triumphcorvair New Reader
Dec. 5, 2011 1:00 p.m.

As some of you might recall I posted a request on how to "cutdown" a windshield back in September for my 67 Spitfire. After looking at multiple options, i.e., sandblasting, waterjetting and scoring the windshield, I've decided (well it was decided for me) that lexan is probably going to be my best option. The waterjet and sandblasting folks don't want these small projects and the glass folks don't want to try the traditional scoring the glass and lighting it with alcohol. I've read that lexan has issues with scratching and yellowing but it is not a brittle as plexiglass. Some folks say it can also be easily polished. So, I'm thinking a 48" x 7" piece of lexan should be easy to moulded to fit into the windscreen frame without any major issues. I plan on using machine screws to secure it to the frame. Any other comments, drawbacks or experience with using lexan?

Shaun HalfDork
Dec. 5, 2011 2:47 p.m.

In my experience Lexan is fairly forgiving if you cut or drill slowly at fairly high speed with . making a flat pattern that will fit, once deformed to a shape that is far from a plane, is not simple without a CAD program that makes flats from complex surface. Trying to cut as you go could be a nightmare. Starting with thinish polypropylene sheet to get a pattern might work, but off the cuff that does not sound like fun.

Dec. 5, 2011 2:53 p.m.

Could you make a mold from the inside of the original and lay hot Lexan on it? These guys do good work and might be able to help you.

http://www.glapinc.com/Corporate/solutions.htm

mw HalfDork
Dec. 5, 2011 3:30 p.m.

As long as you only have curvature in one direction and a decent frame to hold it in place it should be fairly straight forward.

oldtin Dork
Dec. 5, 2011 3:37 p.m.

If it's not a compound curve you can probably just screw/rivet the lexan in the frame and call it a day. Tight/compound curves might take some heat. Lexan takes something over 300 degrees. There's an interesting thread on pelican that leads to a canopy site... lots of info about making a molding oven on a GRMish budget.

linky

Keith SuperDork
Dec. 5, 2011 3:39 p.m.
Shaun wrote: In my experience Lexan is fairly forgiving if you cut or drill slowly at fairly high speed with . making a flat pattern that will fit, once deformed to a shape that is far from a plane, is not simple without a CAD program that makes flats from complex surface. Trying to cut as you go could be a nightmare. Starting with thinish polypropylene sheet to get a pattern might work, but off the cuff that does not sound like fun.

Buy some brown wrapping paper from the post office. Works a treat.

Dec. 5, 2011 3:41 p.m.

Thanks for the good input. I checked out the glainc website and see they do windscreens for race vehicles. I'll contact them and see what kind of response I get, providing they aren't too expensive.

Dec. 5, 2011 3:45 p.m.

In reply to triumphcorvair:

You can use me as a reference if you wish. Their shop is in Flint, my family has written their insurance for many years and I have bought parts from them. Send me a message if you want more details.

Dec. 5, 2011 4:07 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: In reply to triumphcorvair: You can use me as a reference if you wish. Their shop is in Flint, my family has written their insurance for many years and I have bought parts from them. Send me a message if you want more details.

Ok, Many thanks for you help!

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: Our First Drive of the Original BMW M3

23 hours ago in Articles

We tested BMW's E30-chassis M3 back in 1989. Here's what we thought.

Follow Us to the Nürburgring

4 days ago in News

Follow along as James Clay from BimmerWorld contests his first ADAC Zurich 24-Hour race at the Nürburgring.

Shark Bite: Back in 1997, Hyundai Was Into Rally

4 days ago in Articles

A Hyundai Tiburon as a rally car?

You Need This: Mazda RX-7 Turbo II Roller

4 days ago in News

What would you do with an empty RX-7 tub?

Great Moments in $2000 Challenge History: Minor Gasser

5 days ago in Articles

Here's what happens when you put a Chevy 350 in a Morris Minor.

What’s the Soonest That You Have Raced Your New Purchase?

5 days ago in News

This BMW M3 was wearing numbers 24 hours after getting registered.

You Need This: 2005 Lotus Elise

6 days ago in News

A Lotus Elise looks so right in British Racing Green.

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

6 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're big fans of the Mazda MX-5. Now Mazda went and put a retractable fastback on their fourth-generation car. So, ...

Project Ramp Truck: Installing Sound Deadening

6 days ago in Project Cars

Time to cut down on heat and road noise making its way into the cab.

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

1 week ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

1 week ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

1 week ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
ITN0mpjyJBCx2CyrDReyFLprp1EODImx