LordTurbonia New Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 11:43 a.m.

Hey guys.

Not whole lot of progress on the XR this weekend, but I did go to Northern Tool and buy an engine stand. I also got a compression tester on sale at Sears.

Here's the pics that I promised a week ago:

The badge:

This is how it came home:

This is it all tucked away in the shop:

And this is the tip of an iceburg of sins:

Nov. 15, 2010 11:52 a.m.

oh dear I hope they didnt molest to bad...

Raze Dork
Nov. 15, 2010 12:17 p.m.

You poor poor bastard...

mndsm Dork
Nov. 15, 2010 12:19 p.m.

That looks like fun to me. The bigger the train wreck, the better the payoff when the pig works.

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 12:25 p.m.

What am i looking at in the last picture?

LordTurbonia New Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 12:49 p.m.

You're looking at my fancy aftermarket trans cooler, which is convieniently twist-tied to the back side of my radiator.

Auto ADD Dork
Nov. 15, 2010 12:54 p.m.

I can understand why some people like these but I just can't get past the truck load of fugly.

Raze Dork
Nov. 15, 2010 12:57 p.m.
LordTurbonia wrote: You're looking at my fancy aftermarket trans cooler, which is convieniently twist-tied to the back side of my radiator.

bah, if you saw how many zip ties, safety wire and other fun 'fasteners' were on our XR4 you'd wonder if we built our car out of Home Depot parts

mad_machine SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 2:14 p.m.
LordTurbonia wrote: You're looking at my fancy aftermarket trans cooler, which is convieniently twist-tied to the back side of my radiator.

and that was something easy to get at.. imagine the hidden horrors

LordTurbonia New Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 2:15 p.m.

Raze, the difference is that you probabaly used non -traditional materials in a thoughtful manner that may actaully stand a snowball's chance in hell of passing tech at an event. This is just horrifying for the sake of horrifying, and it's not just skin deep. Coolant routing problems, coolant that looks like a hangover poo, the hand grenade C3 . . . the list goes on.

Frankly, I'm finding it harder and harder to tell my 4x4 inclined buddy (he's the shadowy figure in the shop pic) that a V8 swap is a bad idea. I found a set of Jim Deberry 5.0 HO mounts for less than I'm finding clean Holsets, and I'll admit that a certian XR8 article on MerkurTech has me intrigued as to the possibilities. I'll admit that a big, dumb, natually aspirated V8 is anathema to my nature (I have yet to own a V8 powered vehicle, my favorite engine is the 1.8T, and I signed up to comment with the name "LordTurbonia") but as a road beast with the occasional Street Modified auto-x to show up to, I can hardly argure with the low end torque, easy maintenance, and reduced need for in-car fire suppression that the 5.0 provides.

Opinions? I'm busting out the compression tester on the 2.3 turbo engine at some point soon, and I'm afraid of the numbers I'm going to see . . . If it was a question of a serviceable, well maintained 2.3, the "XR8" wouldn't even be on the table, but if I have to take anything to the machine shop at this point the $ and work involved is a toss up.

Raze Dork
Nov. 15, 2010 2:30 p.m.
LordTurbonia wrote: Opinions? I'm busting out the compression tester on the 2.3 turbo engine at some point soon, and I'm afraid of the numbers I'm going to see . . . If it was a question of a serviceable, well maintained 2.3, the "XR8" wouldn't even be on the table, but if I have to take anything to the machine shop at this point the $ and work involved is a toss up.

There's a fella on Merkur Car Club of America Forums rocking an LS, There are actually quite a few V8s running around, and quite frankly pretty badass. If you like tinkering a 2.3T is fun, if you don't like tinkering, ditch it, the car won't mind...

maddabe New Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 2:47 p.m.

You've made Jim Rome proud.

m4ff3w SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 3:32 p.m.

My XR had compression of 35 60 150 155 when I bought it.

Are you sure the coolant routing isn't stock? I can't imagine worse!

LordTurbonia New Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 3:57 p.m.

You know, now that I busted out the diagram again it looks pretty close to the stock routing, but it is most definitely not the stock parts and it looks like there was an additional hardline added at some point. I'll have to look at the lines in the car again to be sure, but there was a lot of "WTF" as I traced it, and one of the hard lines next to the head looked so rusted that I am amazed it held coolant. Chunks are flaking off of it.

bluesideup Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 4:18 p.m.

There are two identical XRs in my local pick a part. Someone else must have given up on the dream of turbo power. Both in pretty nice shape too.

m4ff3w SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 4:22 p.m.
LordTurbonia wrote: one of the hard lines next to the head looked so rusted that I am amazed it held coolant. Chunks are flaking off of it.

Mine is the same.

Raze Dork
Nov. 15, 2010 4:33 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
LordTurbonia wrote: one of the hard lines next to the head looked so rusted that I am amazed it held coolant. Chunks are flaking off of it.

Mine is the same.

bah, wait till your hoses start splitting while you drive

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Modern Day Track Junkie

8 hours ago in Articles

Christina Lam went from the sidelines to full-on track enthusiast in 8 simple steps.

2017 Audi A8 L

9 hours ago in New Car Reviews

When it comes to luxury sedans, Audis are usually front-runners. The A8 L is the biggest and maybe most comfortable ...

Slight Project Pause for Our BMW M3

11 hours ago in Project Cars

Few things slow down our project car progress more effectively than a broken arm.

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

1 day ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

1 day ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

1 day ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

2 days ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

3 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

3 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

6 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

6 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

1 week ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
iuaQmlnEgGvRnU7rRnVSwi10u39IsuFo