1 2 3 4 5 6
RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/7/14 9:38 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

The funny part is I talk about comfort, trunk space, and towing parts cars around and I'm told to get an FC. Great job GRM, why don't you just tell me to get a Miata!

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
3/8/14 1:40 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: What's the TBI system like on an SBC? I've never had TBI. I only have limited experience with carbs also. I probably would want to eliminate the feedback carb system, that jsut sounds like a bastard.

the GM TBI system is about the simplest thing you will ever work on that doesn't have a points distributor and 2 barrel carb.. but i think they only put them on the 4.3V6 starting in the mid 80's, and maybe on the 305 and 350 in Caprices in 88 and 89..

the feedback carb setup isn't too bad, as long as it works and you don't modify the engine at all. my 305 powered 86 Caprice averaged 28mpg in daily driver usage, with tanks over 30mpg when i went on 80mph interstate cruises with the AC blowing and cruise control set.. it wasn't fast, but i wasn't afraid to pull out in traffic, either..

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
3/8/14 7:26 p.m.

You guys are killing me!

Now I want a Caprice...

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/9/14 12:36 p.m.

This is a tragedy...

1987, 305, but the paint....

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/4366529660.html

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/9/14 12:53 p.m.

v6 81 malibu $1400

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
3/9/14 1:49 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: ooh.. don't know how i forgot this: 70-81 F body (Camaro, Firebird) and 75-79 X body (Nova, etc) front suspension stuff is also the same- or at least interchangeable- so there are a lot of places to look for suspension upgrade parts- like tubular upper control arms for like $50 a piece from circle track suppliers and big hollow sway bars from the late 70's Trans Ams...

I knew someone here would say this bit of truth. Suspension upgrades are easy peasy, and very effective.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
3/9/14 1:52 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: v6 81 malibu $1400

From my circle track days, I can safely tell you that the Malibu/Monte Carlo/Regal/etc from 78-on is what they call a "metric-car" and has bad suspension geometry and the upgrades are neither as plentiful nor effective as they are on the Impala/Caprice of that era.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/9/14 1:58 p.m.

Would the nuts and bolts on an 87-90 Caprice be Metric or Standard? I only have metric tools...

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
3/9/14 2:02 p.m.

I believe metric, but unsure. Best way to find out is grap some wreches and hit Pick a Part.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/9/14 2:13 p.m.

Its probably gonna be a mix, the deeper you dig in the more SAE you'll likely find.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/9/14 2:35 p.m.

It's definitely a mix. There's no rhyme or reason to the sizes they use. I can guarantee you that you will empty your toolbox every time you work on it. Just recently, while working on Dad's Tahoe I emptied the toolbox, twice. Here's what I used:

SAE: 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16 and 4/4.

Metric: 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm (yes, it is a little different than the 1/2), 15mm, 16mm, 18mm, 19mm and 24mm.

Torx: T15, T25, T27.

Add in different lengths of #2 Philips and flathead screws randomly mixed in for giggles. Also, you'll need hammers. Lots of them. Pry bars, a few gallons of PB Blaster and a couple tubs of anit-sieze when you reinstall.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/9/14 2:39 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: I drove them back in the day. They sucked then. They are worse now. Just my opinion. Get an FC.

Wow. You're either functionally retarded, or blind. Not sure which.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/9/14 5:18 p.m.

Hmmm... This post title seems vaguely familiar. Next up in my series is a John Cooper Works Mini. That is sort of the opposite of a big Berkeleying Chevy.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
3/9/14 5:33 p.m.

Metric or SAE? When I worked for an automobile OMC supplier that was the easy way to tell when something had been redesigned recently. We built and sold parts to all the U.S. big three and all their oldest designed parts, prints, etc. were SAE. Whenever a part was redesigned by our customers the new drawings, dies, etc. they sent us were all metric.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/9/14 6:24 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: Would the nuts and bolts on an 87-90 Caprice be Metric or Standard? I only have metric tools...

The proper answer to that question is, yes.

