1 2 3
codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/27/20 7:28 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Audi exclusive is @$4500 now for any color in their portfolio. For $8k they will paint it any color you want. Porsche has it, BMW too. It can get crazy. I know of a 7 series Bmw that has over $90k of the "Bmw individual" options. The a/c vents are wrapped in leather. 

My Audi salesman related a story about a Porsche customer who had ordered a new GT3 in the custom color "Gulf Blue" (Gulf livery from the 1960s).  He showed up to watch them take it out of the truck and was quite upset when it turned out that someone couldn't read someone else's handwriting because it had been painted "Golf Blue" instead...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/20 7:31 p.m.

You made the right choice. Krypton is loud, Chili is gorgeous. Chrome and Krypton have the same problem as the orange on the 2019 ND and the yellow NA Miata - they blow out the surface details. Chili accents them.

At the LOG in Aspen, it was Chili that stopped me in my tracks as I walked along a line of Elises.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/20 7:40 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Steve_Jones said:

Audi exclusive is @$4500 now for any color in their portfolio. For $8k they will paint it any color you want. Porsche has it, BMW too. It can get crazy. I know of a 7 series Bmw that has over $90k of the "Bmw individual" options. The a/c vents are wrapped in leather. 

My Audi salesman related a story about a Porsche customer who had ordered a new GT3 in the custom color "Gulf Blue" (Gulf livery from the 1960s).  He showed up to watch them take it out of the truck and was quite upset when it turned out that someone couldn't read someone else's handwriting because it had been painted "Golf Blue" instead...

That was a thread here IIRC.  Might have been deleted when litigation happened.

Apparently it was the last year for the model he wanted, and production lead times meant that, even if they were willing to, they couldn't just suck it up and order another car with the correct color because the vehicle in question was out of production.  Crappy situation all around.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/27/20 7:41 p.m.

Thanks keith! 

Very likely you saw my Chilli in person as I attend most of the LOG with Shinoo from Sector 111 and had been in Aspen 

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/20 7:54 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

I'm with you on the lack of ND color choices.  As others have said get a black one and wrap it. Look up "Engineering Explained" on YouTube; he picked up a black 2016 and had it wrapped in yellow. Looks amazing. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
12/27/20 7:55 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Steve_Jones said:

That was a thread here IIRC.  Might have been deleted when litigation happened.

Apparently it was the last year for the model he wanted, and production lead times meant that, even if they were willing to, they couldn't just suck it up and order another car with the correct color because the vehicle in question was out of production.  Crappy situation all around.

Lol, I know all of the players. The customer, the Porsche GM, the sales guy, etc. I have held the "golf blue" and the "gulf blue" color samples for that mess up in my hand. It was not a handwriting issue as a 5x7 painted metal square was also sent with the order. In the end, the customer gave the GM a golf club, painted golf blue, as a gift. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/27/20 7:58 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

I heard that story here on the forum a few years ago and said he should have figured out what Pantone code got him as close as possible to Golf Blue.  Nobody replied to that so I assume everyone agreed.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/27/20 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Oh well if he sent a nice paint sample with the request that's even better than the Pantone suggestion.  Sounds like the customer was a decent sport in the end.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
12/27/20 8:01 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Porsche requested a color sample as well as the code (and it was a Porsche color from the 70's). It was confirmed at least 10 times as "golf blue" a dark blue color, all through production. 100% a screw up in the factory. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/27/20 10:44 p.m.

The yellow Miata at the end of the row is wrapped. It looked good up close. 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/28/20 9:47 a.m.

Definite wrap.  Modern clear coat is tough and the adhesives on current wraps are well-developed.  It should strip with no impact just fine.  There are so many wrap options, levels ($) of quality and color/effects it is mind boggling.  Find the local exotic car dealer and ask who does wraps for the high end cars in town.  You may not end up there but that will give you a sense of what you can do.

Here's my 2017 A4 exclusive color, Toucan yellow.  As an ex-Dakar yellow M3/4/5 owner, once I saw this online after settling on an A4 and then looking for something other than my local dealer's white/gray/black options, I knew a phone transaction and plane tickets were necessary.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/28/20 11:00 a.m.

Maaco - who cares if cuffs and collars don't match?

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/20 12:10 p.m.
wspohn said:

Maaco - who cares if cuffs and collars don't match?

Seriously, who would let Maaco within paint slinging distance of a new car cheeky?

Another vote for a wrap, just get a high quality one and not one made from the cheapest E36 M3 vinyl one can find on the 'zon. That's were both the durability and the actual paint protection would come from. A high quality wrap isn't necessary going to be that much cheaper than a decent[1] paint job, but don't forget it doubles as paint protection film, which you probably want anyway if you're thinking about potentially reselling the car a few years down the line.

[1] IE, not a five figure paint job, but also not one sprayed by Stevie Wonder's seeing eye dog who forgot to mask off the soft top.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/20 12:19 p.m.

I have been very impressed with 3M automotive film and very disappointed with Oracal. I use Oracal for sign stuff but their car wraps aren't in the same class.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/20 12:31 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I had both my ND and the Giulia done with 3M PPF (ie, clear wrap) and so far have been very happy with the results. Although in my case there is always the question if I keep a car long enough to notice the difference in quality.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qnak5yGwnid4cODfr6EoElxANrbJFf5YjuSJdXauA56FUftHwrqf4mTVYY2xAcIg