1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/18/18 12:19 p.m.

You guys undoubtedly are going for the overall win.  I fully expect drag slicks and Hoosiers for whatever vehicle you guys have brewing.laugh

If you want to build a CAM legal vehicle to compete in the special class it needs to run on 200TW tires.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/18 12:29 p.m.

I think for the drag, you should run on any tire you want. People who take their CAM-prepped cars to the strip for local test-and-tune don't make runs on their autocross tires. This whole thing is meant to compare Challenge-priced CAM cars to real CAM. Drag on whatever you want.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/18/18 12:46 p.m.

I'm with the tire rule for drags, otherwise you're limiting the subclass to just one half of dynamic. If you're going to commit then commit fully. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/18/18 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Not sure I understood...

Are you saying commit fully to the event by bringing drag tires, or commit fully to the class by not bringing drag tires?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/18/18 1:21 p.m.

I think he meant do everything on 200tw tires.

maschinenbau
10/18/18 1:31 p.m.

But for the magazine, it's not really useful to see what CAM cars can do at the strip on 200 TW tires. No one outside of the Challenge is dragging on autocross tires.

The question we're answering here is "What kind of CAM car can you build for $2,000? Can it also do other stuff like drag race and look awesome? And how do they stack up compared to foreign equivalents?"

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/18/18 1:43 p.m.

I realized I was all confused about combining scca cam rules and the good guys autocross rules and drag racing rules. Basically I was crossing the two sanctioning bodies in trying to make something stick.

Finally I untwisted my mind and came to this realization. The cam rules were talking about arise from the scca which basically only has autocrossing as a competition venue. The Goodguys sanctioning body has rules for both autocross and drag racing. Scca and Goodguys have similar rules limiting autocross events to 200 treadwear tires. Scca does not have any drag racing rules. Goodguys does not require the drag racers to run on 200 treadwear Tires on drags.

Therefore I think it only logical to allow cam cars competing in the challenge to run whatever drag Tire they want and limit them to 200 treadwear  in the autocross only. Capiche?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/18/18 1:45 p.m.

For CAM My vote is autocross 200tw, drag anything goes. The top end of the competition won’t throw on 200 tw and an interior. 

For GPOD all 300tw it’s supposed to be cheap and no advantage. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/18/18 1:49 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

That’s true, except the majority of cars at the event have run non drag tires every year since it’s inception. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/18/18 1:52 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

For CAM My vote is autocross 200tw, drag anything goes. The top end of the competition won’t throw on 200 tw and an interior. 

For GPOD all 300tw it’s supposed to be cheap and no advantage. 

I think this is winner winner winner chicken dinner statement of tire rules for Cam and gastropods

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/18/18 1:57 p.m.

I’m also all for letting cars that have the ability to run under a 13 get two runs in before anyone else. Time limited, basically bring it ready to go. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/18/18 2:01 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

At least you understand me.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/18 2:10 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

But for the magazine, it's not really useful to see what CAM cars can do at the strip on 200 TW tires. No one outside of the Challenge is dragging on autocross tires.

OneLap does 

maschinenbau
10/18/18 2:11 p.m.

Settled. It's CAM cars that can run drag tires in the drag race if they choose. Now let's see some muscle hoopties!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/18/18 2:13 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Maybe we should have a new thread for your proposal on letting the fast cars run first. I do like sitting on the sidelines to watch fast cars go fast. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/18/18 2:27 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I disagree, but it's not my decision it's up to the folks that are running in the class.

It would be in my interest to bring the drag slicks in my garage for the s10, but I feel that isn't the intent of class.  If you want to run slicks that's fine I just don't feel that this class is the place for it.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/18/18 2:33 p.m.
sleepyhead said:
maschinenbau said:

OneLap does 

One Lappers are weirdos and we have one especially weird dude making the rules. Pretty sure we're not a good example of anything to anyone. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/18 2:37 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
sleepyhead said:

OneLap does [run drags on 200TW tires]

One Lappers are weirdos and we have one especially weird dude making the rules. Pretty sure we're not a good example of anything to anyone. 

Guilty as charged.  Everyone else go back about your CAM class discussion.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
10/18/18 2:38 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk :

It is in Canadian Dollars, what is that in USD????  1500 right??  LOL  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/18/18 3:03 p.m.
Stampie said:
pimpm3 said:

At least you understand me.

Would you two like a little privacy?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/18 3:20 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/18/18 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

The Crown Coupe surprise

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/18/18 3:59 p.m.

Unless the world gets weirder than it already is tody I'm not going to have a dog in this hunt, but I'd LOVE to see the CAM cars make proper drag passes on proper drag tires. Build them big and hairy and let it fly. 

Edit: Maybe DOT drag radials? To keep it streety. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/18/18 5:05 p.m.

Dang it!

How come when I don’t want to play, stuff falls in my lap?

A 1968 T-Bird with a 429 Cobra Jet just came on my radar in my home town for $1800.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/18 5:37 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Will they trade for a beat up 05 Honda Odyssey with 221,000 miles? (Well, 222k by the time I get down there.)

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S1HXbduyB8jImcj4aFYkbxO6d6j671J4fWOX3C23t4o29zuMyTU5vB0F5PLRwncw