roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/24/15 3:31 p.m.

This is a silly question, but I'm wondering if there are any noticeable handling changes when going from an OEM offset of +55 to a +48 offset?

I mounted a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow tires to my OEM 2015 WRX wheels and am thinking about picking up a set of OZ Ultraleggera 17x8 wheels to mount my stock Dunlop summer tires to in the spring. The new wheels would have identical dimensions to my OEM wheels (17x8), but would be 6-7 lbs lighter per corner and the offset is +48 (vs +55 stock).

Any noticeable changes in handling?

Will the slightly wider track actually be noticeable? Possibly in a positive way?

Any real changes in wheel bearing longevity?

It seems like a pretty insignificant difference in offset (7mm), but I figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance!

-Brandon

drdisque
drdisque Reader
11/24/15 3:38 p.m.

It is on the border of what would be perceptible. You'll probably notice that the car is slightly more planted and transitions a little slower. You would probably notice more of a difference if you were on stickier tires.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/15 3:39 p.m.

The lighter wheel weight is going to have a far more significant and tangible (positive) impact than the 7mm change in offset ever would.

kb58
kb58 Dork
11/24/15 3:42 p.m.

Will it change things, yes. Will you be able to notice, probably not.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 6:30 p.m.

I put 1 inch spacers on one of my VWs and didn't really notice anything.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YDV9vjIhkiJeHCKntfy2nPHMKrRxGOdwInW7zIjzLZZgsaPMrzPZfmZkuoN86V7k