1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/24/21 1:44 p.m.
feature_image

The United States Postal Service has chosen Oshkosh Defense's Next Generation Delivery Vehicle to replace the long-in-the-tooth Grumman LLV—replacement process that's expected to take place over the next 10 years.

As the current LLVs are phased out over that 10-year timeframe, they could potentially be sold via government auctions to the public. That means you.

Why would you want an LLV? Perhaps because you're weird like …

Read the rest of the story

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/21 1:53 p.m.

2030 GRM $2000 Challenge sub-class

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
2/24/21 1:54 p.m.

"LS swap it" is the first thing that comes to mind. It may be a cliche, but it's a cliche because it works. And because, since it's based on an S10, there should be plenty of parts available to do this. Some other possibilities:

• Pontiac SD4 motor - the race spec version of the Iron Duke.
  • Get an Oldsmobile Bravada AWD parts car, add turbo, build a Syclone-clone.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/24/21 2:16 p.m.

Fun fact:  The current LLVs were produced from 1987 - 1994.  The first digit of the vehicle number relates to the year it was built.  So, the model pictured was produced in 1989.  Now, use that knowledge to see how old the truck in your neighborhood really is.  

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/24/21 2:17 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I'm going to have to pay extra attention when the mail comes by to find that out.

Thanks for that fact. smiley

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/24/21 2:17 p.m.

Didn't the man who's office is oval mandate that all new govt vehicles have to be electric?  Including these mail trucks?  

2/24/21 2:18 p.m.

Holy crap, they're only 2700 lbs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
2/24/21 2:19 p.m.

S-10 chassis , so swapping it to 4wd should be almost a bolt-in thing. LS swap while you're at it..........the ultimate overlanding vehicle?    Maybe not.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/24/21 2:23 p.m.

That thing is just begging for some kind of motorhome conversion. 

2/24/21 2:36 p.m.
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/24/21 2:37 p.m.

You'd need to cut like 20" out of the height to get it challenge legal :P

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/24/21 2:38 p.m.

Make one into a food truck serving tapas?

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
2/24/21 2:44 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Or just widen it until the tires sit entirely outside the body and then slam it to just above scraping. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/24/21 2:46 p.m.
rslifkin said:
ProDarwin said:

Or just widen it until the tires sit entirely outside the body and then slam it to just above scraping. 

So widen it 20" then :P

I can't imagine the slalom times

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/24/21 3:24 p.m.

It's ashame the chassis isn't more rigid, I always wanted to prep one for rallycross. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/24/21 3:29 p.m.

I'm looking forward to the first LLV in Lemons. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/21 3:32 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Didn't the man who's office is oval mandate that all new govt vehicles have to be electric?  Including these mail trucks?  

These have a path to all being EV and most probably will be EV's

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/24/21 3:48 p.m.

It is hard to imagine a worse vehicle for 90% of any use. It is perfect for LeMons and the Challenge, because of the odd intersection of commonality and weirdness... But these things are good for low speed, high durability, and thats about it. Every postal worker I've talked to say they basically suck. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/21 3:58 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
John Welsh said:

These have a path to all being EV and most probably will be EV's

Yeah, the OshKosh NGDV article says they are available as both battery EVs and ICEs.  It doesn't say which one the government's buying, but this kind of service (local delivery, short trips but with frequent stop/start) is something EVs are really good at.

Also, I suspect the executive order mandate is likely to apply to purchase decisions being started after some date.  Any contract that's been announced today has been in the works for multiple years at least.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
2/24/21 4:07 p.m.

I was just thinking the other day about how old these mail trucks must be and wondering what motor they had. The starter must be way overburdened on these.

I would love to have one for some silly reason. It’s close to an Eagle Summit wagon in dimensions. Or a Transit Connect maybe...

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 New Reader
2/24/21 7:19 p.m.

It's a good thing the new ones have A/C because the windshield has more solar area than the Sahara. Plus, holy crap they're ugly.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/24/21 7:24 p.m.

I can't imagine why anyone would want one of those chunks of E36 M3. 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
2/24/21 7:45 p.m.
Rons said:

Make one into a food truck serving tapas?

In envelopes

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/24/21 8:07 p.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

It's a good thing the new ones have A/C because the windshield has more solar area than the Sahara. Plus, holy crap they're ugly.

As for the windshield, it looks that the wipers will only swipe the top half of the windshield and then I'm concerned that if the blower/defrost comes out of the cowl/bottom of windshield, it will only be strong enough to clear the lower half of the windshield.  If the blower/defrost comes out of the top of windshield then the bottom half of windshield will neither be cleared via wiper nor defrost thereby negating the whole extreme visibility thing.  

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
2/24/21 8:14 p.m.

It looks like there might also be a tiny wiper at the bottom of the windshield? Not sure.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TJaEJe6K4AT9htptkXAQk6M5fvYnJAkZ65Nb1EElFVPyz8MkI3afA5OBcAEKWGjq