1 2 3 4 ... 7
pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/17/18 3:02 p.m.

The intro was amazing. Well done!

I think drag runs should be done on 200tw tires for this class.  Drag slicks don't fit the class ethos.

We need to come up with a fair minimum weight.  If the American cars mirror the CAM rules but we allow V8 swapped miatas to run at 2000 lbs the advantage is to the imports.

Will there be a CAM class winner and a CAxM winner for the fastest in each class?

What about a swedish car?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/17/18 3:04 p.m.

I think we should try to mirror the SCCA CAM rules as closely as possible.  Otherwise we are looking at regular challenge cars with 200tw tires.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/17/18 3:06 p.m.

Miata exclusion rule. Make minimum wheelbase 96 in. That allows C4 Corvettes in but no answers. No modifications to wheelbase of original vehicle.

Per 2018 CAM S rule... minimum weight 2500 pounds without driver. Done

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/18 3:06 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

I think we should try to mirror the SCCA CAM rules as closely as possible.  Otherwise we are looking at regular challenge cars with 200tw tires.

Good points. Maybe a healthy minimum weight of say, 2700 lbs? That eliminates most super light stuff. This could easily just become "split normal Challenge cars into two groups and compare"

Swedish car would be on the side of whoever you most recently spotted $10 to for lunch.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/17/18 3:07 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

In reply to JohnInKansas :

I'm making this up as I go

Never a bad plan of attack. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/17/18 3:09 p.m.
maschinenbau said:
pimpm3 said:

Good points. Maybe a healthy minimum weight of say, 2700 lbs? That eliminates most super light stuff. This could easily just become "split normal Challenge cars into two groups and compare"

A 2700lb minimum weight would negate alot of the advantage of running a miata.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/18 3:11 p.m.

I can build a 2700 hp Miata with 500 hp. Maybe not for $2019 (I'm not like you guys) but 2700 isn't high enough to really cut out the Miatas devil

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/18 3:14 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

How about RWD and "convince us" it's front engine.

No minimum puts Datsaniti in the ring. I'm game.

Perfect!

if I can get it in the budget, I'll bring 200TWs for WW2K and purple crack for the overall.

AngryCorvair
10/17/18 3:16 p.m.
Robbie said:
maschinenbau said:

I just realized this puts all 30 or so stock Miatas in the Axis powers. How do we feel about that?

30 or so stock miatas against Calvin?

I'll take Calvin in the drags

David S. Wallens

5.3L BMW?

maschinenbau
Keith Tanner said:

I can build a 2700 hp Miata with 500 hp. Maybe not for $2019 (I'm not like you guys) but 2700 isn't high enough to really cut out the Miatas devil

Once a Miata has a V8 and weighs over 2700 lbs, I'd argue you've crossed convincingly deep into muscle car territory.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
Keith Tanner said:

Not if you do a 96 inch minimum wheelbase rule

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/17/18 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Ovid and Flem has a good point.  Do we want a miata vs not miata class or are we looking for something a little different here.  A 96 inch wheelbase rule would be a way to prevent that.

Would it eliminate any other cars inadvertently?

AngryCorvair
10/17/18 3:21 p.m.

Just so you know, if there's a minimum weight I'm gonna weigh my car and make a big foam block labeled "BALLAST ____ LBS" with the blank filled in with the delta between my weight slip and the required minimum weight.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/17/18 3:22 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

It would be legal if they choose to give up the purple crack and the drag slicks.

AngryCorvair
10/17/18 3:22 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

5.3L BMW?

Not sure who that's addressed to, so I'm not gonna answer... 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/17/18 3:24 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Not really. Even dusterbvd AMC WOULD BE LEGAL AS IT HAS 96 " wb

It would eliminate pintos with 94 inch wheelbase, two-door Chevette 95 inch wheelbase, but wouldn't eliminate Chevrolet Monza with 97 in wheelbase

David S. Wallens
10/17/18 3:24 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
David S. Wallens said:

5.3L BMW?

Not sure who that's addressed to, so I'm not gonna answer.  

Just thinking that could be a possible contender. 

Keith Tanner
10/17/18 3:28 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

Ovid and Flem has a good point.  Do we want a miata vs not miata class or are we looking for something a little different here.  A 96 inch wheelbase rule would be a way to prevent that.

If you're going to write a rule to specifically eliminate Miatas, stop pretending and just outlaw Miatas.

maschinenbau
10/17/18 3:29 p.m.

Honestly, a true "CAM vs Miatas" would make an interesting comparison of final Challenge scores. 

But this is Muscle car, so I think there should be a minimum weight. 2700, or even 3000, knocks out a bunch of cars that are arguably not muscle cars. This should be Camero and Foxbody vs SC400 and big Bimmer, not Camero vs Miata.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/17/18 3:31 p.m.

Just a tip. Maserati biturbo has 99 inch wheelbase. H m m m m m

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/17/18 3:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
pimpm3 said:

If you're going to write a rule to specifically eliminate Miatas, stop pretending and just outlaw Miatas.

Good point.  It's not my decision, I was just pointing out that if we don't want this to turn into a miata dominated class we may want to make it a hard choice given an unfriendly weight or eliminate them altogether.  I am bringing a CAM legal s10 regardless of the consensus we reach on this class.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
pimpm3 said:

I think drag runs should be done on 200tw tires for this class.  Drag slicks don't fit the class ethos.

Uh oh. I may have just been eliminated.

Keith Tanner

As for front engine - I would define front engine as a car that has the CG of the engine in front of the CG of the driver. Saying it just has to be in front of the rear wheels means there is no distinction between front and mid engined. This also opens up many interesting, hilarious and probably unsafe configurations.

BarryNorman
BarryNorman New Reader

NC Miata (FM's Elvis) 105" if the internet is correct.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SaMvt7zE9mTztx76jNriVPYJGs2nfwrNJQPaOrvClBx6tmBqMFsLVvjuEwPeV407