1 2
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/14 2:44 p.m.

ZOMBIE THREAD CREATED AND BUMPED BY ME - scroll down for photos of actual truck in question. 

Maybe a long shot, but does anyone know much about these guys? My FIL has one that has been sitting on his property for at least thirty years and has likely been owned by his family since the end of WWII. I believe that it is a WC51 or maybe a WC57. Don't really know how to tell or if it even matters. I would like some ideas of how to figure its approximate value (hard, I know), and also what I might need to search for when looking for parts to get it running again. Background on the truck: 1. At some point, the truck was rolled, and a 50's chevy cab was sloppily grafted on instead. "Lester, you spilled the beans!" 2. I do not believe the bed is original either. Looks to have been modified from a people carrier to a stuff carrier. 3. It was running when parked but the brakes had just gone. As the story goes my fil and gfil were up in the Montana mountains when they discovered they had no brakes. They eased into a sandy berm to stop. To get home, they simply chained a huge tree to the back of the truck and drug it down the mountain. Need to stop? Lift off the gas. The truck has been parked at the cabin ever since. 4. Seats (and most of the interior) are trash. This is what you get with broken windows and letting a car sit for 30+ years. Unfortunately I live in Chicago and the truck lives in West Montana, so I can only work on it on vacations. I did grab some pics of the number plates I could find, but sadly forgot a pic of the whole truck. It's incredibly rust-free on the major components given the stories I hear about it, but Montana is also incredibly dry. I think with new fluids, ignition, and carb cleaning it will run again easily (flathead 6, 230 ci I think). Didn't get a chance to dig into the brakes too much, but they can't be that complicated. Does anyone have insight to how to ID this truck, get a service manual, get parts or get an idea of value? Value is probably the least of my concerns but I guess I am still interested to know. The VIN tag (is it even a vin tag?) reads 4290-44301. Doesn't seem to compute in online dodge VIN decoders. Hopefully next summer I will have a build thread!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/24/14 2:51 p.m.

If it runs, it's worth something, but given the rolled, chevy cab, etc., I'm going with couple hundred "scrap value..." unless you find someone that needs some parts from the running gear.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/24/14 3:07 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Thanks, that confirms what I was thinking. Didn't know if these things had some super-sought after parts or something. Its not like they were rare back in the day though.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/24/14 3:48 p.m.

I'm guessing here myself. But those things mentioned generally kill about anything from that or other eras. Even a good running vehicle from then isn't worth all that much. Look through ebay auctions for completed sales of comparable vehicles, then subtract out for no body (at all.) The 47 Plymouth Business Coupe I had went for nothing, complete and running.

On the plus side, it must weigh 5-6000 lbs, and scrap prices have been up.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
7/24/14 6:06 p.m.

There is money in the tailgate, the hinges on the hood and possibly the title, same with the bed and grills if they were original.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
7/24/14 8:50 p.m.

It might have some value to the rat rod crowd as well. I for one happen to like those old trucks, but don't really happen to be in a position to take on another project.

plance1
plance1 Dork
7/24/14 10:05 p.m.

ah, yeah, try posting a picture of the actual truck, not just the tag

airwerks
airwerks Reader
7/25/14 1:25 a.m.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Eh, here it is anyway. 41, first year. My latest in a string of questionable automotive decisions.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/25/14 5:23 a.m.

If it's a Dodge, parts should be fairly valuable for a genuine WWII model. Maybe hook up with someone in this club: Military Vehicle Preservation Association You could possibly make someone really happy by just selling it on.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/25/14 5:51 a.m.

That's called the Flat Fender Dodge. I had a 1952 and it had the same flat head six you'll find in there. It's bullet proof, idiot proof and just keeps on chugging. As a driver, I believe the highest gear available was 4.78 : 1 that means the engine turns over almost five times per each tire revolution. Yes, you can to a two story house around the block but get used to driving in the right lane.

There's one roaming around here but the engine and rear end are late model, it can actually do 60 mph.

If you need help around the farm, this is the ticket!

I can't help you decide what to do, my history says I'm not above bastardizing any poor vehicle.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
7/12/21 1:32 p.m.

We'll, let's bump this seeing as I saw the truck again (7 years, hasn't changed), and took a few photos.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
7/12/21 1:36 p.m.

I also think I confirmed this is a WC51. The wheelbase is an incredibly short 98 inches for the truck's 7 ft width. Apparently since these were 3/4 ton and the willys jeep was 1/4 ton, but these were basically the same thing but bigger, these were referred to as "Beeps" for big jeep. 

If you noticed the right rear tire was somehow still holding air after 40 years of being parked outside in the Montana mountains (and no idea how old the tires were before it was parked), I thought that was pretty amazing.

