Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
10/21/16 9:05 p.m.

A co-worker of mine has a bug eye WRX with a 3inch catless turbo back exhaust, boost turned up to 15 psi and some stance bro springs to throw it on the ground. Car has 275k and the fresh motor has 45k on it. He wants to trade straight up for my miata. Now I really want a turbo car, I just don't know if I want THAT turbo car..... also his wrx is a automatic. So how bad is a automatic Subaru?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/21/16 9:07 p.m.

No.
Just no.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/21/16 9:13 p.m.

I wouldn't. Unless the Miata was a $500 Miata, then I might.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/21/16 9:18 p.m.

Why not just turbo the Miata?

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/21/16 9:25 p.m.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/21/16 9:28 p.m.

...So a co-worker of mine wants to swap wives with me. My wife is nice and fun to be around, though not a super model, she's smart, responsive, and great fun to ride. His wife is pretty ugly, has a terrible attitude, isn't clean, not too smart, kind of trampy, has slept with every guy in the neighborhood, was treated last year for a couple of venereal diseases, dresses like a plumber, and is not much fun to be around. Now, I really want a tall woman, but maybe not THAT tall woman. WWGRM do? How bad can it be??

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/16 9:30 p.m.

I had a 2004 WRX with a stick. My nephew had a 2005 with the automatic. The automatic was better than I expected, but I still liked the stick better.

The WRX was more fun than any of my Miatas, but I can't imagine one with that many miles not being a rusted out pig / money pit, even if it lived it's life in the desert.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
10/21/16 9:44 p.m.

@Dr.Hess, Actually my car was less . SVrex, that honestly had me laughing my ass off. Seems the hive has spoken,Time to start saving for a turbo kit

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/21/16 9:48 p.m.

Go pay someone a thousand dollars to punch you in the dick. Cheaper and less painful than that wrx.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
10/21/16 10:45 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Go pay someone a thousand dollars to punch you in the dick. Cheaper and less painful than that wrx.

I'd do it for $800, 'cause I love my fellow GRMers.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
10/21/16 11:25 p.m.

NO x100000

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
10/22/16 12:55 a.m.

In reply to SVreX: I reread this 6 times trying to find the flaw, something to correct....and I just can't. Perfectly said sir!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
10/22/16 1:30 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: In reply to SVreX: I reread this 6 times trying to find the flaw, something to correct....and I just can't. Perfectly said sir!

Anybody shows that post to his wife, there will be a big "flaw" to correct in the middle of SV's face.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/22/16 7:54 a.m.
Jerry From LA wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: In reply to SVreX: I reread this 6 times trying to find the flaw, something to correct....and I just can't. Perfectly said sir!
Anybody shows that post to his wife, there will be a big "flaw" to correct in the middle of SV's face.

What face? She'll rip it off! She's as New Yorker!!

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
10/22/16 8:11 a.m.

The WRX might be a good trade.

Depends on how big a stack of hundreds in the glove box.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/16 8:51 a.m.
Blitzed306 wrote: A co-worker of mine has a bug eye WRX with a 3inch catless turbo back exhaust, boost turned up to 15 psi and some stance bro springs to throw it on the ground. Car has 275k and the fresh motor has 45k on it. He wants to trade straight up for my miata. Now I really want a turbo car, I just don't know if I want THAT turbo car..... also his wrx is a automatic. So how bad is a automatic Subaru?

Put a stock replacement suspension on it and a good torque converter and go have some fun. Automatic WRXs are a good time.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GPkfQDR4-oQ

https://www.youtube.com/embed/RLS1jLX5-dw

Oh, and a steering quickener. Need one of those too.

The automatic trans is a lot stronger and better geared than the frag-o-matic 5 speed, which was a fine trans for the pushrod 1300cc cars from the 70s but not so much for a car weighing nearly twice as much with three to four times the horsepower. Plus. the automatic in the GDs has a really technically interesting center diff, it's a cam-and-pawl diff that gives a slight rear drive bias, versus the VLSD bevel diff of the 5-speeds.

D2W
D2W Reader
10/22/16 9:52 a.m.

Wife Trade and Dick Punch analogies. Both were perfect. Only on GRM

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
10/22/16 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

I was thinking along the same lines. De-stance it and have fun.

Or leave it as is and purchase hew headgear...

NickD
NickD Dork
10/22/16 12:00 p.m.

I like Subarus and even this sounds like a "No Deal" situation to me. High mileage, automatic, stanced out. Yeaaaaah, no.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
10/23/16 9:49 a.m.

I turned him down, only after driving the car. The coil overs had the most jarring ride I've ever experienced. The auto shifted crisply for a old fashioned 4 speed. The back seat seemed much smaller than my DD focus.... the Miata remains in the fleet. This thread has been helpful and very entertaining

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mgkZlpQNOeHyY1fEhJbsv9o8ap9AhVR8yPlUG05YJBAparEsLdEXjUGtyvJcC1tn