David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/6/20 8:10 a.m.
feature_image

Photographs Courtesy Honda

The original Honda City–built from 1981-’86–was cuter than a button, shared the stage with ska legends Madness, and featured its own dinghy. 

What’s that last item on the list? Optional was Honda Motocompo, a 49cc scooter featuring retractable seat, pegs and handlebars. The value statement: Park the City just outside said city and scoot the rest of …

Read the rest of the story

aw614
aw614 Reader
1/6/20 8:52 a.m.

First time I saw the Honda City and Motocampo was in the anime You're Under Arrest! that the main characters used. That reminds me I need to finish up that series. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/6/20 9:11 a.m.

I read an interview with the guys from Madness about that.  Apparently Honda flew them to Tokyo and they wrote the song, recorded it, and did the video in something like 36 hours.  They mentioned how difficult it was to communicate "we need more treble on the bass drum" to a non-English-speaking Japanese recording engineer in the middle of the night.

kudzu
kudzu New Reader
1/6/20 9:26 a.m.

There's a "'85 Honda City Turbo II" included in the Hot Wheels "HW Race Day" 10-car collection. The City is car 5 of 10. The collection also includes some significant race cars from past and present: 

'16 Mercedes-AMG GT3    
'76 Greenwood Corvette
Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR
Ford GT-40
Volvo 850 Estate
Formula E Gen 2 Car

David S. Wallens
1/6/20 10:17 a.m.

The Lane museum has the pair in their collection as well. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/20 11:48 a.m.

My buddy got a motocompo. they are so weirdly awesome.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/6/20 11:52 a.m.

The Honda City Turbo was the first boosted Honda. The second was the obscure Honda Legend Wing Turbo.

David S. Wallens
1/6/20 11:53 a.m.

And this dealer is fairly local. We need to go hang.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/6/20 2:16 p.m.

You can still get them, new, for about a buck.

David S. Wallens
1/6/20 6:47 p.m.
Duke said:

I read an interview with the guys from Madness about that.  Apparently Honda flew them to Tokyo and they wrote the song, recorded it, and did the video in something like 36 hours.  They mentioned how difficult it was to communicate "we need more treble on the bass drum" to a non-English-speaking Japanese recording engineer in the middle of the night.

There's more than one Madness commercial for the City. And how come we didn't get ads like this?

David S. Wallens
1/6/20 6:52 p.m.

Something I just learned about Madness: Despite being formed back in 1976, the entire current lineup was there for their heydays in the '80s. Madness.

David S. Wallens
1/6/20 6:53 p.m.

Also, there's another WotD (short for Word of the Day) coming tomorrow. smiley

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/20 7:34 p.m.

Taken at a local car meet about six or so years ago.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/20 7:38 p.m.

motocompo's go for more money than the citys do now iirc

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
1/7/20 10:58 a.m.

I would love to autocross one of these.  I read a thread a long time ago about a guy swapping a B16 into one of these.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/7/20 12:35 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Something I just learned about Madness: Despite being formed back in 1976, the entire current lineup was there for their heydays in the '80s. Madness.

Something else I just learned about Madness:  Steve Nieve, the keyboard player from Elvis Costello's Attractions, was also in Madness for a few years around the same time.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
1/7/20 1:08 p.m.

* two words

David S. Wallens
1/8/20 8:40 a.m.

Just realized (duh) that we're talking about Madness without brining up this little earworm:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/8/20 7:30 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

It's the heavy,  heavy monster sound!

David S. Wallens
1/8/20 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Never saw them live. I saw something about them playing with English Beat. I'd go see that. We've seen English Beat a few times, and always a good show. Not that I wouldn't see Madness without English Beat, of course. 

Also, the only band to make two appearances on The Young Ones (best show ever).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ATUHoyFeilzRySRKTLhQL4ObGNQdgcz5gPWA1w1IjV2EK2G0KzX6vkoKYnPhGziN