1 2
octavious
octavious Dork
9/15/18 12:58 p.m.

I currently daily drive a 2008 Mustang GT manual, convertible, premium trim (heated leather seats, side airbags, stereo, blah blah) in very nice condition.  It has 129k miles and I really like it. But... I’m a Porsche guy at heart, and due to being bored at work and having fast internet, I found a guy interested in trading the Mustang for a 1991 944 S2 convertible, manual, 70k miles, (leather/leatherette seats, blah blah), and is also a really nice example of the 944.  

I’m kinda torn.  I look at the Mustang as a nice daily but nothing jaw dropping about it. I look at the 944 as an older 4cyl version of my current car, again not a jaw dropper, but not something you see everyday.

So I’m curious what the hive has to say? 

octavious
octavious Dork
9/15/18 1:00 p.m.

Vs

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/15/18 1:22 p.m.

You already have a v dub and an air-cooled 911. Plenty of German quirkiness to keep you busy. You'll miss the white appliance and its reliability. 944 vert is cute though

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/15/18 3:01 p.m.

944. No doubt. One of the best handling cars of the era and still very good. AND it's a cabriolet! They're pretty rare...

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/15/18 4:36 p.m.

944, though as a daily driver not sure I want to cash in the "easy reliability" of the Mustang for a car that, while pretty reliable, certainly requires a bit more maintenance and attention. I love my 924S for many reasons, and a 944 S2 is better in every way I already like the car.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/18 4:53 p.m.

The 944 is certainly more special, and given the rarity of that particular example, going up in value. But I have to think the Mustang is easier to live with day-to-day.

Unpopular opinion: As much as I love 944s, I'm not a fan of the cabriolets. The roofline is a big part of what makes them so sexy.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/18 5:08 p.m.

Mustang. I don't like the Cab version of the 944 or 968 at all. If it was a hatch, 944 all the way.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
9/15/18 5:10 p.m.

I always thought the 944/968 cabriolets looked awkward.  Plus the maintenance on them is not for the faint of heart (I've owned two 951's).  Then there's old german car syndrome where stuff randomly stops working....

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/15/18 5:14 p.m.

I used to daily a 944 turbo.  Great car,  but I would probably stick with the mustang over a non turbo convertible 944.

also,  not to threadjack,  but I’m semi looking for another 944 turbo.  If anyone knows of a good one for sale please pm me.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/18 5:15 p.m.

944s2 all the way but I would want a tin top I think the convertibles are ugly. 

These are definitely on the up swing in value where as the mustang will continue to depreciate until it is the basis of a challenge build. 

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
9/15/18 6:31 p.m.

I say stuff big chunks of the Mustang into the 944 so you can enjoy both at the same time.

octavious
octavious Dork
9/15/18 6:47 p.m.

@Cotton a sent you a message about a 951 I saw today.

octavious
octavious Dork
9/15/18 6:50 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

The 944 is certainly more special, and given the rarity of that particular example, going up in value. But I have to think the Mustang is easier to live with day-to-day.

Unpopular opinion: As much as I love 944s, I'm not a fan of the cabriolets. The roofline is a big part of what makes them so sexy.

Interestingly enough, I don’t like the roof of the 944 cab either. When looking at it from the rear quarter the roof just looks weird.  But I do like dailying a convertible.  Even in the TN summer heat and humidity, every afternoon it’s not raining the top comes down. Every day. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/18 8:53 p.m.

The 944s I have been in were painfully slow compared to almost any modern appliance.

I couldn't do it.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/15/18 9:06 p.m.

In reply to octavious :

Thanks!

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/18 9:24 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

The 944s I have been in were painfully slow compared to almost any modern appliance.

I couldn't do it.

An S2 isn’t the same as a regular 944.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/18 11:07 p.m.

as much as I love convertables, the 924/944/968 just looks better as a hatch.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/16/18 8:08 a.m.

For a daily driver, Modern ergonomics, reliability, and parts availability would sway me towards keeping the Mustang.

ToplesS2
ToplesS2 New Reader
9/16/18 8:57 a.m.

As one who made almost this same switch (not a trade tho) 7 years ago (2007 GT coupe, M6 California Special for 1991 S2 Cab) I can tell you I've never regretted the decision.  The S2 gives me the driving thrill that was always missing from the GT with being able to carve up corners in the Western NC mountains - corners like it's on rails.  And I finally get to own the car I had on a bedroom poster as a teenager.  Maintenance wise it's pretty easy, though some parts are made of unobtanium (top bows, air flow meter).  If you pull the trigger make sure the timing belt has been done within 3 years/30k (all 944's) and that the cam chain pads have been changed (S2 specific).  And get ready to talk to strangers as many folks have never seen one.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
9/16/18 10:35 a.m.

Not exact case but had a similar decision to make a month ago. '05 S197 5-speed VS '09 E92. 

Mustang was built as a DD/ fun car but later turned into a toy and therapy car. Wasn't driven much anymore and stored in the winter w/ tire swap. The E92 w/ AWD and Altimax tires was a year round driver. Cars were factory rated w/ in a couple/ few hundred lbs of each other, w/ in a tenth 0-60 and 300 hp each. I loved 'em both.

E92 won and the S197 was sold.

I'd go w/ the  944, Mustangs are dime a  dozen if you should hanker for one later.

Good luck.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/16/18 11:52 a.m.

I dailyed my 91 cabriolet for a summer, it was good if not great. I agree it’s going backwards though, you’ll miss the ease of the Mustang.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/16/18 11:56 a.m.

I've not driven a 944, but the mustang has to make more torque where it counts. Over time I've realized that I really enjoy torque in a daily driver. Super cheap parts and maintenance is a bit of a factor too. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/17/18 7:14 a.m.
Stefan said:
wvumtnbkr said:

I couldn't do it.

An S2 isn’t the same as a regular 944.

I know. Even the turbo cars are okayish.

rodknock
rodknock New Reader
9/17/18 7:38 a.m.

With the way the P-car market is I bet you could drive that for a couple of years and not lose any money. 

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
9/17/18 7:56 a.m.

I was in a similar situation last year.  I bought the older car (2001 330ic), and drove it for a month before selling the trusted car (2006 focus) I had been driving daily for 10 years.  I recommend this approach if you can stand to have an extra car for awhile.

The E46 was a terrible financial decision, but I don't care, and it makes me happy to drive it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n2QG5hVYxsKPr0m8Jcs85y2OpnW7KuJsrlwb6mGV8NB8TXv1cv57hscE3LuQ1jOF