you guys "have to get permission to do what you like"

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/7/15 3:19 p.m.

sorry … that was mean

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
9/7/15 4:32 p.m.

Excellent post. Funny, and it seems to have struck a chord with so many of us.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/7/15 4:39 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

I see you also have a policy of not marrying a crazy person.

My wife has a horse. Any arguments about the cost of my motorcycle problem go straight out the window.

To the O.P.: PIITB

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
9/7/15 5:40 p.m.

My wife don't care what I drag home. As long as her house doesn't start looking like Sanford and son. Which in my world means no more than five cars, and nothing clogging up the driveway or yard for more than a few days.

Perfectly reasonable.

She does get pissed when I drag home cars at dinner time with no notice and don't bring the take out i was supposed to get. That was not a good idea. But it turned into a very profitable parts car.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/7/15 6:23 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I see you also have a policy of not marrying a crazy person.

So that's where I screwed up.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/7/15 6:38 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to wbjones: I see you also have a policy of not marrying a crazy person. My wife has a horse. Any arguments about the cost of my motorcycle problem go straight out the window. To the O.P.: PIITB

GTXVette
GTXVette New Reader
9/7/15 6:41 p.m.

just got home with the Blazer. leaking water like A Sieve above the rad. hose on the engine side ( Behind the W.P.? ).we'll see in the Morning. Pat Is P.O'd. Soup For Dinner.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/7/15 8:09 p.m.

where you at? i'm looking for a woody roadmonster.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/7/15 8:59 p.m.
Spitsix wrote: Best line ever! "I'm going back to look at the station wagon tomorrow on our way to counseling."

I actually did stop. She was telling me on the way up to see the inlaws this morning that later this week its their anniversary. So I stopped and said "I might want to buy this for their present." Again, she sat in the car. Car was beat all to hell and back and for $1,300 it was not worth it. Wife wins one this time!

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/7/15 9:00 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: Did you do this stuff with her before you got married? If yes, your wife already knew what she was getting herself into. If no, good luck with her.

She knew. Oh she knew. When we were dating she told me she liked my Ford Contour SVT, that is when it ran.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/7/15 9:07 p.m.

My wife drew the mine at number if cars I could insure. She didn't count on my brother being my agent.....

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/7/15 9:24 p.m.

Next time your out, introduce her as your "first wife".
That goes over well!

Type Q
Type Q Dork
9/7/15 10:01 p.m.

I don't remember if it was someone here or one of my old auto-crossing buddies who suggested this, but it has worked well for me and my wife. I have a separate bank account for my "hobby fund". We negotiate how much money goes in the fund once at the beginning of the year then its mine to buy sell and do what ever I want with. Likewise there is a certain amount of space that is mine to use for storage and workshop area. As long as my hobby stuff is contained and not taking over the house, she is fine.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
9/7/15 10:19 p.m.

I love my wife.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
9/7/15 10:20 p.m.

my wife bought me the wagon for my birthday because she knew i wanted it but was too dumb to part with the mustang for it. so i had both for a while!

ohh and apparently because she has boobs it cost her less then the guy told me!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
9/8/15 7:58 a.m.
dropstep wrote: my wife bought me the wagon for my birthday because she knew i wanted it but was too dumb to part with the mustang for it. so i had both for a while! ohh and apparently because she has boobs it cost her less then the guy told me!

Boobs are great. have the wife always negotiate with a low-cut shirt

GTXVette
GTXVette New Reader
9/9/15 8:22 a.m.

The wife is Mo' better today. The water pump Did NOT have a Gasket on the Pass. side.Duh. Wasn't factory so Somedummy did it. Thank You. Wife test drove it Last Nite and Said, MINE!! Skip was a plug wire Off

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/9/15 8:35 a.m.

Sometimes being with a car-gal is a double-edged sword. My ex- was as into cars I am. When were together she owned 4 to my 6. She now owns 5 with her new ND. The downside? Well, her cars/projects always took priority over mine.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/15 8:42 a.m.
plance1 wrote: Then, a few miles farther there was one of those 1990's buick roadmaster wagons (yes with the paneling) and I shouted out (correct me if I'm wrong fellas) hey that's got a chevy 350 in it! So I started slowing down. Then she started yelling at me, "NO! Do not stop this truck, DO NOT stop!"

You should've done donuts around the car while having a good look...not stopping! (bootleg turns would work for a FWD car)

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/15 8:48 a.m.

I get tons of grief when we're sitting on the couch watching something that I don't care entirely too much about or don't have to be looking at the screen to follow and am trolling Craigslist for cheap cars, but it's mostly in good fun- she likes teasing me about it but did grow up with both a step-father and father who were both car guys so as long as I'm not breaking the bank or doing anything entirely too stupid and I stick to the 4-car limit she's set, it's fine.

She didn't really blink when I decided to buy the $400 Blazer of Glory despite it needing a new engine- it does help that these days I try and make sure that she can also drive anything I pick up even if it means I have to discount most stickshifts...

As to the answer to the question of how to get really good deals- the secret from what I've seen is exactly what was stated: always be looking and don't hesitate. Ironically I largely got the Blazer over the others interested in it because I didnt' try and quibble over the price- there are times when trying to bargain the price down is definitely the right move, but when it's already priced at about what you could get for it in scrap value sometimes it's just smarter to not try and squeeze that extra few bucks out of it.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
9/9/15 8:55 a.m.
wbjones wrote: boy I just love how all you guys "have to get permission to do what you like"

Yes,but anybody can talk tough on the internet.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
9/9/15 8:59 a.m.

I get grief for looking at cars on the iPad while watching TV too. She is legitimately mad most of the time though, but probably because I am hogging two devices.

The worst is when I try to bring up CL cars over brunch... That is not a topic of conversation she enjoys. But, she does try to play along sometimes though. She'll spot cars she thinks are "neat" in traffic and try to get me to identify what they were for her with minimal details like "it was red". It's still a fun game.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/15 12:12 p.m.
WilD wrote: I get grief for looking at cars on the iPad while watching TV too. She is legitimately mad most of the time though, but probably because I am hogging two devices. The worst is when I try to bring up CL cars over brunch... That is not a topic of conversation she enjoys. But, she does try to play along sometimes though. She'll spot cars she thinks are "neat" in traffic and try to get me to identify what they were for her with minimal details like "it was red". It's still a fun game.

We're usually watching something that she is more interested in than I am, so it's mainly just that she thinks I spend too much time looking at cars. Amusingly now that I HAVE a new project car- the Blazer- she saw me looking at CL last night on the iPad and said, "You're STILL looking at cars?!?!" and I smiled and said, "No- I'm looking for parts!"

Back when I first listed the now-sold Prius I had her proofread the listing I'd written up both for errors and to get an opinion from someone who WASN'T a car person and would look at a car more as an appliance. Her biggest beef with it was that I referred to it as a '2nd Gen Prius' which made absolutely NO sense to her. I explained it and that for most people who were interested in a particular kind of car, that would make perfect sense.

We were on a long road trip to visit her family, so she decided it was a fun thing to mock me about though and took to picking random cars on the road and going, "So what 'gen' is THAT?" She got tired of it quickly when she realized that for the most part I actually knew the answer and could justify it. She still pokes fun about it occasionally when we'll see a Prius on the road- and I never say anything about a Prius I see without referring to it by its generation...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lLU8xRnH7WxK9Qs6XsMqYzWmkgPNcpErMpb0KObSmTeSzBj7bFwUuo1smW31LdWC