Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/14/18 8:40 a.m.

Getting pretty close to doing all the wiring on the miata.

Lookingfor good diagrams.

99 miata

2000 impala 3400

2004 Buick rendezvous 3400

Anyone have alldata and can email it to me? Or an accurate place on tbe internet i can print from?

Also:

In the process of building this, i decided to convert water temp and oil pressure gauges in the factory cluster from the miata to mechanical, and add a tach that reads a 6cyl. What all is needed in the factory cluster for stuff to work? Or can a stock miata body still operate without a cluster? Im talking lights, charging system, turn signals. Those are really the only things i need to add that arent handled in the cluster by the aftermarket parts. Fuel gauge should be simple to adapt, but speedo may be hard.

wae
wae SuperDork
6/14/18 8:45 a.m.

For the Miata, I have found the manuals on mellens,net to be pretty helpful.  Here's the Wiring Diagram section for '99.

I'm not sure how common this is, but our public library has a subscription with Chilton's for on-line access to all the Chilton manuals and most of them have pretty good wiring diagrams.  You might check your library website to see if you can get that.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/14/18 9:34 a.m.

Unfortunately our library does not have Chilton's. I just called them to ask because my County's website sucks. Thank you for the wiring diagrams for the 99!

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/14/18 9:45 a.m.

2000 Impala.   Hope it helps.

New Wiring Diagram For 2000 Chevy Impala Chevrolet Ignition Wiring 2000 Impala Diagram Diagrams 1955 Chevy

Dirtydog
6/14/18 9:46 a.m.

Here's another.

Images Wiring Diagram For 2000 Chevy Impala 2009 Chevrolet Impala Wiring Diagram Free Download Wiring

Dirtydog
6/14/18 9:56 a.m.

This is for a 2003 Rendevous.

2003 Buick Rendezvous Fuse Box Diagram #19

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/14/18 1:27 p.m.

The rondevous looks right based on a qick look. Impala seems to be .too old.

I appreciate the assistance!!

Wonder if keith can comment on the gauges....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/18 1:34 p.m.

NB Miatas don't have a body control module, so the car will continue to work without the cluster.

To get that tach to work with a 6 cylinder, you'll need to drop the frequency by a third. The Miata has a waste spark ignition so it has two pulses per crank revolution. Your V6 will have three. Or you just change the gauge face. Or write on it with a sharpie.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/14/18 1:39 p.m.

Replacing the guts of the tach with a sun super tach adapted behind the face.

Will the speedo and odometer still operate off a gm vss?

Can i straight wire power, ground, and signal to the fuel gauge? Or is there another part of the circuit?

Lastly, on the inside of the cluster at the bottom between the fuel gauge and tach, theres a circuit board. What is that?

Keith Tanner
6/14/18 1:44 p.m.

The speedo and odo will work, but may need to be tweaked if the frequency is wrong. We use a Dakota box for this purpose on our V8s.

I've never tried to isolate the fuel gauge on an NB. On an NA, all it needs is the three wires. Try it, it's easy enough to tell.

The NB cluster has an onboard processor. I don't have one handy to see exactly where it's positioned right now, but its in the wiring diagram.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/14/18 1:54 p.m.

Thanks keith.

Trying to build subsystem in my shop, while car and parts at dads shop is interesting. Makes research much more valuble, but hands on much more impractical.....

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/18 2:26 p.m.

Uh, I thought in a previous thread it was thought that the Imapala ECU would output a more or less standard tach signal. 

Keith Tanner
6/14/18 2:46 p.m.

Standard signal type is not the same as a standardized frequency. Kinda how Morse code is a standard alphabet, but you can use it for different languanges.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/14/18 2:58 p.m.

I had the supertach, and hve used them on dis gm before so i know they work. Easy button....

At this point in time perfect has gone out the window to be replaced by expedient solutions.

Keith Tanner
6/14/18 3:22 p.m.

Yeah, your solution should work. I was just trying to explain why a "standard" tach signal still wouldn't be right with a Miata tach.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uc6FBiyKr7b6eCKjKsMvzgxDa1L63aS56PkApsBCbxTvBlxBaZhUAZvyAwcATt3L