nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
8/2/13 4:52 p.m.

I realize this is similar to my previous thread asking about V6 and V8 Mustangs.

I’m talking about new 5 door hatches.

Is the STI worth nearly $8000 over a regular WRX? Sure, you get an extra 40hp, an extra gear, Brembos, driver controlled center diff, and larger forged wheels but will I even notice on the street? I’ll be driving to work every day, autocross maybe 5 or 6 times a year, MAYBE one track day.

Those forged wheels are nice but I’m likely to pick up a spare set of wheels anyway (snows and summers).

Also, will the Brembos be $$$$ to replace when an STI needs brakes? That concerns me a little. I think some upgraded pads (Hawk or similar) on the base WRX would be just fine for the use I mentioned.

They both have those awesome flares so there’s no real visual difference anymore. The WRX would have a sunroof where the STI does not.

I really don’t want to take the difference and mod a regular WRX to beat an STI. That seems to be the most popular answer.

Ready for your insight in 3… 2… 1… GO!

JAhmed
JAhmed New Reader
8/2/13 5:00 p.m.

As someone who leased this just 2 weeks ago:

I figure I can give my 2 cents. I considered this very question for weeks before jumping on a WRX Limited lease I couldn't refuse. For me, someone who is also daily driving/autocrossing the car (and plan minor mods similar to yours, not take the difference and build an STi killer), I felt that the extra money for the STi vs the performance increase was not worth it. One note I should add is the difference in insurance, which even in my location (Akron, Ohio) was so significant that I def. could not justify the STi. I would have loved the 6MT and brakes, but honestly this car is so competent that I highly doubt you'll miss the difference. This car is an absolute blast to drive, and I am coming out of a BB6 Prelude with a (i think) pretty dialed in suspension. The car has plenty of torque, is MUCH more compliant as a daily driver and gets slightly better mileage. For an all rounder, I can't really fault it.

The complaint most ppl level against this car is interior quality, with which I agree (it's pretty crappy inside), but the STi is no better. Is it worth 8k for better brakes/gearbox for your/my intended use? I certainly don't think so. I test drove both extensively and had plenty of nights to sleep on it. Good luck!

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/2/13 5:12 p.m.
nervousdog wrote: *I realize this is similar to my previous thread asking about V6 and V8 Mustangs.* I’m talking about new 5 door hatches. Is the STI worth nearly $8000 over a regular WRX? Sure, you get an extra 40hp, an extra gear, Brembos, driver controlled center diff, and larger forged wheels but will I even notice on the street? I’ll be driving to work every day, autocross maybe 5 or 6 times a year, MAYBE one track day. Those forged wheels are nice but I’m likely to pick up a spare set of wheels anyway (snows and summers). Also, will the Brembos be $$$$ to replace when an STI needs brakes? That concerns me a little. I think some upgraded pads (Hawk or similar) on the base WRX would be just fine for the use I mentioned. They both have those awesome flares so there’s no real visual difference anymore. The WRX would have a sunroof where the STI does not. I really don’t want to take the difference and mod a regular WRX to beat an STI. That seems to be the most popular answer. Ready for your insight in 3… 2… 1… GO!

i;ve probably chimed in on too many of these already, but what the hell. First point will probably result in a Giant Internet Argument That Can Never Be Resolved, but what the hell....:

The STi doesn't actually have an extra 40 horsepower. It's more like 15-20. It's pretty widely discussed/documented that the WRX makes about 280-290 at the crank (compared to STi's 305, which seems to be pretty accurate). Most people think Subaru under-rated the WRX so as not to make it close on paper to the more $$ STi, but the extra power makes it more competitive against other cars in its class (like the MS3, Ralliart, etc). Wouldn't be the first time..

I'm sure we could argue the point to death as internet stories, but I will note that I dyno'd my stock 09 WRX at MachV motorsports (a big Subaru tuner and a GRM regular). It was done the same day as the owners then-stock 08 Sti. If you really want them I can find the graphs, but the long and short of it was that my car put down about 15hp less than his STi did. Same dyno, same conditions, same day, both stock. I actually think there is a video from MachV on youtube with Dan saying "whoa.....that's pretty close to the numbers our 08 STi just did - you said this is stock?" Plenty of other comparitive dynos on Subie forums show similar. This was on the 09 and 10 at least, not sure if Subaru has changed the tunes on more recent years.

Stock WRX brakes are fine with HPS pads. I have the 06-7 4-pots on mine for a bit better feel, but the stockers did fine for DD and autocross.

Wheels are moot. You can buy aftermarket 18s for pretty cheap if you want them. Both cars come with SUMMER tires (not all-seasons), so you'll need a winter set either way if you live someplace where there is winter.

Extra gear is great for track work to keep the revs in the perfect powerband. I'm pretty happy to have a 5speed for daily driving, personally.

