1 2 3 4
petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/10 12:08 p.m.

I found a 1-owner Accent SE(hatch) for sale. It's a 5-speed with AC/PW/PL. Runs & drives fine, needs tires & front rotors feel warped. Has the usually scratches/dings, plus some damage to the front fascia just in front of the passenger's wheel, but nothing to unsightly. The owner is pretty firm at $4995, which is KBB "fair" value.

Good deal, or run away?

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
11/23/10 12:25 p.m.

I would really like a chance to tear around in one of these cars sometime, I like the size and they aren't bad to look at (I won't call them sexy but they're decently styled I think), although I wonder if they can feel remotely quick without a lot of fiddling. Curious about grip and turn-in as well.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/23/10 12:26 p.m.

YES. actually... make that HELL YES.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/23/10 12:31 p.m.

Sounds cheap to buy, cheap to insure, and cheap to fix/replace. Go for it. Archaic designs like those make em EASY on the pocketbook.

petegossett
11/23/10 12:40 p.m.

Thanks!

Yeah it actually drove pretty well, especially for the less-sporty SE model.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
11/23/10 12:45 p.m.

Prices seem to be all over the place on those, but $5k with damage, and needs tires, and brakes? I like those cars, but that's too high.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/23/10 12:55 p.m.

The SE was the sporty version. had the 5-spoke 16" wheels, biggersway bars and different springs.

petegossett
11/23/10 1:01 p.m.

Oh, then I had it backwards. It must be the GS.

failboat
failboat Reader
11/23/10 1:04 p.m.

whats the mileage? 1st timing belt change is at 60k fyi.

I have just under 25k on my SE and zero issues. It handles well for a cheap fwd subcompact. 110 hp and ~2400lbs, so carrying speed and momentum is the key to having fun. Some camber bolts dialing in a little negative camber on the front tires and the car will turn in a lot better. Lightweight wheels and sticky tires add to the fun.

I have yet to need to do brakes on mine but the car is simple and easy to work on, I cant imagine replacement parts are too pricey.

full factory service manuals here for free. hmaservice.com

keep in mind the bare bones models (without AC, PS, Power anything) started around $9k new....

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
11/23/10 1:05 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

How many miles? Those things sold new for not a lot of money, so based on your description it sounds high to me.

petegossett
11/23/10 1:07 p.m.

55k, 1-owner FWIW.

failboat
failboat Reader
11/23/10 1:27 p.m.

since you would be the 2nd owner the warranty would be transferrable but I do believe it switches to a 5-years / 60k miles warranty for the 2nd owner from the typical hyundai 10 / 100k.

60k service, if you took it to the dealership to have it done it'll run you a few hundred dollars. You can really just take it to a shop of your choice or do it yourself. Off the top of my head I dont remember everything in the 60k service but have the info at home.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/23/10 1:31 p.m.

60k service includes timing belt (waterpump optional), spark plugs, wires, air filter,trans service and brake service.

Use an OEM belt, you'll thank me later. All told in parts you're looking at $250 tops with a new waterpump and coolant.

failboat
failboat Reader
11/23/10 1:33 p.m.

06+ accents use a coil on plug system, do they replace the coilpacks?

petegossett
11/23/10 1:47 p.m.

Oh really, due for a timing belt at 60k? Damn. Are Haynes manuals available/any good for these?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/23/10 2:04 p.m.

Why waste money.... Hyundai gives you the info free. www.hmaservice.com You sign up for a free account and access all repair procedures, bulletins, recalls.... all for free. Tehy aren't like some of the other brands (read: honda) that hide everything they can from the public eye.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/23/10 2:04 p.m.
failboat wrote: 06+ accents use a coil on plug system, do they replace the coilpacks?

Did they make the change? If so, no.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/23/10 2:41 p.m.
pres589 wrote: I would really like a chance to tear around in one of these cars sometime, I like the size and they aren't bad to look at (I won't call them sexy but they're decently styled I think), although I wonder if they can feel remotely quick without a lot of fiddling. Curious about grip and turn-in as well.

It is sexy! I can't honesty say my Accent is quick, but it is "peppy" with the 5-speed. The engine has a decent mid-range, and the ratios are close and short, so I find it quite fun to zip around it. With the OE 175/70/14 tires, turn-in is not super sharp, but I'm sure some 15's would go a long way to improving that. Overall, I am pleased with steering feel and accuracy. Grip isn't bad, and neither is body roll, though I have not had a good opportunity to really push it on pavement. Curvy dirt roads do beg me to turn in with some left-foot-braking, and with that the Accent turns into a rally car for just a few seconds. I would like to extend the gas pedal a bit to make it easier to heel-n-toe. On the other hand, the ride is very smooth and refined, the interior is comfortable and good quality, and it gets around 34 mpg. I've had many fwd econo-boxes, fast, slow, new, old, and I do like this one quite a bit.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/23/10 2:54 p.m.

If the best anyone can say about a car is "It doesn't quite suck" I'd be damned if I'd drop $5K for a damaged, dinged, 3yr old version that needs tires and brakes.

That money buys an almost perfect example of some very nice cars.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/10 2:56 p.m.

I'm with the "sounds overpriced" camp, especially if it also needs a timing belt in the next 5k.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/23/10 3:03 p.m.

^ if all you want is something for a year and to then resell it? Nope. If you want somethign you can depend on for the next 150k miles and drive every day for a minimal cost of upkeep, this is the one.

petegossett
11/23/10 3:32 p.m.

Which is exactly why I'm buying it. I'll put 100k+ on it over the next 3-years, then pass it on to one of our kids. Though the idea of turning it into a pseudo-rallx car is intriguing, especially for my winter commute.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
11/23/10 3:38 p.m.

Why pseudo rallycross? Heck, make it full-on. I wish more people played with these so that there would be an actual aftermarket for them.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/23/10 4:42 p.m.

we're trying Per! We're trying!

failboat
failboat Reader
11/23/10 4:44 p.m.

this fellow is on stock suspension.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mUdLFjYhtmcjF1rUI2Yse1LKqQuMAPjBc8NdcCbttz5UzmgJdVqQinZYKtCDbkXj