Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/18/17 1:52 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/O6WVWcVFS7A

Remember that home-brew Locost we featured in a video a few months ago? We thought you'd enjoy an onboard video of it in action. This car was built by Paul Wright and is based around a Honda S2000 drivetrain.

Watch more videos

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/17 2:02 p.m.

surprise

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
9/18/17 2:13 p.m.

First thing I thought was, "I wish we had a lot that big..."

Then, surprise

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
9/18/17 2:52 p.m.

HOLY CRAP!!!!! That was very almost sideways the whole way it seems. Very cool to watch and that must have been a hand full to drive for sure.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/18/17 4:22 p.m.

I just flogged a very comparable car (Duratech-powered Locost - 200WHP, 1400 lbs.) over 500 miles of backroads.  The thing that doesn't get spoken about a lot is how predictable a well-set-up Locost is. I call them "heromakers" because they allow you to push them very hard without  nasty surprises in store when you screw up. The caveat is that the live-rear-axle ones lose some of this predictability on rough pavement. 

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/18/17 4:33 p.m.

where does this take place? Can I live there?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/18/17 5:57 p.m.

Füwarking amazing. I love that he is able to use throttle to steer. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
9/18/17 7:37 p.m.

X2 on the chuck-ability of Lotus 7 / Locosts; I've driven a friend's Exocet on several occasions both on road courses and autocross courses and you can really hang them out.

The funny thing is I looked at the video and thought it doesn't look particularly sideways to me. Sure there's bits of opposite lock but seems normal to me.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/17 7:41 p.m.
Kreb said:

I just flogged a very comparable car (Duratech-powered Locost - 200WHP, 1400 lbs.) over 500 miles of backroads.  The thing that doesn't get spoken about a lot is how predictable a well-set-up Locost is. I call them "heromakers" because they allow you to push them very hard without  nasty surprises in store when you screw up. The caveat is that the live-rear-axle ones lose some of this predictability on rough pavement. 

I think the secret is the proximity of your posterior to the rear axle. Loads of communication about just exactly what is going on back there. Exocets are good at this, Sevens are better.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
9/18/17 7:58 p.m.

That got my adrenaline pumping!!!

I think I need a smoke now.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/18/17 8:03 p.m.

That is much better with sound for sure!!

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project New Reader
9/18/17 8:17 p.m.

Holy Christ that looked like fun

stroker
stroker UltraDork
9/18/17 8:17 p.m.

I've said it before.  I'll never ever be able to autocross.  I would never remember where to go or figure out quickly enough which cones to go through/right/left....

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/17 8:25 p.m.

That looked like a bucket full of fun. 

My first thought was, "Damn he heated up those rears on the launch."

My second thought was, "He should have heated them a little more."

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/18/17 8:25 p.m.
stroker said:

I've said it before.  I'll never ever be able to autocross.  I would never remember where to go or figure out quickly enough which cones to go through/right/left....

If I can teach a 15 year old girl to autocross, I gaurantee I could teach you the basics. You learn a LOT with 2-3 walks around the course and a good map.

That car looks insanely fun. I need a higher level of automotive violence in my life. 

kb58
kb58 Dork
9/19/17 2:18 p.m.
stroker said:

To be fair, if you were driving it wouldn't be nearly as bad. All sport-cams use really wide-angle lenses which make everything look *really* far away. He looks 3-ft away from the camera, the engine about 12-ft away, and the cones, miles away. It's all an illusion.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/19/17 2:42 p.m.

That is the MOST wide open autocross I have ever seen.

Are other areas like this?  There wasn't any tight turns at all.

Looked like fun!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WilLFXZeIZMBMuFv4bPeztwEo9UamBNK5Nq3QAIIjRxjKm2W1oq9u0PkszFIkbW1