1 2 3
SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
10/17/17 7:58 p.m.
dculberson said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

As a counterpart to the thread for pretty race cars, let's have one to celebrate the ugliest.

This LeMans Cadillac thing:  

Only if you mean AWESOMEST. C'mon. That thing is super rad. The history of it makes it just incredible.

IMO, it looks like a Citroen and a bar of soap had a one nighter....

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
10/17/17 11:17 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

You owe me a keyboard...

citroen and a bar of soap, grumble grumble, Pepsi, grumble grumble...

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
10/18/17 7:43 a.m.

Sorry!laugh

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/18/17 7:51 a.m.

For that matter, dirt track "late models":

Ugly, but fast

They look like somebody made a race car body out of an upside down johnboat. But they are a lot of fun to watch in action.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/18/17 8:38 a.m.

I'm with the Deltawing isn't ugly camp. It was an interesting concept which we could debate the merits or lack there of for days with no consensus. But leaving aside it's actual or perceived effectiveness I don't think it was ugly at all.  I"d go so far as to say it is/was rather elegant if very unconventional.  I think most people can't get past the fact it's not a traditional layout and dismiss it immediately and unfairly.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/18/17 8:45 a.m.

The ugliest racing car is the one that just hurt your driver. The second-ugliest one is one that is stopped at the side of the track before the checkered flag flies.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/17 8:58 a.m.
chaparral said:

The ugliest racing car is the one that just hurt your driver. The second-ugliest one is one that is stopped at the side of the track before the checkered flag flies.

TIL:  I have the second-ugliest race car of all time in my garage.  Provenance.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
10/18/17 9:50 a.m.
freetors said:

In reply to fidelity101 :

I'm gonna have to disagree with that one. It's beautiful in form and function. And you have to respect an engineer that's willing to throw out the rulebook and design from first principles.

thats entirely different reasons, this just looks ugly, as a race car.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/18/17 12:07 p.m.

And since AMC Matador coupes have a bit of a hatedom going on this site:

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
10/18/17 12:32 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I'm with the Deltawing isn't ugly camp. It was an interesting concept which we could debate the merits or lack there of for days with no consensus. But leaving aside it's actual or perceived effectiveness I don't think it was ugly at all.  I"d go so far as to say it is/was rather elegant if very unconventional.  I think most people can't get past the fact it's not a traditional layout and dismiss it immediately and unfairly.

It still looks like a penis.  I guess those can be elegant though...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/18/17 12:46 p.m.

I put dragsters on the other thread. I'll do the same here:

Toss up here:

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/18/17 1:53 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

For that matter, dirt track "late models":

Ugly, but fast

They look like somebody made a race car body out of an upside down johnboat. But they are a lot of fun to watch in action.

The wedge late models of the 80's took it to another level.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/18/17 1:57 p.m.

Jim Hall's Super Sucker was very unique,   admittedly there were not a lot of rules for the class,   they still made it Illegal

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/18/17 2:15 p.m.

put me down in the camp that almost everything in this thread are beautiful beasts of speed (except the "rainbow cookie cutter" and "late models"), imho

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
10/18/17 2:33 p.m.

The COT was pretty rough to look at.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
10/18/17 9:55 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

My take:

The Fairmont is fuggly for sure.

The Mopar is funky, but in a good way.

The Pinto is Baddass!

Of course, these cars are from the era of my days at the US Nationals .....Back when the pro stock cars looked, at least a little like, the cars they were based on.

But then so did the funny cars.frown

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/19/17 12:13 a.m.
Tyler H said:

That cars not ugly, that car just sucks!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/19/17 7:10 a.m.
ross2004 said:

Honestly, with the exception of the rear wing, what's the difference between that and what races today?

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
10/19/17 8:27 a.m.

Crosley Hot Shot winning at Sebring.  Sort of winning, anyway.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
10/19/17 8:30 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Presenting "The Bug," widely credited for being the first dragster. An old Ford with pretty much everything not needed to get it across the finish line removed.

Behold, The Bug.

Here's the 999, that didn't have any of that unnecessary stuff to remove:

Barney and Henry approve!

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/19/17 10:29 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
ross2004 said:

Honestly, with the exception of the rear wing, what's the difference between that and what races today?

I never really got the hate on the COT.  I thought that they were a significant improvement over the twisted up cars that preceded them.  The current cars are significantly different from the COT but the most noticeable difference is that the brand specific noses are more diverse. 

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/19/17 10:38 a.m.

The Pinto and Matador actually look pretty decent here, not sure what the problem is.  I always figured the Matador Coupe could be made to look pretty decent with the right paint, stance, wheels, and de-cluttering.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/19/17 10:49 a.m.

In reply to pres589 :

I always said: "If a Pinto was good enough for Bob Glidden, then it was good enough for me", but really, they were ugly. I mean they were cool old Pro Stock cars, but they were still ugly. I am not going to post pretty Pro Stock cars here because I will ruin the thread, but when you consider how awesome, say, the Reher-Morrison second gen Camaro looks, the Matador and the Pinto look pretty terrible.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
10/19/17 11:03 a.m.

I guess I have a soft spot in my heart, or maybe my head, for the Pintos and Vegas.

In my formative hot rodding years, if you had a V8 pinto or Vega, you were pretty darn cool.

And if it was tubbed,  Look Out!

I never had one, so I guess I wasn't cool. I just had my ratty '69 Chevelle. Wish I still did.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/19/17 11:07 a.m.
fidelity101 said:

no deltawing yet from anyone? wow.

The original DeltaWing was plenty weird, but not as ugly as the 'coupe' version that followed it. Just look at the thing:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i3q9h6dQMWbzlLXVx8OfxHgBboC4vJMQPqGxng64l3y9eSME3vU7wrSQ9Kr7jBBH