David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/9/20 8:19 a.m.
feature_image

Daihatsu sold cars in the U.S. market for about a hot minute–1987 through early 1992–and sadly that was well before releasing the Copen, a two-seater that, while maybe not a Miata-beater, still looks fun. 

It falls into Japan’s kei car class, meaning just 660cc and about 63 horsepower. Zero to 60 takes close to 10 seconds. The hardtop retracts and, …

Read the rest of the story

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/9/20 9:02 a.m.

A lot of character in a little package.  It's too bad that there's no market for anything like these in this country.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/9/20 10:36 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

I hear you on that. I could see how great Kei cars could be if you live in a big city, but I don't think highway driving would be very enjoyable.

Between this Copen, the City, and the Cappuccino, I'm itching for my own Kei car now.

David S. Wallens
1/9/20 10:51 a.m.

I took my Mini on the highway once. Once. Around town, yes, it works well. 

Still, I'd love a Cappuccino. I think that's the one for me. Make it dark green, please. 

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
1/9/20 10:53 a.m.

When I went to the Tokyo Motor Salon in 2008, more than half the stands had a tricked out Copen on display.  

David S. Wallens
1/9/20 2:43 p.m.

In reply to Type Q :

Yes, I was also there that year. The other day I was thinking that it's time to go back. Then I realized it's going on now or really, really soon. So next year. It's time to go back. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IHy5K0QuVARaC3x26p62tDSPeV1HFjyppP0v8DDD1HGvni6L0awry5PpzJQWEJfS