1 2 3 4
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/13 2:44 p.m.

Problem with a cab on the bed is that it's hard to get an engine in there using a hoist. Been there, done that with one of my older trucks. But it was great when I was picking up leaves, I just filled the thing from top to bottom. Wouldn't want to do that to a giant SUV.

I don't understand those hard bed covers at all. Seems like the worst of all worlds. My wife's work truck had one, it was useless. Then again, a 2wd V8 F150 regular cab is pretty useless around here regardless. But sporty...

rdommes
rdommes None
5/20/13 2:44 p.m.

SUV for sure - need space for junk.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/13 2:47 p.m.

I voted with my wallet. Crew cab pickup with soft tonneau. My wife has a crossover if we need to haul more than 4 people.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
5/20/13 2:51 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: 14 mpg -

Imperial mpg. Otherwise, no, it did not (physically impossible). Those don't even get 14usmpg on flat ground at 65mph.

car39
car39 HalfDork
5/20/13 3:03 p.m.

Had a Navigator and went to a F250 Crew short bed. The truck is a lot better hauler than the 'Gator. The Gator was great to haul people, the truck is surprisingly similar with the flip up center console on the front seat. I say truck.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/20/13 3:08 p.m.

I did a bit of digging around, it seems as though Ford is targeting 26mpg highway with 2015 F150......I wonder if that's with a smaller engine and reduced capacity.

Either way, I would likely be towing an open trailer with a Miata, or an open trailer an Exocet............so not like I'd need 10k capacity.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
5/20/13 3:34 p.m.

The 'best' option, or the one perceived as such, for each of us individually has absolutely no bearing on what would be best for you in your specific situation. As mentioned above, compromises are critical. Some of the most important facts to consider are what's the minimum tow rating you will need, how much of its life will actually be spent towing, what will it be doing the rest of the time when not used as a tow vehicle, how many seat belts does it need, how often will each of them be used and by whom, how many miles will you be putting on it each year, how important is fuel economy, how important are overall physical dimensions, is it one vehicle for everything always or is there another vehicle that can be used as the primary vehicle for certain specific duties allowing this one to be a little more specialized?

For me personally, over the years I've found a certain degree of minimalism to suit me and my lifestyle well. The smallest/lightest tool that can safely do the job is usually the one I will pick, and to this point I can't offhand recall any that I've looked back on and wished I'd gone with a larger/heavier alternative. Especially if it's going to be a daily driver, my head would be more where alfadriver is at with a smaller unibody SUV and a single multipurpose trailer. Keeping the towing weight down would be good justification to build an Exocet, and then the same trailer could pull double duty as your 'pickup' bed necessary.

Technically speaking a minivan is actually just about the most space efficient and practical vehicle ever made. It's actually a shame they are so poorly regarded...Not that I have any desire to drive one either.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
5/20/13 4:48 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: The smallest/lightest tool that can safely do the job is usually the one I will pick

Same here, in regards to vehicles though, mpg becomes an issue. If a small unibody SUV gets the same mpg towing as a 1/2 ton truck, well, I know which one I'd choose.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/20/13 4:50 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Great post, EXCEPT that most suvs are actually UNDERSIZED minivans when it comes to actual usable interior room.

Truth. The Durango that I used to tow with had a laughably cramped interior.

From my perspective, the only SUV to consider would be a GM product based on the pickup chassis. (Yukon/Suburban/etc) The Brand F and D offerings are crap in comparison.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/20/13 5:02 p.m.

I kind of want a ford excursion or suburban 2500 diesel but I am not sure which is better/more reliable. Would love a vegistroke excursion

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
5/20/13 5:05 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Same here, in regards to vehicles though, mpg becomes an issue. If a small unibody SUV gets the same mpg towing as a 1/2 ton truck, well, I know which one I'd choose.

Me too: The one that rides better, handles better, stops better, gets better commuting mpg, and generally just requires less space whether parked or on the road.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
5/20/13 5:21 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: Me too: The one that rides better, handles better, stops better, gets better commuting mpg, and generally just requires less space whether parked or on the road.

Except show me a vehicle besides a truck that does that and can tow 7000lbs (it isn't available). I think that's the biggest hangup; a lot of people on here sound like they typically tow miatas and mgb's on super light trailers.

Finding a trailer that weighs under 2000lbs is difficult (unless you go single axle), and I'd say the average persons car (race car or otherwise) NOT including spares is close to 3000lbs. Add 400lbs worth of human flesh, SPARE PARTS/TIRES (another couple hundred pounds easy) and if you are in to the whole "towing legally/within the towing capacity of the vehicle" you've basically gone over it/hit the max.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/20/13 5:28 p.m.

