1 2
SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/28/11 7:36 p.m.

I'm looking for an S model, preferably 2005 or newer (negotiable), manual, no convertibles. I also don't want any boy racer colors like Chili Red, or Yellow. Just a basic monotone grey, black, blue, etc.

I know this will run me more than $2011, but I am also looking for a bargain, and I can't think of anyone better to keep their eyes out for one for me than my cheapa$$ brethren!

If you happen on a nice one at a good price, let me know.

Thanks for the help!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/28/11 7:50 p.m.

So do you currently have a Forester?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/28/11 7:51 p.m.

My son does.

Why, will it get me a MINI??

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/28/11 8:00 p.m.

If you want one sans sunroof (my main recommendation wrt MINI's), then be prepared to search a bit more. They're out there, but it'll take some time.

Over the years of casually looking for basically the same car, the NAM classifieds is usually the best place to go. Dealer prices tend to be on the high side.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/28/11 8:06 p.m.

NAM?

I kinda like the sunroof. The car will replace my wife's Miata, so the sunroof is OK.

This car will be me celebrating my maturity a bit, so I'll sacrifice a few performance bits for some creature comforts.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
11/28/11 8:08 p.m.
SVreX wrote: NAM?

www.northamericanmotoring.com

THE place for all things MINI on the web.

-Rob

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/11 8:12 p.m.
SVreX wrote: This car will be me celebrating my maturity a bit, so I'll sacrifice a few performance bits for some creature comforts.

I didn't think we did grown up around here .

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
11/28/11 8:22 p.m.

Their is nothing grown up about a supercharged MINI

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/28/11 8:27 p.m.

There is nothing grown up about me! Unfortunately, there ARE a few things getting old!

Upright seating position, BMW interior trim, leather (or leather-like) seats, tons of creature comforts- all stuff I once thought was just the kind of stuff for men in plaid pants.

I'll take my go-cart handling and sub 7 second 0-60's in something that hurts my knees a little less getting in and out of, thank you.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/28/11 8:28 p.m.
SVreX wrote: My son does. Why, will it get me a MINI??

Nah, might him some money from me though.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/28/11 8:31 p.m.
SVreX wrote: NAM? I kinda like the sunroof. The car will replace my wife's Miata, so the sunroof is OK. This car will be me celebrating my maturity a bit, so I'll sacrifice a few performance bits for some creature comforts.

So... driving a Miata just got too damn reliable, eh? Looking for a little "British" in your lives? MINI may be owned by BMW, but they have done a great job of carrying on in the best tradition of English cars: leak oil, flaky electrics, ergonomics that drive you to drink, but you love them anyway...

In that case, get a MINI convertible. We have one of each (a '07 vert and an '03 coupe with the sunroof). At hwy speeds, the 'vert with the top down is tolerable. The sunroof open is a damn near unbearable mix of noise and wind buffeting... and I've yet to ride a sunroof car that doesn't rattle (more than a MINI normally does).

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/28/11 8:33 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

I've got a 5 spd SVX I KNOW you would love!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/28/11 8:34 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
SVreX wrote: NAM? I kinda like the sunroof. The car will replace my wife's Miata, so the sunroof is OK. This car will be me celebrating my maturity a bit, so I'll sacrifice a few performance bits for some creature comforts.
So... driving a Miata just got too damn reliable, eh? Looking for a little "British" in you lives? MINI may be owned by BMW, but they have done a great job of carrying on in the best tradition of English cars: leak oil, flaky electrics, ergonomics that drive you to drink, but you love them anyway... In that case, get a MINI convertible. We have one of each (a '07 vert and an '03 coupe with the sunroof). At hwy speeds, the 'vert with the top down is tolerable. The sunroof open is a damn near unbearable mix of noise and wind buffeting... and I've yet to ride a sunroof car that doesn't rattle (more than a MINI normally does).

No 'Verts.

As a lover of econoboxes, I really can't stand what happens to the cargo space.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/28/11 8:36 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Wow-didn't know ebay never came through. I would love it, but being a 4 seater kills it.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
11/28/11 8:40 p.m.

JCW or average S? For Atlanta traffic you may need the handling package.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/28/11 8:41 p.m.

In all seriousness, go test drive a few, regardless of price... I know of very few who went from a Miata to a MINI and didn't go back after a year or two.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/28/11 9:10 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: JCW or average S? For Atlanta traffic you may need the handling package.

Either. I don't live in ATL. Flatlands. Wide open.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/28/11 9:11 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In all seriousness, go test drive a few, regardless of price... I know of very few who went from a Miata to a MINI and didn't go back after a year or two.

I've driven several and like them. What were the issues (other than a preference for RWD)?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
11/28/11 9:21 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Ian F wrote: In all seriousness, go test drive a few, regardless of price... I know of very few who went from a Miata to a MINI and didn't go back after a year or two.
I've driven several and like them. What were the issues (other than a preference for RWD)?

My issues were mostly service oriented. Not wrench friendly to a caveman. Floggability was mostly a 12 out of 10 though .

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/28/11 9:55 p.m.

I'm OK with that. This caveman won't be wrenching on it.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/28/11 10:10 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to SVreX: Wow-didn't know ebay never came through. I would love it, but being a 4 seater kills it.

Deal fell through.

It is, once again, my daily driver. Great car, but every time I get in and out of it my knees think my back would like a MINI.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/28/11 10:17 p.m.

They actually aren't bad to wrench on, once you get used to the quirks. I do all of the work on ours, but I've invested no small amount of money in the tools to do so. The main kicker can be the electrics. If something in the body control computer goes bad, then fixing it can get pricey and not many indie shops have the tools and experience to deal with them, so most owners get raped at the dealer. Dealer service can be hit or miss, as well. Go in with low expectations and you'll be ok.

Even after eight years, I can only deal with driving one for a few days before I'm itching to get back in the TDi. It's hard to describe why. They're just more wearing and uncomfortable to drive. The seats are murder on my back, yet I can drive my TDi for hours without issue. Oh, and for such a small engine, they don't get very good gas mileage. But again, I'm jaded from driving a TDi.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/28/11 10:25 p.m.

Wait a minute- I've also had my eye on TDI's, but they are pretty much opposite from a performance standpoint. You PREFER driving the TDI?

No dealer around. That's one reason I've delayed. But I'm good with electric, and I've got an independent mechanic who is a whiz with his computer and diagnostic tools.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/28/11 10:34 p.m.

Actually, a modded ALH TDi (99.5-03) will blow a MCS into the weeds. Part of what made my g/f quit autox was that she couldn't beat me in my stock wagon with her modded MCS.

If I do end up selling my E30, I'll probably prep the wagon for FSP.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/28/11 10:37 p.m.

Oh.. and said mechanic would need to have a current bmw diagnostic computer (aftetmarket versions available). Can't program the body or engine computer without it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DLYlmAV1yMCBBMCKJgQPoZe17czRnYX8UtEzf82laN2L2SyjX5fQtn45WH7rkk31