1 2 3 4
Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/23/10 4:55 p.m.

I'm telling you an 01-06 Elantra sedan on hatchback springs would be AWESOME for rally-x. Lots of suspension travel, decent power and can be set up to rotate on dirt.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
11/23/10 4:57 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Why pseudo rallycross? Heck, make it full-on. I wish more people played with these so that there would be an actual aftermarket for them.

Hyundai Accent: The preferred recce vehicle of choice for Hardyboy Racing at national events. No ABS/traction control, lightweight, likes to rev, tossable, decent ground clearance, and a larger trunk space than my Impreza.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/10 6:15 p.m.

Why pseudo Rallycross??? Because the last one within 2-hours drive of here were ones I organized about 7-years ago, and I just don't have the time to try to do it again.

petegossett
11/23/10 7:07 p.m.

Oh, and BTW I bought the Accent. Talked him down a bit, got it for $4750.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
11/23/10 7:43 p.m.

Mmm, I do so love that generation in hatch-flavored.

Pics?

petegossett
11/23/10 7:51 p.m.

I'll get a couple pics thursday. I won't be able to get it plated until Saturday, so it will be parked at home, and this time of year leave home before dawn and don't get home until after dark.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
11/23/10 10:50 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: lightweight, likes to rev,

They're not lightweight by any means, and the complaint I've heard from people who have driven them is that, for a 1.6, they sure don't like to rev.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/23/10 11:04 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote:
They're not lightweight by any means, and the complaint I've heard from people who have driven them is that, for a 1.6, they sure don't like to rev.

Who needs to rev when you got 106 torks to play with?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/24/10 7:14 a.m.
Zomby woof wrote:

The old SOHC 1.5's dod not like to rev (literally running out of breath at 5k), but the DOHC 1.6's were good to 6k. They're more of a midrange engine where the meat of the power is between 2500and 4500rpms. Not a bad little engine and virtually indestructible.

petegossett
11/24/10 7:49 a.m.

Found a pic of it from their c-list ad.

Accent

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/24/10 8:10 a.m.

^ That's just a base model, not an SE.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
11/24/10 9:47 a.m.
Zomby woof wrote:

Mike, get out and test drive some new cars, compared to a lot of them nowadays, this one is ok. Its no Honda though rolling eyes in your direction

And about lightweight; its pretty close to being the LIGHTEST car currently available in a mass produced fashion. The early 90's called, and they want you back

failboat
failboat Reader
11/24/10 10:02 a.m.

the only subcompact thats lighter these days is the Mazda 2. Most others are a wash or weigh more.

I agree with Bobzilla on the powerband, definately feels like the peak power falls between 4k-5k but redline is around 6250 or so.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/24/10 12:23 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Found a pic of it from their c-list ad. Accent

I want that color. Mine is black, which I like, but I like that blue more.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/24/10 12:53 p.m.

Someone here has a 2 dr Elantra with MINI rims and it looks very nice.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/24/10 1:26 p.m.

It's an Accent. 2-dr Elantra's don't yet exist.

petegossett
11/24/10 1:57 p.m.

Yeah, it's almost the same shade of blue as my wife's Fit.

I think I have a set of Miata daisies in my shed, and I have a couple friends who each have a set of E30 bottlecaps. I just need to decide which wheels get the snow tires & which ones to use for summer. Oh, and I ordered a cheap set of rally mud flaps from rallyarmor.com

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/24/10 2:12 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Miata wheels should fit perfectly. I think the centerbores are even the same.
DID U GET THE RED MUDFLAPS?

failboat
failboat Reader
11/24/10 2:12 p.m.

white bottlecaps ftw

also miatas have the same wheel centerbore as an accent so the wheels are hubcentric.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/24/10 2:37 p.m.

Ok, now I need bottle caps. Not white, though. I hate cleaning wheels with a thousand spokes.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/24/10 2:42 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: It's an Accent. 2-dr Elantra's don't yet exist.

I guess that is why I could not find this picture.

Taken from here:
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/rented-an-08-hyundai-accent/11096/page1/

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
11/24/10 2:53 p.m.

^ That one is hawt.

petegossett
11/24/10 3:16 p.m.

No red mud flaps, I got the cheap $15 black ones.

I like those white bottlecaps!!! Though I wouldn't want to try to keep them clean either.

So, does anyone make something to shim up the spring perch on strut cars? (Besides those cheap lug things they sell at Autozone) I'm thinking about 1/2" lift, snow tires on white bottlecaps, and those rally mudflaps would be perfect.

Ooh...now that I think about it, I believe I have a set of MkI GTI Recarros above my garage, and I know a guy who does upholstery, and he happens to want me to do some work for him.... Wonder if I got a set of Hyundai seats from the junkyard, how hard would it be to cut off their mount/rails & weld onto the Recarros???(obviously after removing the upholstery.)

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/24/10 3:34 p.m.

You can get those rubber ring coil spring spacers. Just jack up a corner, and slide the spacer between some coils. I have used those successfully to minimize excess suspension compression, and perhaps raise ride height a 1/4" or so for offroading in my Jetta. I wouldn't trust the things entirely as a long-term solution to anything, but at least they are cheap, and easy to insert/remove. Looks like dis http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41E1G1N1YTL.SL500.jpg

failboat
failboat Reader
11/24/10 5:02 p.m.

Only thing to concern yourself with on replacing seats is some of the models have side airbags built into the sides of the stock seats. There should be a visible tag on the side of the seat if your car has them. Also I think the passenger airbag is activated by more than 60lbs sitting on the front passenger seat. Not sure if that sensor is something built into the seat or where it mounts to the floor.

Those mini wheels look nice but arent they like 25lbs a piece! oem 16's are around 18. I bitch about weight but still have ~15lb 15's not sure but have to weigh...i think these 16's are around 16 lbs a piece...need tires

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EJ0vtJSC0DdoREKbfQiVvlxRO3IxwxhzEbKRnwPjrtBiPemZQxW7bD5MgZA6qr2q