HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
7/2/12 3:37 p.m.

Sorry, no LSx, V12 or twin turbo content.I'm just looking for some pointers on basic repair and up-keep for my wifes e34 525i.

The drivers side power seat is having some issues, and my Bentley manual doesn't have much to say about it. I'm sure someone out there in the Bimmer universe knows all about repairing them DIY style, but which of the plethora of BMW community forums caters to that kind of stuff? I'm new to the Bimmer scene and don't know where to start. Thanks.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/2/12 3:38 p.m.

Just ask here. I bet 3 beers you'll get the right answer within 24 hours.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
7/2/12 3:45 p.m.

I don't think there is one. The Porsche scene has Pelican and Rennlist, which are both great, but I haven't found a decent BMW forum that wasn't also riddled with bullE36 M3....hope I'm wrong because I would like to see one too.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
7/2/12 3:45 p.m.

bimmerforums has a ton of info and of idiotic stuff kids say.

Pelican Parts has a forum w/ some info.

I'd start with some targeted searching - like "e34 maintenance", that sort of thing

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
7/2/12 3:49 p.m.

If you decide to wade into Bimmerforums, go directly to the General BMW Mechanical Help subforum. That's where the real techs (dealer and indy) hang out, and there is a very good signal-to-noise ratio as a result.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/2/12 4:46 p.m.

RevLimited is mostly an e30 site, but I've generally found it to be helpful and friendly overall, as long as you stay out of off-topic and the general forums. It's pretty heavily moderated to keep the riff-raff and nonsense away. There is an E34/E28 section, but it doesn't really get much action. A lot of the e30 guys there would know about your questions there, I'm sure....and there is a lot of parts and maintenance crossovers in the models anyhow.

e30tech.com is another decent one, but you can't register with most free email addresses, so it's kind of a pain.

Pelican has some good info, but the forum is slow and not all that busy.

I stay away from Bimmerforums, where there seems to be the most nonsense in most section.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
7/2/12 5:42 p.m.

If they suit what you are interested in mye28.com, bmw2002faq.com, & s14.net are pretty good.

toad9977
toad9977 New Reader
7/2/12 5:45 p.m.

If you have and e30 or e36 with an m42, m42club.com is a very informative and helpful site to explore.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
7/2/12 6:06 p.m.
M2Pilot wrote: If they suit what you are interested in mye28.com, bmw2002faq.com, & s14.net are pretty good.

mye28.com is geared towards e28 cars, of course, but there are a number of e34 owners there as well. I'd check Bimmerboard, Bimmerforums and Roadfly for their specific e34 sections - it seems like each of them have some sections populated by good people and other sections populated by idiots, so you just have to review each one to see which is the best.

Also, there's a fair amount of useful information on the unofficial bmw website: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e34.html

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
7/2/12 8:38 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Just ask here. I bet 3 beers you'll get the right answer within 24 hours.

What he said...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/2/12 9:22 p.m.

Bimmerforums has a lot of idiots, but there is good info there if you dig. I found their how-to threads to be of great help when working on my E36 M3.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/3/12 5:22 a.m.

There used to be a Forum of local BMW enthusiasts, mostly college people with lots of ideas, knowlege and no money. For some reason it folded.

Other than Googling or visiting a local Auto-X, I wouldn't know how to find one.

Dan

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/3/12 8:41 a.m.

Another vote for bimmerforums. Fair amount of noise, but some very knowledgeable folks too. They've been great help so far in sorting out my new 8.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
7/3/12 8:58 a.m.

Not sure if you need to be a paying CCA member or not, but the BMWCCA forums are here:

http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.php

yamaha
yamaha Reader
7/3/12 9:40 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

You also get banned on bf.c for making a moderator look like an idiot........

bf.c was a decent site back then, as long as there isn't a 4cyl under the hood.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Fk5EbgfIkeda0IUm68tT1sInOUrkRj3NDA1EKfDnJa1fmlyOUfidlAdpw9cb5Tg