85k on my 09 WRX now. I've probably spent $2k total in mods on it (including several wheel sets). Stock it was a bit "soft" in the suspension, but otherwise I have no regrets about getting it over an STi, except when I'm at the track or it's snowing and I'd like LSDs.

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
8/2/13 5:14 p.m.

Thanks for reminding me. I checked and insurance is practically a wash. Less than $500/year difference.

JAhmed wrote: The complaint most ppl level against this car is interior quality, with which I agree (it's pretty crappy inside), but the STi is no better.

You've never been inside my 98K mile 2004 Ford Focus.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
8/2/13 5:15 p.m.

I've not driven either car, but from my reading of intelligent people on the internet the STi is not worth the extra money if you are going to drive like you describe. Apparently the more numb steering feel in the WRX can be solved with some pretty cheap poly bushings. The gearing is really short in the STi which is what actually slows it down in 1/4 mile times. I would think that in order to really differentiate the handling differences with that magical DCCD you would need to be at or very near 10/10ths.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/2/13 5:15 p.m.

WRX

The extra cost for the STi are not worth it.

The Brembo brakes pads and rotors cost major $$$$'s.

The ride of the STi is rough if you drive anywhere that is not smooth.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/2/13 5:22 p.m.

Nope, not worth it. Solely judging by your statement the sti would not be good value for your money.

To be fair though I wouldn't buy the sti wagon in the first place because I think it is a poor value for the consumer that they charge extra for the sti wagon over the coupe.

Wagon or sedan I would still buy the evo over the sti any day of the week.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/2/13 6:09 p.m.
Ojala wrote: Wagon or sedan I would still buy the evo over the sti any day of the week.

Mind elaborating? I've been intrigued by the Evo, but most people sway more toward the STi.

JAhmed
JAhmed New Reader
8/2/13 6:37 p.m.
Ojala wrote: Nope, not worth it. Solely judging by your statement the sti would not be good value for your money. To be fair though I wouldn't buy the sti wagon in the first place because I think it is a poor value for the consumer that they charge extra for the sti wagon over the coupe. Wagon or sedan I would still buy the evo over the sti any day of the week.

I respectfully disagree. For the OPs intended use, the WRX/STi are much MUCH better than the Evo. I test drove the Evo and worked the numbers on it extensively as well, but whatever advantages it had in steering response and overall handling were not enough to offset its terrible gas mileage, terrible interior and lack of low end torque. A WRX does not have to be revved into the stratosphere to get anywhere like the Evo does. The Evo was def a fun car to drive, and changed directions in an almost disturbing manner, but I could see it getting extremely old on the daily grind. The seats are the only high point in the interior...the rest of it makes even the WRX interior look acceptable.

I should mention that the final nail in the coffin for me was how I was treated at the dealership. Not just one, but EVERY Mitsubishi dealership I went to treated me like I was a 17 yr old looking for a joyride. One guy even attempted to convince me that if I was really serious about buying a car, I should just look at the base Lancer? It didn't even make sense. Even after explaining to the "top Evo expert" in the dealership that I am a practicing physician and I am very much interested in leasing/purchasing one of the cars on the lot, he looked at me like he didn't think I was serious. Left the dealer (throwing his business card in the garbage on the way out), went down the street to buy the WRX and never looked back. Of course, your results may vary.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/2/13 7:15 p.m.

I would get the WRX. I am a base model guy.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/2/13 7:43 p.m.

As I have said many times on this board I am a Subie guy. I have had 5 WRX/STis since 02 and I am waiting for the new-redesign in 2014 to be released as a 2015. I think the better value now is the WRX. Love the Brembos and 6 speed of the STi but can't justify the cost versus extra performance. In fact I will even go as far to say that the WRX hatch/5 door is the best performance value out there for the money. All weather capability, upper 4 second range 0-60, 5 doors, low -mid 20s mpg. Hard to beat.

Love the second posters pic of the white WRX. People complain that they are ugly, I think they are one of the sexiest cars out there.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/2/13 8:05 p.m.

In reply to JAhmed:

I would get the wrx out of the three. BUT between the evo and sti I would get the evo. Don Herring Mitsubishi here in Dallas is alright and they are selling evos in the low 30s. That sure beats the price of the sti for an even sharper driving car. But you can't get an evo wagon so there is that.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/2/13 10:14 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: Apparently the more numb steering feel in the WRX can be solved with some pretty cheap poly bushings.

I will confirm this 10000%. I have the whiteline steering rack bushings and the steering feel improvement is night and day. Plus it's a super-easy install. 10 minutes tops.

The other thing you'd want to do is get the Kartboy lower shift bushing (poly). It really gets rid of the rubbery feel by a good extent.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wXIJvH1908Vi26PDxv54XVBDdzF7WAwdYLSMTTJ6RzovCc3XZARe0fzptjHoaUcX