1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/17/18 5:02 p.m.

I was planning on bringing 200 tw tires and drag slicks in a v8 powered Asian car. Still trying to find an alternative drag tire for 200+tw. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/18 5:26 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

I was planning on bringing 200 tw tires and drag slicks in a v8 powered Asian car. Still trying to find an alternative drag tire for 200+tw. 

https://m.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/nt05-max-performance-tire/

Maybe?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/17/18 5:38 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:

How about instead of total Allies points vs total Axis points, we do Average vs average.

This is the only fair way to run it. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/17/18 5:44 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

That is just their 200 tw extreme performance tire. The NT05R is the drag radial but a 00 tw.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/17/18 6:03 p.m.

That's the rub, if you want to play in CAM you need to follow the rules.  My s10 is going to be at a bigger disadvantage in the drags on 200tw tires than your rx7 on 200tw tires.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/17/18 6:04 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yeah, that probably knocks me out. 

It sounds amusing, but with a team full of high schoolers, I’m gonna have a hard time explaining a “not fair fight”.

We’ll stick to the standard competition, plus perhaps a side bet with Spin_out. wink

As I stated earlier, I’d be in for the AVA, but not for a CAM. 

Easy answer is bring a mustang or Camaro 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/17/18 6:13 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Nope.  I've got a muscle car.  That's not a game I want to play again with high schoolers.

Mustang or Camaro is the fast path to the kids loosing interest and me finding myself working in the garage alone.  They will get lost in high priced speed parts online, and loose their focus and creativity.  They will get frustrated with me trying to talk them into cheap ways to accomplish things that are readily available at a higher price.

It's easier with something that has cheaper parts on Ebay, which pushes more creativity.

My $0.02

signed, 

a dad with 31 years experience, and 14 years experience bringing kids to the Challenge.

MGguy87
MGguy87 New Reader
10/17/18 6:38 p.m.

What about British and going full allied here?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/18 6:43 p.m.
Stampie said:
TheV8Kid said:

How about instead of total Allies points vs total Axis points, we do Average vs average.

That's not how warfare works, though...

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/17/18 7:14 p.m.
buzzboy said:

If I can get my Sonderklasse running and ready I think it would be a great detriment to the Axis team. A heavy 4 door sedan can be a muscle car right? I'm sitting at 3250lbs right now and a full 113" wheelbase which puts me in solid muscle car range. Just need to double, triple or quadruple my whp.

Must be a w116 lol

Robbie
10/17/18 7:16 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Stampie said:
TheV8Kid said:

That's not how warfare works, though...

Sure it does if you happen to be British. 

yupididit
10/17/18 7:17 p.m.
MGguy87 said:

Jags!

Robbie
10/17/18 7:25 p.m.
yupididit said:
MGguy87 said:

Jags!

Oh. Oh. Don't say that! Though the xjr is my wife's car and I'd rather not break it 1000 miles from home, I think it just moved into #1 challenge backup position...

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/18 7:31 a.m.

I think there are plenty of cheap Axis muscle cars to choose from, since you have at least three countries. Big BMW's, Japanese luxu-cruisers (Q45? Lexus SC/LS?), 80's Z-cars, compact pickups, Maserati Bi-turbo...etc. Allies could also get creative by including French and English cars. 

Ruling:

• Minimum weight 2,700 lbs. If you don't know, go by factory curb weight.
  • Must be a "muscle car". We all know what that means. Front engine, RWD (or AWD). Pickups are okay.
  • I still like sum of finishing place scoring. If your teammate is having mechanical issues, it's in your interest to help them do better than a DNF. 

Sound fair to everyone? Let's do this!

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
10/18/18 7:31 a.m.

So I love this idea, here is what I would bring if i could make the $$, travel and my skills work. 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/ottawa/1980-dodge-mirada-cordoba/1391453204?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Allied powers for the win.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/18/18 7:46 a.m.

In reply to Mike924 :

Please do that. It's amazing. surprise

Robbie
10/18/18 8:34 a.m.

for the 'good guys' who aren't from 'merica:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/d/rare-triumph-tr8/6705506741.html

I'm skeptical of '350HP', but there are adjustable camber plates...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/18/18 8:37 a.m.

I want to bring a Polski 126p but I'm afraid of what will happen to it in this class...

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/18/18 8:42 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

I think there are plenty of cheap Axis muscle cars to choose from, since you have at least three countries. Big BMW's, Japanese luxu-cruisers (Q45? Lexus SC/LS?), 80's Z-cars, compact pickups, Maserati Bi-turbo...etc. Allies could also get creative by including French and English cars. 

Ruling:

• Minimum weight 2,700 lbs. If you don't know, go by factory curb weight.
  • Must be a "muscle car". We all know what that means. Front engine, RWD (or AWD). Pickups are okay.
  • I still like sum of finishing place scoring. If your teammate is having mechanical issues, it's in your interest to help them do better than a DNF. 

Sound fair to everyone? Let's do this!

I think the axis cars should follow a similar standard as the CAM cars ie: 200TW tires, non gutted etc...

Robbie
10/18/18 8:52 a.m.

90s BMW 7 series (v8s and v12s - about 300 HP either way) are a dime a dozen. there's like 10 on chicago CL now for less than 2k ask.

Same with big Lexus (lexi?).

The axis really have the sweet spot of depreciation going for them.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
10/18/18 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Mike924 :

Even at the current exchange rate that might be difficult to keep under budget with the lack of engine.

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/18/18 9:03 a.m.

Set the rules I'll follow them. I have a few ideas of what I'll be bringing.

Side note: Anyone have a good Budget Spreadsheet they'd be willing to share with a challenge newb like myself?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/18/18 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Ram50Ron :

If I'm not mistaken there is a download in the registration information page that contains a spreadsheet

yupididit
10/18/18 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Seen a couple CLK430's go for the low as well.

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/18/18 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Good looks, thank you  yes

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
My9gTFxdxPQLcaEhTpZdr4aJzWpTnkR63yOyz4j7bwtjg6fmXmnFOpLPNYR3Fzjd