Tooocool49723
Tooocool49723 New Reader
6/5/13 9:37 a.m.
feature_image

Sounds like a textbook cold solder joint.

I bet if you touch each solder joint on the backside of it with a soldering iron, you'll fix it for good. I had to do this with a cruise control module on an Audi A4 once.

Read the rest of the story

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
6/5/13 10:01 a.m.

Cold solder joints indeed - I have to give my Miata's DRL module a sharp smack once in awhile until I work up the flexibility and free time to try and pull it out of the pedalbox.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/5/13 10:40 a.m.

Before taking possession of our 1991 Nissan 240SX we knew that we had one issue to fix: The driver-side window was stuck in the down position.

Window regulator? Motor? Switch? Bad ground?

We broke out the multimeter and did some testing. The switch tested out good. A quick visual inspection showed that the regulator looked sound, too.

What about that black box hanging from the door's wiring harness? Before we could even test it, we learned something: Moving it around mysteriously brought the power window back to life. If we held it upside down, for example, the windows worked.

Turns out that it's a Nissan part, and some internet searching showed that its failure wasn't uncommon. Nissan lists its replacement at about $150, and we found online prices for a few bucks less. All sources said a replacement would have to come from Nissan.

We did the only logical thing: took it apart to see if there were any obvious problems inside. Our initial inspection didn't reveal any problems, and just for grins we decided to try the windows with just the box's circuit board plugged in.

As before, operation was intermittent. Then we either made a mistake or performed a miracle: We accidentally bumped the bare circuit board. Doh!

And that's when the window started working normally. So we put everything back together and went on our merry way. If the widows stop again, at least we know where to look.

Anyone else happen to stumble upon a fix that was way easier than expected?

We have been writing about Nissans since they were known as Datsuns. Subscribe to Grassroots Motorsports now.
2ndstorer
2ndstorer New Reader
6/5/13 12:48 p.m.

Love the last pic.

Porsche in the garage... Check. 240sx in the driveway... Check. Offroad vehicle with a solid axle... Check.

Seems to be a pretty fun stable of cars at that house!

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
6/5/13 6:42 p.m.

Us FC3S RX-7 owners know all about cold solder joints- the stop lights and horn are on the same PCB and are notorious for not working.

If the window regulator wigs out again, then you should just apply some fresh solder to all the joints on the PCB. It's a simple job.

David S. Wallens
6/5/13 7:25 p.m.

Thanks. Yeah, plenty of cars here at the house. One leaves this weekend (sniff) and another will probably follow soon after (sniff, again).

David S. Wallens
7/2/13 5:53 p.m.

Knock on wood, it's about a month later and the power windows are still working fine.

niys
niys
11/16/13 3:56 p.m.

I had to resolder the connections between the pins and the board never had an issue again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1h6cbiqaiAjkpwkRjTu1xK1pde11kAe22knKxK4xItSwZffXOGDqPoKDTXxETjwf