SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
12/30/16 10:52 a.m.

I've noticed lately that Hyundai Genesis Coupes are getting cheaper and cheaper. Today, I saw a Certified 2015 Genesis Coupe 3.8 in the top-of-the-line Ultimate trim with a 6-speed manual transmission and low mileage selling for $21k. On paper, these look great! Check the goodies out: 348hp V6, Torsen limited slip, staggered 19" wheels, Brembos, leather, HID's, the better suspension from the R-Spec, heated seats and mirrors, sunroof, and more. It even has a HD Radio, which is something I want (we have a GREAT HD station here called The Bone that plays 70's-80's "Camaro Music"). It does 0-60 in 5.2 and does the 1/4 in 13.8. Not bad at all.

So that all sounds great, but the last Hyundai we owned (a 2007 Elantra) was awful. I know some of you guys really like Hyundai/KIA stuff, but this car was TERRIBLE. We had tons of issues with it, and even when things were recalled (like the PCM wiring harness that slightly caught fire) they fought us every inch. And working on the car was a PITA, too. I shouldn't have to remove the rear control arms to do a brake job.

So, what do you guys think of the Genesis Coupe? Is it a hidden gem, or a total turd?

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
12/30/16 10:58 a.m.

Definite hidden gem. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your '07, but the newer Hyundais are pretty well bomb proof. I remember reading about the 3.8 vs 2.0t when they first came out and, as I recall, the 2.0 turbo was better balanced, handled better, and was less problematic than the v6 with very little given up in straight line performance.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/16 11:39 a.m.

I remember hearing that the early Genesis Coupes had some severe manual transmission reliability issues, but I think it was eventually fixed.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/30/16 2:16 p.m.

you don't pull the rear control arms for brakes on any of the Hyundai/Kias. Not unless you're doing it wrong. But every company makes a bad car once in a while. HEll, the wife's Toyota Rav was a complete pile that ate 4 catalytic converters, one rear diff, the ECU, struts and shocks and a distributor in 80k miles and caught on fire on me on the way home.

Mister Fister
Mister Fister Reader
12/30/16 2:42 p.m.

Drive one - Hyundai has no fucking clue how to tune a suspension.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/30/16 3:31 p.m.

I have heard very good things about the coupes. A colleague has 100k trouble free miles on the v6. I can't speak for the handling unfortunately but I did hear the 2.0t track pack vs 3.8 as well.

I'm not a Hyundai/Kia fan in the very least but they make really decent cars these days. My biggest issue with them in general is ease of maintenance. My inlaws have a pair of Sorrentos that have been good to them as well.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/30/16 3:37 p.m.

i find them easy to work on. Easier than the GM's/Ford's/Chrysler's over the years. IT's always a 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 or 21mm for the entire car.

I did have the opportunity to drive an R-spec in 2010. Handling was very neutral but needed more power (2010 R-spec was the 210-hp 2.0T). The #1 problem of most Hyundai/Kia's are the shocks/struts. God they'er terrible. Good set of strocks makes a WORLD of difference.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/16 3:50 p.m.
Mister Fister wrote: Drive one - Hyundai has no berkeleying clue how to tune a suspension.

Hey, you want to stop using these EM tags to get around the filters?

On topic, a newer Genesis showed up for autox this year, makes an awfully nice noise and did fairly well around the cones. I have limited experience with Hyundai as a whole, and aside from the idiocy of philips screws on the brake rotors on the Tucson SUV, my friends have had good luck with theirs.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/30/16 4:05 p.m.
RevRico wrote:
Mister Fister wrote: Drive one - Hyundai has no berkeleying clue how to tune a suspension.
Hey, you want to stop using these EM tags to get around the filters? On topic, a newer Genesis showed up for autox this year, makes an awfully nice noise and did fairly well around the cones. I have limited experience with Hyundai as a whole, and aside from the idiocy of philips screws on the brake rotors on the Tucson SUV, my friends have had good luck with theirs.

Honda uses the exact same screws. I nkow because I replaced mine with some from my previous employer!

Also, I am of the firm belief the right exhaust on that 3.8 Lambda V6 is the best sounding V6 on the planet. MAy not make the most power, but damn it sounds beautiful.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
12/30/16 4:18 p.m.

I will say it is more set up as a GT car as opposed to a "sports" car, when I test drove the V6 (around 2012) before I got the RX8 while I was impressed this is what Hyundai came to be it was still a ways off its peers in the class.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/30/16 4:25 p.m.

In reply to JtspellS:

It wasn't until 2013 that they started making power from the engines either. They're heavy and would make a great GT car. They've got more in common with the G35 coupe than anything else.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/16 9:29 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: I will say it is more set up as a GT car as opposed to a "sports" car, when I test drove the V6 (around 2012) before I got the RX8 while I was impressed this is what Hyundai came to be it was still a ways off its peers in the class.

nothing better shocks/struts, springs, and some swaybars won't fix. Probably going "square" on the wheel setup too

Rodan
Rodan Reader
12/31/16 8:58 a.m.

We test drove an R-spec V6 when we were shopping DDs for SWMBO in 2014... it felt big and soft, very Mustang-like. Decent power, shifter wasn't great. Nice interior materials for the price point. IMHO, Kia/Hyundai offer pretty good value, especially 1-2 years used. The G-coupe just wasn't quite what we were looking for at the time.

We ended up with a lightly used 2013 PRHT NC Miata.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/16 9:21 a.m.

Look up common replacement parts for the Brembo brake package sometime. A friend of mine works in the dealer network and he says it's eye-watering.

No idea if any of it crosses over to Subaru or Evo or anything else with Brembos.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/16 10:35 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Look up common replacement parts for the Brembo brake package sometime. A friend of mine works in the dealer network and he says it's eye-watering.

I can believe it. The few things I needed to fix on my old Tiburon, the parts cost MORE than the same parts that had I had to replace on my old BMW 318ti

dropstep
dropstep Dork
12/31/16 11:21 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: i find them easy to work on. Easier than the GM's/Ford's/Chrysler's over the years. IT's always a 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 or 21mm for the entire car. I did have the opportunity to drive an R-spec in 2010. Handling was very neutral but needed more power (2010 R-spec was the 210-hp 2.0T). The #1 problem of most Hyundai/Kia's are the shocks/struts. God they'er terrible. Good set of strocks makes a WORLD of difference.

You cant even get the oil filter off the v6's with the sizes you listed. But otherwise they seem to be as much of a quality vehicle as anything else in this day and age. My dad loves his, ive only seen one person who had issues and that eventually led too a buy back after she got her lawyer involved.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/31/16 2:03 p.m.

I kinda want a genesis r sedan.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hjs4YVKVRyYVUVDH18YFenbbmmYEHRibV7AqdWILzKaJMhRXbuELVMsPy0oYOZv0