bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/17/18 2:44 p.m.

Just wandering cars.com for korean crap like I do weekly.... did you know Turbo Velosters are down to $6-7k? BTR has their intake, exhaust, fmic and tune packaged for $2k, Koni and Eibach kit for another $800 on Tire Rack and 18x8 and 235/40's V720's for another $1500. That would put together a great handling, 2800lb 240whp pocket rocket without the throttle delay for right around $10k all in. Crap. I got to stop looking at this crap. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/18 3:04 p.m.

yes, yes you do.

Forte SX searches only cheeky

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/17/18 3:37 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

yes, yes you do.

but these are cheaper! 

Dave M
Dave M New Reader
10/17/18 4:46 p.m.

Cheap for a reason?

The door layout is less practical than a 4 door.

Other cars for the same money are faster around the track?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/18 4:59 p.m.

What autocross class is a stock one? 

Edit: 

Floating Doc
10/17/18 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Replying to my own post, to ask the obvious question, would this be competitive against the Fiesta ST?

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
10/17/18 5:10 p.m.

I do see a 2013 with 120 miles for $7k near me. On c-list.

What is that throttle delay you speak off?

I've considered a mini clubman as a fun driver and occasional autocrosser, in which I can take the kids in car seats.

This could fit that bill but I've never driven one.

Driven a few MINI's including my wife's cvt and always enjoy them, other than the cvt. How could this compare? 

My kia sorento appliance has been very good. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/18 6:42 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Not even close in Street class prep. Modded, possibly closer, but it also depends how far you want to go?

Floating Doc
10/17/18 7:25 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Thanks, since I already own an HS car that has no hope of being competitive, not considering another.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/18 3:04 a.m.
bobzilla said:
sleepyhead said:

yes, yes you do.

but these are cheaper! 

well, I dig the styling of the Veloster.  Make sure you fit inside one first.  Also, check copart/IAAI... they'll be real cheap there wink

the hatch would be useful for OneLap... especially if the rear seat is removed.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/18/18 5:29 a.m.

I like the looks. I like the idea. But my buddy has one, and it’s a wheezing bag of ass, and has been to the dealer several times for warranty work.  Slower than a stock Civic Si or FoST of the same vintage, though maybe a new snail & tune would help in that department. Unfortunately, without figuring out a way to shed some weight without sacrificing creature comforts, 200hp and 2,900 lbs. is not a recipe for “fun to drive,” IMO.

$10k-$12k gets you into a FoST or FiST.

Floating Doc
10/18/18 6:29 a.m.

How did they manage to make it that small and still weigh 2900 lb? I suppose that's an engineering achievement!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/18/18 6:40 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Just wandering cars.com for korean crap like I do weekly.... did you know Turbo Velosters are down to $6-7k? BTR has their intake, exhaust, fmic and tune packaged for $2k, Koni and Eibach kit for another $800 on Tire Rack and 18x8 and 235/40's V720's for another $1500. That would put together a great handling, 2800lb 240whp pocket rocket without the throttle delay for right around $10k all in. Crap. I got to stop looking at this crap. 

Holy carp.  Can you get an LSD too?  These have to be the bargain of the..well, not decade, but of the moment.  I've always liked how they look too.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/18/18 7:28 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

I like the looks. I like the idea. But my buddy has one, and it’s a wheezing bag of ass, and has been to the dealer several times for warranty work.  Slower than a stock Civic Si or FoST of the same vintage, though maybe a new snail & tune would help in that department. Unfortunately, without figuring out a way to shed some weight without sacrificing creature comforts, 200hp and 2,900 lbs. is not a recipe for “fun to drive,” IMO.

$10k-$12k gets you into a FoST or FiST.

250whp, not 200hp at the crank. I've driven them stock. The throttle response sucks. Tuned fixes that, as well as finds you a ton of power. FoST and I don't work, I don't like my throttle leg rubbing the console the entire time and the tiny gauges don't do my old eyes justice. The FiST is too narrow. WAY too narrow for a big guy like me. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/18/18 7:32 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

yes, there are LSD's available. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
10/18/18 10:25 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

How did they manage to make it that small and still weigh 2900 lb? I suppose that's an engineering achievement!

The Koreans are good at that. Old Hyundais seem like they were full of iron.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/18/18 11:36 a.m.
GCrites80s said:
Floating Doc said:

The Koreans are good at that. Old Hyundais seem like they were full of iron.

My 2002 Elantra, with weigh reduction, weighed 2880lbs with an 1/8th tank of fuel. 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
10/18/18 11:55 a.m.

Admittedly, I'm a recent Hyundai convert, but I look at that budget and think turbo Cobalt SS over turbo Velosters.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/18/18 1:53 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Try the 2019 version---- -it's much improved.   Also, although they list the curb weight at 2900+, when we weighed the Turbo R at JG's shop, the number was actually 2,791 lbs.   Sure, that isn't a lightweight, but it's pretty respectable these days. 

The new car is a huge step-up from the previous design,  They look similar, but drive like an entirely different animal.   Honestly the 2019 Veloster R was a huge hit here at the GRM offices.   We all loved it, and were extremely impressed at the cost / value ratio.   The older design was a decent car, but kind of meh.   The new one puts a smile on your face almost immediately.   

I'd hold out for a 2019--- or just buy one new for $23K.   

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iH5J75z7N4wikptq7MuP8g3MteUu28hgzWfTB4KI7wiCTphUssaMZMjliy1REjz3