1 2 3
captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/23/19 9:37 a.m.

So a few months back the wife got a 13 Jetta Wagen TDI 6 speed with only 29k miles. She started having knee issues(clutch side), so we are now looking to get rid of the car for an automatic. There are a couple TDI Wagens with auto nearby we could just trade in on, but she's eyeballing BMW, Audi, MB, etc sedans. Price range is around 13k, which makes me nervous. Most luxury cars in that range are higher mileage and probably going to be maintenance upkeep whores. There are some decent looking 328i e90s that may tickle both our pickles, but I'm just not sure it's worth it. We aren't in a huge hurry to throw cash at whatever, so I'd rather take my time to find the "right" car. Any suggestions?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/23/19 9:43 a.m.

I feel like Lexus is the answer to this question.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/23/19 9:43 a.m.

Personally, I'm looking at 08-10 Mercedes S550's in similar price range. But, I'll wait for a car that has lots of maintenance records with previous owners who took care of the car. Also, most of these cars in that price range have 95-125k miles on them. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/19 9:48 a.m.

Infinity can be nice too.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/19 9:50 a.m.

$5k should be able to get you a minty 740. Do or have someone do timing chain guides. 

I haven't owned one myself, and I'm sure they have their small issues here and there, but they seem decent. 

AWSX1686
7/23/19 9:51 a.m.

I would be cautious about an Automatic 328 E9x though. I just had one in for transmission issues. This time was an easy fix, but now we're pretty much waiting for it to give out all together. 

shagles
shagles New Reader
7/23/19 9:53 a.m.

If you can find a 328i with documented valve cover/gasket, oil filter housing gasket, and oil pan gasket replacement, you should be in pretty good shape. If not, I'd pass if you don't want to do it yourself. A shop will charge you upwards of $1k for the valve cover gasket alone since it takes forever to do. Took me about 7 hours. The N52 is a pretty solid motor aside from those reasonably small issues. BMW changed over to an electric water pump and better expansion tanks so you won't have the cooling system issues that are so common on e36/e46 cars. The next most common issue i've seen on these is the display on the non iDrive head unit getting a little wonky when it gets really hot outside. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/23/19 9:53 a.m.
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/19 9:55 a.m.

Do I hear a TLX in your future?

E90 BMW's are wallet busters especially at the range you are looking at. Luckily we got the extended warranty on that one. We billed almost 11K in 2 years to it between electrical gremlins and other issues like replacing all of the wheel bearings. The car was less than 40K miles too when we dumped it for a loss. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
7/23/19 9:57 a.m.

That sounds like the job for a V36 Skyline / G35/37.

If you could find one, a Lexus IS350 would also work well, but they're hard to find.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
7/23/19 10:20 a.m.

Acura? TL/RL? They have timing belts which need changing every 90k but otherwise are quite reliable and quick/luxurious. They (Honda/Acura) got a bad wrap for their auto trans a while back, forget the exact years, but if you are looking 08 and up you would be fine.

Plenty of TLs available and they are a nice driving car, I've had one of them and an Accord V6 (not to mention a rare CL Type-S manual) and only have good things to say.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/23/19 10:25 a.m.

Infiniti G35/G37. Available in coupe, sedan, convertible, AWD, RWD, stick or manual. Pretty common, fairly robust mechanicals, decent power, sporty, comfortable.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork

Guy who has owned a lot of late model German cars here. I am very familiar with the "[insert German luxury product here] will reliable if you keep up the scheduled maintenance" schtick.

Buy something Japanese and don't look back.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/23/19 10:27 a.m.

Here's a recommendation from left field.  

2013+ Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.  Lincoln depreciation brings under 50k miles into $13k price.  

Real Sample: 2014 w/56k miles asking $14,700

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/23/19 10:31 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That may just be worth a 4 hour trip.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/23/19 10:35 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I feel like Lexus is the answer to this question.

Lexus alphabet soup was my first thought.

Personally I’m not a fan of the TL but it meets all requirements.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/23/19 10:41 a.m.

Lexus or Acura is what I would do with those requirements. 

May not have the cred of the german sedans, but you also won't pay for your local mechanic and his trips to Hawaii.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/23/19 10:42 a.m.

My issues with most Lexus and Acuras are the hideous exteriors. The ones in our price range look super outdated. I know that's a silly excuse, but I'm sticking to it.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/23/19 10:44 a.m.
captainawesome said:

In reply to John Welsh :

That may just be worth a 4 hour trip.

Skip the Hybrid and they probably get even cheaper.  They offer a 2.0L turbo that is quite zippy. 

octavious
octavious Dork
7/23/19 11:02 a.m.

I came in here to also say Lexus.  

Sorry posted between when you said you didn't like the exteriors

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
7/23/19 11:07 a.m.
captainawesome said:

My issues with most Lexus and Acuras are the hideous exteriors. The ones in our price range look super outdated. I know that's a silly excuse, but I'm sticking to it.

I respect that opinion, no matter how wrong it is. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/23/19 11:19 a.m.

Our Acura TSX wagon is fantastic.

The reliability it affords me, gives me plenty of time to read the misery of German car owners

of course the exterior of me and my family are just as “hideous” as acura/lexus exterior - so I am ok with it

AWSX1686
7/23/19 11:29 a.m.

How about a Mazda 6 (or 3)? Again, no personal experience, but I hear that the current Mazda lineup has very nice interior.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
7/23/19 11:30 a.m.

G37 is the way to go here. 90% of a Bimmer, 10% of the maintenance.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DSpWczHmTBWPnup8iDkMvjkvDF1XZniRRIdHWem7133gVSLXGykOsZB9slqQDRpF