1 2
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/21 7:10 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

There was a thread recently about a Sonnett, where the freewheeling feature was discussed.  I assume all non-inline four SAABs had it.

I believe you are indeed correct regarding the freewheeling transmission.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
1/4/21 11:31 a.m.

And then there was the very rare 940 cc engine.  Not a factory product but they put out a book as to how to build one.  Had to make a copper head gasket as no stock ones.    I still have the gasket.   Engine long gone.

I think the '68 2 stroke was reduced to 820cc to get by emissions.

Use of proper 2 stroke oil is important.   I always used SAAB oil.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/4/21 11:43 a.m.

I run Yamalube R in everything regardless of who manufactured it......seems to work well.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/21 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That was my Sonett.  They used the same transmissions on the 2 strokes and the v4's.  It is hard to get used to the freewheeling.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/4/21 7:27 p.m.

I missed out on the car, but it was good to learn some more about them.  I think in the end it would have been a bit too underpowered for what I want it to be, but damn if it wouldn't be a cool car to own.  Maybe a Volvo Amazon....

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/4/21 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) :

Looking a Volvo Amazon with a modded B20 could be huge fun.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/5/21 5:38 a.m.

In reply to Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) :

As a driver if the price is cheap enough to consider it disposable,  sure- why not?  As something to finish nicely and show?  You would be making a statement about yourself that you would find yourself justifying constantly.  Maybe that's who you are and I'm out of line.  If so I apologize for my negativeness. 
Even cars I'm proud of I got tired of the same repeated questions.  So much so I had a sign painter do a nice display sign covering all the questions I had answered 200 times before. Then I went away.  Most of the people were wonderful, nice, and they just wanted to talk and share.

I just wanted to hang with my friends.Support my group and try to pay back some of the support staff that made racing possible.  
  Maybe because as a professional salesman I did repeated equipment sales and presentations. So much so it was like work.  

outasite
outasite HalfDork
1/5/21 7:53 a.m.

I did after spotting it sitting forlornly next to a house, owned it for a week and sold to a friend who just had to have it. I preferred my 96 V4 which I used to run fire trails in the NJ Pine Barrens.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
1/5/21 8:46 a.m.

My ears are still ringing and nose burning from the one that runs with the PHA.  For my own sanity I don't think I could do it.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
1/5/21 3:20 p.m.

For a long time I wouldn't own a SAAB due to the inconvenience of keeping track of when to add the oil to the gas.

Then when the oil injectors came out I grabbed one

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uvQY3LiNIPJqrFMpzA0F58mWWK3qqtY7YBJCAru3Mi1mukAe7LpE25DjM5vpqZjH