Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/28/19 7:26 p.m.

One wheel on the new to me car has some kind of coating on it. Looks like something someone used to knock the shine back a little on it. Like one layer of spray paint that was done without any prep besides cleaning the wheel. Underneath is still the smooth factory finish. 

I can scrape some parts off with my nail but others are stuck a little better. 

I want to soften it a little to aid in removal but I do not want to damage the factory finish underneath. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone know what this crap is? 

Im glad it's only on one wheel. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/19 7:31 p.m.

plastidip

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/28/19 7:32 p.m.

definitely looks like plasti dip.  When the layers are thin they can be a real pita to remove.  

Do you have a pressure washer?  That would be my first try.  

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/28/19 7:42 p.m.

I am 100% positive it's not plasti dip. I've been dipping cars, bikes wheel whatever for years. It's some kind of transparent spray paint. Flakes off like a thin layer of spray paint on unprepped chrome.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/19 7:55 p.m.

I have no idea, but I would like to congratulate you on being the first person I have ever seen with hairier hands than me.

I think this means I have to pass the Chewbacca Award to you.

That aside, will powerwashing remove it?  Or maybe the really nasty wheel cleaner chemicals?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/28/19 8:01 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I humbly accept your chewbacca award with great honor!

Wondering if oven cleaner will damaged the factory paint?

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/28/19 8:05 p.m.

Maybe one of those "fancy" wheel paints they have at the parts store. They have various types that are supposed to go over a base coat or whatever. Maybe they didn't follow the directions and so it flakes off.

Like this stuff...I dunno there's dozens of possibilities, but this screams "didn't read instructions, sprayed it on one wheel, hated it, gave up, sold car":

https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/specialty-paint/duplicolor-shadow-chrome-black-out-coating-kit-2-piece/60047_0_0

Or this stuff: https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/specialty-paint/type-s-reflective-peelable-spray-paint-11oz/825224_0_0

Or maybe BBQ and stove paint (lol): https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/specialty-paint/rust-oleum-hi-heat-bbq-and-stove-paint-12oz/631973_0_0

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
10/28/19 8:56 p.m.

I'd start with a can of brakekleen. 

It breaks down most uncatalyzed paints but won't harm the factory finish 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/28/19 9:39 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls (Trent) :

Green can or red can?

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
10/28/19 9:46 p.m.

Red!

pirate
pirate HalfDork
10/29/19 11:24 a.m.

Is it clear  coat that has broken down and now the surface is absorbing brake dust? 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/29/19 2:27 p.m.

In reply to pirate :

No its definitely some sort of shadow type coating. The factory surface underneath is immaculate.  The only reason is visible in the pictures is because I used my flash at night. During the day you have to look real close to even tell its there.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
10/29/19 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Do NOT use oven cleaner. I tried that on some brake dust last year and it took all of the finish off the wheel, way too harsh. One thing that did help get some of the dust off was a small piece of plastic (like a store rewards card) and just used the edge as a scraper, it took forever but worked without scratching the wheel. No oven cleaner!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/29/19 6:28 p.m.

In reply to imgon :

10-4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ISpZM8hXHEASt4OpLuBjhsUQ9e4Q5MMkydfWVPjMEGkc12YO2kQW0iLDwjV7rHk1