1 ... 4 5 6 7
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/18/18 5:50 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Just so you know, if there's a minimum weight I'm gonna weigh my car and make a big foam block labeled "BALLAST ____ LBS" with the blank filled in with the delta between my weight slip and the required minimum weight.

That's only allowed if its shaped like an old timey cartoon dumbbell 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/18/18 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

After looking at all the cars on your post...

lalala I’m not going to buy an old car.

I already have my project picked out. Can this class keep going after this year. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/18/18 6:54 p.m.

I think a car built to CAM specs should run on 200TW tires for all events.  The rules for scca CAM say the car should be something that could be registered and tagged.  When I think street car I don't think of Mickey Thompson drag slicks.

I guess the point I am trying to make is if you want to run in the CAM class follow the CAM rules, that's kind of the point.  If you want to run drag slicks that's totally fine, just do it in the regular challenge class and compete for the overall win.

I will go with the consensus we reach either way.  Heck I already have the Mickey Thompsons for the S10. 

I feel if we go with slicks this is going to turn into "regular challenge cars with out Hoosiers in the autocross" not CAM as originally intended.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/18/18 6:55 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

I second

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/18/18 7:03 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

I'm cool with that. That means my car will not be legal for this class, but I am cool with it.

I will say when I think of street legal drag car, I think of drag week. Most of those guys run drag radials, or change tires at the track and run slicks. A 275 drag radials is a very common size. Drag radials are DOT tires..

Whatever you guys decide, I am cool with.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/18/18 7:15 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

I would like to politely disagree and suggest DOT drag radials. They are the drag equivalent of 200tw tires. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/18/18 7:38 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:

In reply to pimpm3 :

I'm cool with that. That means my car will not be legal for this class, but I am cool with it.

I will say when I think of street legal drag car, I think of drag week. Most of those guys run drag radials, or change tires at the track and run slicks. A 275 drag radials is a very common size. Drag radials are DOT tires..

Another option since we turn in our own drag time slips would be to run a few drag runs on the 200tw tires and some on slicks.  If you want to stay in the CAM class turn in the 200tw one if you want to use the faster drag slick time turn that one in. 

It would let competitors choose their path once they have all the data.  It would also make for interesting reading seeing the difference the tires make on an identical car on the same track / conditions.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/18/18 7:42 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to pimpm3 :

I would like to politely disagree and suggest DOT drag radials. They are the drag equivalent of 200tw tires. 

No problem this is a discussion to figure out how likely competitors would like to see the class run.  I am cool with whatever consensus we reach. 

I was just trying to differentiate the class from the traditional challenge cars in a way that makes for good editorial and would be east to explain in an elevator.  Cars built to SCCA CAM specs on 200TW tires is easy...

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/18/18 8:03 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

As I understand it cam was created by scca to try to attract Goodguys members. The scca rules parallel the Goodguys autocross rules. Scca obviously doesn't have drag racing venues. However, the good guys sanctioning body allows drag radials. Goodguys mandates 200 treadwear tires for their autocross events. It would seem logical to me to require 200 treadwear on autocross and allow drag radials on the strip. And just make Camp participants include tires in their budget after backing out four freebies

But I won't be building a cam car so my vote doesn't count. I'm just the voice of reasoncheeky

Elevator explanation. You run autocross on 200 treadwear tires. You are allowed to run drag slicks on the drag strip though. Done.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/18/18 8:33 p.m.
pimpm3 said:
TheV8Kid said:

In reply to pimpm3 :

Another option since we turn in our own drag time slips would be to run a few drag runs on the 200tw tires and some on slicks.  If you want to stay in the CAM class turn in the 200tw one if you want to use the faster drag slick time turn that one in. 

It would let competitors choose their path once they have all the data.  It would also make for interesting reading seeing the difference the tires make on an identical car on the same track / conditions.

I would prefer to not buy 200tw drag radials that I will likely never use again. I plan to run slicks regardless of what you guys decide. The track prep in Gainesville is way too unpredictable to not run slicks for the speeds I hope my car will be going. Drag radials require better prep on the track than slicks do depending on how fast the car is.

Like I said, whatever you guys decide, I'm good with. If I can participate, I will. If not, cool too.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/18 10:46 p.m.
Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/18/18 11:05 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Robbie :

The Crown Coupe surprise

That’s what I was thinking.  Man that thing looks cool.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/19/18 2:17 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I want to bring a Polski 126p but I'm afraid of what will happen to it in this class...

thank you for positing this

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/18 7:20 a.m.
dean1484
10/19/18 7:27 a.m.
dean1484
10/19/18 7:31 a.m.

Did you say v12 jag?  

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/1984-jaguar-xjs-he-v12-coupe/6710823143.html

EDIT:  Could this really be as easy as just ditching the OE engin management put a MSII on it and go?   

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/19/18 7:33 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Oh my

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/bmw-633-csi/6704566228.html

It's got the blue leather interior! I love the 80's so much. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/19/18 8:07 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Did you say v12 jag?  

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/1984-jaguar-xjs-he-v12-coupe/6710823143.html

EDIT:  Could this really be as easy as just ditching the OE engin management put a MSII on it and go?   

dean1484
10/19/18 6:03 p.m.
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/24/18 4:43 p.m.

We did decide that no miatas for the axis power, right?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/18 5:52 p.m.

Weight minimum 2700 lbs. If a Miata has that much engine, it's a muscle car. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/24/18 7:12 p.m.

I still vote for minimum wheelbase of 96 in to keep Chevettes, TR7, pintos, Fiat 124 Etc out of the mix.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/24/18 7:27 p.m.

I don't want to limit creativity and prevent some weird creations.  I think a 2700 lb minimum weight nicely fixes that.  Even for dare we say miatas...

How do the others that are bringing CAM cars feel?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/24/18 8:10 p.m.

Should the minimum weight be higher?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/24/18 8:31 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

No. Someone would have to be crazy to make a 2700 lbs Miata. 

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dq0zZW0Sl8TcwXNeGY0vlyPLagBdoel8O0Rl1x8p0DqnDvNRy4TFdfOuBsENUvg3