David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/5/20 8:16 a.m.
feature_image

A lot of legendary drift videos were shot at Gunsai Touge, a collection of winding roads that make up the Gunma Cycle Centre.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1J1LaNYmCqo

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XE15isFkeRA

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
2/5/20 9:21 a.m.

Is everyone so quiet on this one because they're busy shopping airfares? 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/5/20 9:24 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

A quick Google search tells me that cheapest month to fly to Japan is April. wink

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
2/5/20 10:46 a.m.

Tried watching videos muted at work, they just aren't as good...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/5/20 10:49 a.m.

After several threads about Japanese cars, anime and so forth, maybe it's time to organize a GRM trip to Japan? Would a group of 8-10 people be able to negotiate some special rate for hotels and airfare?

Anyone speak Japanese? A guide/translater who be a huge help.

David S. Wallens
2/5/20 10:51 a.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

After several threads about Japanese cars, anime and so forth, maybe it's time to organize a GRM trip to Japan? Would a group of 8-10 people be able to negotiate some special rate for hotels and airfare?

I went on the old Turbo magazine tour several times. I believe DSport picked it up. It was great fun--Tokyo Auto Salon and then a bunch of car/non-car stuff. It was all arranged through a travel agency. They provided bilingual guides, too. I went like eight or so times. 

My wife and I were just talking. It's time to go back. 

David S. Wallens
2/5/20 10:52 a.m.

(By the way, to go behind the scenes, you're seeing a last-minute change for WotD--I had different ones written but decided to move them around at the last minute because I have to overthink stuff. Hope you're all enjoying them--and invite your buds to check them out, too.)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/20 11:04 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Is everyone so quiet on this one because they're busy shopping airfares? 

Some of us are hard at work so we can afford to shop for airfares .

David S. Wallens
2/5/20 11:05 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Same. 

_
_ Dork
2/5/20 11:23 a.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

I will tell you first hand you should not go to japan with a large group. NONE of the buildings you enter are equipped for so many people, especially large Americans. The Japanese are actually frightened when an enormous group shows up. If you have to do a large group, show up in pairs and sit in pairs anywhere you go. DO NOT TALK ON THE TRAINS. As a Japanese speaker, and someone that recently went to japan, I cannot stress this enough. No loud talking, ever. No yelling. No tipping. Don't frantically wave arms or run (unless emergency). Always stick to the left side of the stairwell or escalator. Always let people pass by on the right. Don't take up too much room. Don't bring a big bag with you everywhere. Don't bring too much luggage. I have PLENTY more to talk about if someone wants info. 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
2/6/20 10:41 a.m.

Didn't get a chance to drive Gunsai, but I did get to spend some time on the Hakone Turnpike.

David S. Wallens
2/6/20 11:06 a.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

That rules. 

_
_ Dork
2/6/20 12:27 p.m.

I did the same thing this August. It's was incredible. Where'd you get the r34? I rented my 86 directly from Toyota. Really painless. 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
2/6/20 2:43 p.m.
_ said:

I did the same thing this August. It's was incredible. Where'd you get the r34? I rented my 86 directly from Toyota. Really painless. 

fun2drive. They have a whole fleet of cool things.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3SOUE6S6FHp27RztaApEIYAsN8pmqsSIaSsr8ALUkcFlxF0g9uhb0nqwhaFQaEjc