Still thinking I'll try to bring some parts and see if I can get it to start the next time I see it. That should be next summer. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
7/12/21 1:38 p.m.

And the chevy next to it happens to be a v8 auto, but that's about all I know. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/12/21 1:58 p.m.

It's got character! 

Just let the hive know where it is next summer. At least a couple dorks would show up.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/12/21 2:09 p.m.

I'm generally not a fan of Dodges, but the front end on those has always just looked right to me.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/21 3:42 p.m.

That looks way better than I expected it to, based on your original description. I've always loved WWII Dodge trucks. 

This is exactly  like the kind of thing that Fred and Dave would rescue on Dirt Every Day. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
7/13/21 12:24 p.m.

I really like the way the truck looks too. I'd love to revive it at least enough to putter around. Ensuring that the engine can run is the first step. 

A few notes, mostly for myself, for later. 

• 6V electrical system
  • tires should use tubes - I wonder if I can replace the tubes only? 
  • Vintage power wagons dot com seems to be a good place to source parts
  • 4 speed non-synchro trans and 1 speed transfer case. 5.something:1 axle ratio. Speedy. 
  • There's a hole in the bumper (and radiator) specifically so you can stick a tool in to turn the crank from the front. Wonder if I can find that tool...
psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/21 3:22 p.m.

My best friend has an M37 (successor to the WC5X) that he has had for 20+ years.  It is simple and stupidly rugged.  It is governed to a top speed of 41-42 mph. 

The basic design of the M37 was what translated to the civilian power wagon that was built forever.  Parts are still out there.  I know they can be regeared to run closer to a highway speed, but given the design of the suspension/brakes/steering, I'm not sure I'd want to go all that much faster in one.  They're great for yanking stumps and messing around offroad, though.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/8/22 12:43 p.m.

Well, we're prepping for another trip in about a month. I don't want to go too crazy buying parts if it will be useless, but here's my current plan:

1. Get (or bring) some MMO and see if I can find the tool that turns the crank through the bumper. If crank doesn't turn, then basically this all ends early. 
  2. If crank does turn, see if I can get a 6v battery and turn the engine over on the starter. Check for spark. 
  3. If I can run the starter, then I think it makes sense to look into things like spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, carb rebuild kit. But that would be next summer. 
  4. Take a good look at what distributor and carb and such is on the thing because apparently there are a few different options and it will matter for part selection. Take good notes. 

Is this a good plan? What am I missing?

scooterfrog
scooterfrog Reader
6/8/22 3:36 p.m.

a 12 volt batter will spin the starter right?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/8/22 3:55 p.m.
scooterfrog said:

a 12 volt batter will spin the starter right?

I would assume so - but I'm a little nervous of doubling the designed current through what is possibly 80 year old wiring? I guess I can run my own. I also guess that this would not use an integrated starter solenoid, it would be separate?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/8/22 3:56 p.m.

12V would spin the 6V starter.  I would not put electrical power on this thing as it sits until you can do a thorough inspecting of the electrical system as it seems like an electrical fire waiting to happen.

I wouldn't try spinning that motor over as the vehicle sits unless you're getting paid by a TV show to try and do something like a "junkyard rescue" because I think you'd hurt the motor for no positive outcome.  If you really want this thing, get it trailer'd home, and work on it as a real project.  That's my suggestion.  I know it's not my situation so treat it as such.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/8/22 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Seems like a good plan. If I was being aggressive I'd ask FIL to send some pictures and bring the spares with me. 50/50 says the engine spins; might as well be ready for the next step if it does.

OTOH it looks like it's been sitting for a couple decades. Whats another year?

Have you named it yet?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/8/22 5:15 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

12V would spin the 6V starter.  I would not put electrical power on this thing as it sits until you can do a thorough inspecting of the electrical system as it seems like an electrical fire waiting to happen.

I wouldn't try spinning that motor over as the vehicle sits unless you're getting paid by a TV show to try and do something like a "junkyard rescue" because I think you'd hurt the motor for no positive outcome.  If you really want this thing, get it trailer'd home, and work on it as a real project.  That's my suggestion.  I know it's not my situation so treat it as such.

yeah I definitely want to inspect the electrical system carefully before (and while) hooking up a new battery.

How do you think I could hurt the motor by spinning it over? I'd be using a wrench first, and if free, then I would do 10-15 rotations by hand. If all still good, then I might try the starter. I can also do stuff like check to make sure there's oil in the crankcase and no water, for example. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/8/22 5:16 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

If we're on the good side of 50/50 and the engine spins, I'll get the kids working on a good name!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
354vLfBlXk1N8qcnVwje7Y4pBY9kJ4Hm2I33QJT2nQr9o8Q44jk3rl5DTSD9wyFy