Probably them most irritating thing about GM cars.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/9/14 6:51 p.m.

Man, I can't find one of these worth buying at a good price.

Learn me, y'all. I did a few google searches. Had trouble finding specifics on the differences between the cop and civilian cars. I know they have uprated brakes and suspension. I saw that the 87-90 9C1 cars had a 5x5 lug pattern instead of 5x4.75.

What are the differences between the 87-90 and 90-96 cop models? I'm wondering about swapping parts from the 90-96 onto the 87-90 chassis (a civilian one).

$$$ bolt ons = Not GRM. 2nd had cop pats = GRM.

That's what I figure, at least.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/9/14 6:51 p.m.

Man, I can't find one of these worth buying at a good price.

Learn me, y'all. I did a few google searches. Had trouble finding specifics on the differences between the cop and civilian cars. I know they have uprated brakes and suspension. I saw that the 87-90 9C1 cars had a 5x5 lug pattern instead of 5x4.75.

What are the differences between the 87-90 and 90-96 cop models? I'm wondering about swapping parts from the 90-96 onto the 87-90 chassis (a civilian one).

$$$ bolt ons = Not GRM. 2nd had cop pats = GRM.

That's what I figure, at least.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/9/14 8:50 p.m.

spindles, rotors in front. rear end in back. the civilian cars had 7.5" rear axle, cop cars got 8.5"

rear axle could come from any 77-90 fullsize caddy, buick - non wagon. or any 91-96 has 5x5 regardless of 9c1 or not. same for front. spindles and rotors could also come from any 77-90 wagon. they all have 12" brakes and 5x5 bolt circle. 96 9c1 i believe got bigger lower ball joints so if the stuff you get comes from one of those you need to get the bj's too.

you can literally swap everything out from under a rotten 94 9c1 to a rust free box, or whatever you want. just stay away from wagon rear bits.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/9/14 9:09 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Hm. I would have thought the wagon would have got tough rear end stuff for load bearing.

So the 9c1 basically got the wagon front end stuff? Or is there a difference between the wagon and cop parts?

Rear brakes are the same with the wagon/sedan/cops?

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/9/14 9:56 p.m.

That bangshift car is perfect! Does it have the police package suspension or any other modifications? Its surprisingly flat on the autocross track.

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
3/9/14 10:19 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: In reply to patgizz: Hm. I would have thought the wagon would have got tough rear end stuff for load bearing. So the 9c1 basically got the wagon front end stuff? Or is there a difference between the wagon and cop parts? Rear brakes are the same with the wagon/sedan/cops?

The wagon rear-end is wider I believe.

ssswitch
ssswitch New Reader
3/9/14 10:31 p.m.
Lof8 wrote: That bangshift car is perfect! Does it have the police package suspension or any other modifications? Its surprisingly flat on the autocross track.

There's a huge series of articles about the build on bangshift, but the gist of it is that it has the Hotchkis suspension setup for that car. A lot of work but clearly Hotchkis really do know what they're doing when it comes to handling.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/9/14 11:24 p.m.

....Hm, 2nd hand LT1's are pretty cheap.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/9/14 11:34 p.m.

There's a reason for that. They are the red headed step child of the small block Chevy world. There is very little after market if you want to change anything. And what is there is often a niche industry item, so its spendy. You'd be ahead of the game by staying with the first gen small block or go LSx. I'd personally do a traditional small block. Tons and tons of cheap speed there.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
3/9/14 11:41 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote: I drove them back in the day. They sucked then. They are worse now. Just my opinion. Get an FC.
Did you even read this?

I guess I didn't read this thread. Must have gotten it confused with one of your multiple other threads on the topic of your next car. You mentioned squinting at an F-body and seeing an FC in this thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/wheres-my-self-respect/80424/page1/

Didn't realize you changed your scope so drastically from the other thread. Carry on.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n6iVchA4XM0Ru3DDsGsgvC4qnDJ11CzMI6vQCeW636E5boq6ZDeNnT1Al8Rang90