Come on. Do I really need to answer?

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
5/20/13 5:33 p.m.

Diesel 4X4 Ford van.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
5/20/13 5:43 p.m.

Never forget, vans were created to punish mechanics.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/20/13 5:47 p.m.
e_pie wrote: Diesel 4X4 Ford van.

I love GRM.

"I'm not interested in Vans"

"Hey, you should buy a van!"

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/20/13 7:54 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: Full size Burb all the way. It can do everything a full size truck can. They tow just as well.

Not quite:

A) 2500 Suburban not available with a diesel if you want a vehicle less than 20 years old.

B) Fifth wheel/gooseneck hitch.

I have an '02 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab. I looked at Suburbans, they're definitely cheaper, but we already own a minivan (Odyssey) and it does all of the non-truck stuff better than a Suburban does. So, 2500HD it was.

(And no, I haven't actually used the gooseneck hitch that it came with. That wasn't really a major criteria for me buying it, but it is something that a Suburban can't do).

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/20/13 8:14 p.m.

Swmbo votes suv and I agree.

Knurled
5/20/13 8:18 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Driven5 wrote: Me too: The one that rides better, handles better, stops better, gets better commuting mpg, and generally just requires less space whether parked or on the road.
Except show me a vehicle besides a truck that does that and can tow 7000lbs (it isn't available).

LT1-engined B-bodies (Roadmaster, Caprice, etc) had a 7000lb tow rating if you optioned them right.

How well it actually does it, I don't know. I personally wouldn't want to tow with a two-by. I got the Durango stuck on a flat wet gravel driveway trying to move a trailer. The 4x4 lever/knob/switch is very nice to have when that happens.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/20/13 8:28 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
HiTempguy wrote:
Except show me a vehicle besides a truck that does that and can tow 7000lbs (it isn't available).
LT1-engined B-bodies (Roadmaster, Caprice, etc) had a 7000lb tow rating if you optioned them right. How well it actually does it, I don't know. I personally wouldn't want to tow with a two-by. I got the Durango stuck on a flat wet gravel driveway trying to move a trailer. The 4x4 lever/knob/switch is very nice to have when that happens.

It seems you are a Ton high on your rating, that sounds like a terrible idea.

Knurled
5/20/13 8:55 p.m.

You needed the tow package and a equalizer style trailer hitch.

And yes, terrible idea, but not as terrible as flat-towing an RX-7 with another RX-7 using a hitch contraption using a poorly welded-up headset, bottom bracket, and crank from a BMX.

jstand
jstand Reader
5/20/13 8:57 p.m.

The drawback to many of the smaller SUV's and minivans are the unibody construction and echo chamber created by the cargo area. A full frame truck isolates the passenger compartment much better from the noise, and I suspect full frame SUV's would be similar to the truck

I was amazed how much noise there was the first time I towed the snowmobile trailer behind the Sedona. Maybe with a different ball mount it might be quieter, but the play in the ball mount in the receiver creates plenty of noises that I never heard in my trucks when towing, even with heavier trailers or pintle hook couplers.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/20/13 9:07 p.m.
Knurled wrote: You needed the tow package and a equalizer style trailer hitch. And yes, terrible idea, but not as terrible as flat-towing an RX-7 with another RX-7 using a hitch contraption using a poorly welded-up headset, bottom bracket, and crank from a BMX.

You are doing a fantastic job of contributing to the original intent of the thread.

Well done.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/13 9:53 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
HiTempguy wrote:
LT1-engined B-bodies (Roadmaster, Caprice, etc) had a 7000lb tow rating if you optioned them right. How well it actually does it, I don't know. I personally wouldn't want to tow with a two-by. I got the Durango stuck on a flat wet gravel driveway trying to move a trailer. The 4x4 lever/knob/switch is very nice to have when that happens.

depends on where you tow. Not all of us tow into gravel pits

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
5/20/13 11:44 p.m.

http://www.consumerguide.com/cadillac/fleetwood/used/

The Cadillac fleetwood with the LT1 and 3.08 rear plus the tow package did... which the probably sold about 5 of.

As stated elsewhere, that is an extreme case of "would you WANT to".

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JKrFM3P66EEpojZReKnq7hRqWilOYd0LMVD5DyZPocevwcyiofyu6WmzzZWs9b9I