1 2 3 ... 7
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/18 2:19 p.m.

For years, Classic American Muscle (CAM) class has hogged the spotlight on the stage known as SCCA Solo. But is America the only country to make a true muscle car? From the corners of junkyards and craigslist ads arise a new pact of contenders - the Classic Axis Muscle. Japan, Germany, and Italy have long been known for their own brands of sporty Front-Engine, Rear Wheel Drive cars. A world at war. Three continents claiming superiority of domestic muscle cars. Which side will prove to be the best producer of classic muscle that can be yours for under $2,000?

CAM vs CAxM - Classic Allied Muscle vs Classic Axis Muscle

Rules: Mostly following the standard CAM rules here. Key points are Front Engine and RWD, "finished" interior, all body panels present, and unrestricted powertrain (yes, even from rivaling nations). 200TW tires. Obvious exception being the Axis team can use cars of German, Italian, or Japanese origins. All cars must of course follow $2,000 Challenge rules too. Minimum weight: 2,700 lbs (factory curb). Pickup trucks automatically count as muscle cars (both sides).

Scoring: The two sides will be scored as teams, adding up the final place of each team member, with lowest combined place being the winner. However many cars show up on your side is how many teammates are scored. Troop counts don't always win wars, right? Best-placing finisher of each side may also get a special award. Your team, Allies or Axis, will be determined by the VIN of your car, not what's under the hood. If you were out of ammo in Midway and found an Uzi on the ground, you'd probably use it.

Competing does not exclude you from other sub-classes. In fact, your car may count in scoring even if you don't participate!

Who's in and what are you bringing?

Updated: added minimum weight

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/18 2:26 p.m.

Regarding "Front engine, RWD", is that as the vehicle was originally delivered, or as it is configured to compete in the Challenge?

also regarding "Front engine, RWD", is "RWD with engine in front of trans and diff" close enough?  Or are we defining "Front engine" to mean "engine in front of driver" or perhaps some other definition?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/17/18 2:26 p.m.

I'm really hoping to have the Studebaker their representing the Allies. All American baby!

maschinenbau
10/17/18 2:33 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Regarding "Front engine, RWD", is that as the vehicle was originally delivered, or as it is configured to compete in the Challenge?

also regarding "Front engine, RWD", is "RWD with engine in front of trans and diff" close enough?  Or are we defining "Front engine" to mean "engine in front of driver" or perhaps some other definition?

How about it either was originally FE-RWD (may not be anymore), or has been made FE-RWD to compete. "Front engine" is a definition about as loose as Jeremy's definition of "wagon".

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/17/18 2:34 p.m.

Where do grey imports fall into this?  For instance would a Dodge Ram 50 be considered a Dodge because of the VIN or a Mitsubishi because it was manufactured in the Hiroshima plant?

Looking into options right now and just want to clarify before I buy another truck.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/17/18 2:36 p.m.

So are there any good 200 treadwear tires available for 14 inch wheels?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/17/18 2:40 p.m.

In reply to Ram50Ron :

I'm going to say that whichever Grill it has in it is which side you're pulling for. Or another way to look at it is what are the majority of Parts? Dodge or Mitsubishi? If it's a Dodge grill with a 360 Magnum in it you'd be on the Allied side. Mitsubishi with a turbo motor would be on the access side of the war

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/17/18 2:42 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Inmates seem to be in charge of the asylum. Unless you see the warden pop up, I think we're good. 

Ram50Ron
10/17/18 2:42 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I'm not a griptician but the google machine says the Azenis RT615K+ is available in a 195/60/r14

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/17/18 2:43 p.m.

Before I start researching 200 treadwear tires too much, will a 2000 Miata with a GM V6 swap be allowed to play in the cam class?

maschinenbau

I agree, go by brand for grey-market cars. 

Dusterbd, it would come down to weight for you. How do we feel about no weight minimum? CAM has lots of different minimums for CAM-C, CAM-S, etc. Or just set one minimum, say 3,000 lbs? Less? More?

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork

I haven't got the backstory on the rule development, but is the FR restriction set in stone? I got an RR that could otherwise fall into the Axis category, albeit not competitively.

maschinenbau
10/17/18 2:44 p.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas :

I'm making this up as I go

AngryCorvair
10/17/18 2:45 p.m.

We *likey* no minimum weight!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/17/18 2:45 p.m.

For purely selfish reasons, I vote no weight minimum. Especially since I expect this car to fall in XP for local classing when I'm done with a challenge

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/17/18 2:47 p.m.

I vote no minimum. 3000 pounds is heavy!

AngryCorvair
maschinenbau said:
AngryCorvair said:

How about it either was originally FE-RWD (may not be anymore), or has been made FE-RWD to compete. "Front engine" is a definition about as loose as Jeremy's definition of "wagon".

Ok so what I heard you say is "RWD with CG of engine somewhere in front of rear axle center."

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork

I am in the same boat as Duster.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/17/18 2:49 p.m.

You can count me a an Axis competitor in this class devil

maschinenbau
10/17/18 2:49 p.m.

How about RWD and "convince us" it's front engine.

No minimum puts Datsaniti in the ring. I'm game.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/17/18 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Doesn't look like it. There are some Hoosiers at 40 and Toyo Proxes at 100 in 215/60-14 and all of the rest are Goodrich TA's at 400.

maschinenbau
10/17/18 2:50 p.m.

I just realized this puts all 30 or so stock Miatas in the Axis powers. How do we feel about that?

Minimum 200 hp?

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
10/17/18 2:53 p.m.

I won't be there but I'll be following along. 

In regards to the weight requirement I'll share my input: Allies vs Axis is a WW2 thing. During WW2 the American government was looking to develop a vehicle for war use (what would eventually become the jeep CJ). Among their requirements was a weight maximum, 2000lbs. None of the proposed plans were able to meet the weight requirement. We still got the jeep. If this is war, or war-themed, I'd ignore the weight requirement.

Ram50Ron
10/17/18 2:53 p.m.

No minimum weight or the population density of lead ballasts at the $2019 Challenge might give Al Gore an aneurysm. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/18 2:59 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I just realized this puts all 30 or so stock Miatas in the Axis powers. How do we feel about that?

30 or so stock miatas against Calvin?

I'll take Calvin.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1LUthOY7mVGETKtvCggh7I88R2XJDVFIffWtRYkLJNixR8ysMR8l6gule0Jm0Kb1