joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
3/23/09 4:57 p.m.

My brothers 1992 wrangler needs new front ujoints on both sides. Does this job require an alignment? I dont see how it would, but a guy told him it does.

Thanks,

Joey

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
3/23/09 5:13 p.m.

If you are referring to the ujoints on the driveshaft, then no, you do not need an alignment. Perhaps "the guy" could tell the truck needs an alignment anyway?

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
3/23/09 5:30 p.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: If you are referring to the ujoints on the driveshaft, then no, you do not need an alignment. Perhaps "the guy" could tell the truck needs an alignment anyway?

No, the front axle ujoints. Maybe we are calling them the wrong thing, but the joints that allow the front wheels to steer but still be driven.

Joey

iceracer
iceracer Reader
3/23/09 5:49 p.m.

Called constant velocity joints, CV for short. If you can pull the axle without removing the hub, then it will not need an alingment.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
3/23/09 6:04 p.m.

It's been a long time since I pulled an axle on a CJ or Wrangler. Of course you need to remove the hub to get the axle out. You still shouldn't need an alignment.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/23/09 6:45 p.m.

Naw, shouldn't need an alignment.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/24/09 12:12 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Called constant velocity joints, CV for short. If you can pull the axle without removing the hub, then it will not need an alingment.

Nope - it uses U-Joints.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/24/09 6:39 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: Naw, shouldn't need an alignment.

correct.. no alignment needed afterwards.. Unless you break or bend something that is generally unbreakable or unbendable.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
3/24/09 10:08 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
iceracer wrote: Called constant velocity joints, CV for short. If you can pull the axle without removing the hub, then it will not need an alingment.
Nope - it uses U-Joints.

Oh yeah, I forgot they got cheap. Are they still using them. I know my Liberty has CV joints.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/24/09 10:39 a.m.
iceracer wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Nope - it uses U-Joints.
Oh yeah, I forgot they got cheap. Are they still using them. I know my Liberty has CV joints.

Yes, they are still using them. No, not because they are cheap. They are stronger. The newest Jeeps come with CV's on the drivesahft. They are good for about 100 yards off road, at which point you make boat anchors out of them and put aftermarket U-Joint shafts in.

Liberty != Jeep. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OieCVsYcJk51ASDPw8axP99M6aW7IdxdyVRYZhMIRUFEVuAdqM5aa6xnJ1kwJPS0