1 2
ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/20/11 11:35 a.m.
Taiden wrote: http://www.amazon.com/Triton-Products-76901-DuraHook-Assortment/dp/B000PHDHIU treat yourself to locking pegboard hooks. I wish I had

Huh... I think I wish they'd done that upside-down (tab on top, screw on bottom). I kinda like that they won't accidentally lift out, but it seems like for the weight of the tool I'd rather use the support of a hook behind the pegboard, and only rely on the integrity of threads in pegboard to prevent accidental lift-out...

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
10/20/11 5:04 p.m.

I got some slot board out of an empty store front during demolition. Put over the garage doors for storage of rarely used stuf.

For my benches I have two that are particle board with galvanized steel on top and edges. They are 3' x 8' and 3'x6' . I dove in the dumpster behind Galyans when it was being remodeled. I also have a kitchen counter top on my Snap-on tool box that I use for delicate work. If I remember correctly it is 6' long and the standard kitchen debth.

Do yourselves a favor and get some of the interlocking foamy rubber mats from horrible freight and put down infront of your bench where you stand. Saves your back, knees, and feet. Chairs and rolling stow won't roll very easily over it tho.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
10/20/11 5:59 p.m.
ransom wrote:
Taiden wrote: http://www.amazon.com/Triton-Products-76901-DuraHook-Assortment/dp/B000PHDHIU treat yourself to locking pegboard hooks. I wish I had
Huh... I think I wish they'd done that upside-down (tab on top, screw on bottom). I kinda like that they won't accidentally lift out, but it seems like for the weight of the tool I'd rather use the support of a hook behind the pegboard, and only rely on the integrity of threads in pegboard to prevent accidental lift-out...

I agree completely. I remember seeing the style you wished for, but I can't seem to find them right now.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/20/11 9:45 p.m.

Back when I had the space and the opportunity, I built a three module workbench. One part was height for standing, one part was height for sitting, and one part was dedicated for really messy stuff so that the rest could stay clean enough for household item repairs.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/20/11 10:12 p.m.

I hate pegboard.

There is NOTHING pegboard can do that I can't do with plywood, nails, and brackets or blocks.

Well, there is one thing pegboard can do- continually annoy me when the pegs fall out, or cost me more than necessary. Oh wait, that's 2 things.

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
10/21/11 10:09 a.m.

I also have pegboard. I don't care for it and am going to replace it with the slot board. I bought the peg board cheap from the cull bin at Home Depot. Half a sheet (4x4) with slightly singed corners for $1.00 a piece.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/24/11 12:49 p.m.

Ok so at work I have a piece of counter top I can take off with that is 56" long by 36" wide. I think if I cut it in half that it will be too narrow. Is it worth bothering taking it?

ransom
10/24/11 12:51 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Why half? Does it need to be doubled-up for rigidity? Or can you just cut 6-12 inches of width off and keep 24-30"?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/24/11 12:54 p.m.

I don't think 56" is long enough for a vice, bench grinder, drill press and at some point tabletop lathe.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/24/11 12:55 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Ok so at work I have a piece of counter top I can take off with that is 56" long by 36" wide. I think if I cut it in half that it will be too narrow. Is it worth bothering taking it?

Seems almost perfect. If you want it more shallow rip it longways or fill the back with useful storage like a craftsman's chest and screwdriver rack (read: horizontal board with various sized holes drilled in it).

ransom
10/24/11 1:35 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Agreed. Didn't know you planned to put all that on there.

You might consider a separate stand for the metal-dust-makers. Seems like a lathe is also going to want its own stand; even a small one's going to take up a lot of real estate, but may not need workbench depth.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mejAsrV31grfIve35Te9fcBh28JEqqWTfDEFQHwwmgpf7N6RN6Hyv6gFufFYNol1