1 2
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/30/13 3:42 p.m.

This was posted by a canoeist in the open classifieds; it is so absolutely terrifying I just had to repost it here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-MX-5-Miata-RHD-Mazda-Eunos-Roadster-1990-jdm-rhd-mazda-miata-mx-5-eunos-/321196158465?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ac8c86e01&vxp=mtr

As if the M3 bumper wasn't bad enough...check out the welding on that roll cage

I sent the seller an eBay message asking which club/series he raced with...curious to hear the response.

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
8/30/13 3:49 p.m.

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
8/30/13 3:50 p.m.

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
8/30/13 3:52 p.m.

The concept looks cool........That roll ball looks terrible. The quality of welds, smashing of tube...PVC might be safer!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
8/30/13 3:56 p.m.

Heh.
RHD always catches my eye, I'm wired wrong like that.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
8/30/13 4:20 p.m.

Personally, I like how the fire extinguisher appears to be zip-tied to the "roll bar" (seems overly generous to call it that). Given the top drawer engineering in the rest of the car, I'm sure those zip ties have been precisely engineered to have the right tensile strength to allow free use of the extinguisher in an emergency, while preventing the same extinguisher from becoming a 15 lb, melon-smashing missile.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
8/30/13 4:30 p.m.

That fire extinguisher is actually an automatic discharge fire system that he just has to pull the pin, squeeze and hold the trigger to automatically dispense the fire retardant.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
8/30/13 5:07 p.m.

Wtf

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/13 5:39 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: Heh. RHD always catches my eye, I'm wired wrong like that.

The best part is that the PO actually welded a RHD front clip onto a LHD US car. Let's hope it was the same guy who welded the roll cage, because he's obviously a "more is better" kind of welder.

Is that a shoulder harness attached to the top of the roll bar hoop?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/30/13 5:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Is that a shoulder harness attached to the top of the roll bar hoop?

No, I think we can just call it a noose at this point.

mancha
mancha New Reader
8/30/13 5:58 p.m.

I particularly like the part where he talks about the custom seat being bolted to the roll bar and NOT the floor. Cause, ya know, the roll bar is like the strongest part. So if you get in an accident bad enough to start a fire, you probably won't be in the car anymore. At least part of you...

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
8/30/13 6:00 p.m.

The bar isn't wide enough too,

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/13 6:26 p.m.

At first I was like

Then I was like

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/30/13 6:30 p.m.

Looking at the cage, I get the sense it was in something (a truck) that had a very serious incident with getting rubber side up.... the artist behind this freakshow cut it out... redid the top hoop (sort of) and welded it all together... it got rolled over once, should be good again, right?

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/30/13 8:16 p.m.

You know, I actually like the paint job. And the matching helmet is a nice touch...

bluerooster
bluerooster New Reader
8/30/13 9:51 p.m.

Reckon what would happen at Tech inspection?

"Those Are highspeed tires, I cut the tread off of 'em myself".

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
8/30/13 10:02 p.m.

"fully right hand drive"

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/30/13 11:13 p.m.
bluerooster wrote: Reckon what would happen at Tech inspection? "Those Are highspeed tires, I cut the tread off of 'em myself".

Get. The. berkeley. Out. Of. Here. NOW!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/31/13 6:26 a.m.

Those crushed roll bar tubes: I peed myself a little and no it's not my prostate. EDIT: 7:30 AM 8/31, there's a $100 bid. Which one of you is it?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
8/31/13 6:45 a.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

It has to be someone from here, their bid history includes triumph motorcycles, and quite a few other vehicles.

This is definitely one of those "it won't make it out of reserve because it isn't worth scrap" auctions.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
8/31/13 8:34 a.m.

Someone welded the front end of a JDM miata on it? What's so JDM about the front clip of the car. Usually there's little to know difference in the shell of a car, right?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/13 12:23 p.m.

The RHD part is different in this case.

alex
alex UberDork
8/31/13 12:32 p.m.

The front end has the face of an inbred moose, and it appears the M3 bumper was "blended" with Play-Doh by a kid who just got off the short bus.

And he painted his license plate.

(I actually kind of like the paint, too. And I always go for a screen-less speedster Miata.)

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
8/31/13 1:05 p.m.

My first thought when I saw the cage was "Exhaust tubing !" and it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it used either.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
8/31/13 2:21 p.m.

That is one the most horrendous things I have laid my eyes on. Curse you SlickDizzy for bringing it to my attention.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
malbAHdurm4jqhXaMXeONTwe5dmSzZWLw5ivudaJMltWBPHxXibedixDdg0SLfrI