1 2 3
spear322
spear322 New Reader
9/12/18 8:05 a.m.

I am in need of help from the grm brain trust.  As the title states I am in the market for a new used car for around $20k.  I will be paying cash so I do not want to go much higher than that.  I would also like to find something with under 75k miles.

Now for the important part, I want a sleeper.  I want something that will fly under the radar and has decent power.  Most of my driving is on the highway, so comfort is something I am also considering.  I am not apposed to SUV or trucks.  I was thinking about getting a CTS, however after reading all the issues with the DI engine I think I will pass.  I would love a CTS-V but they are out of my price range with the mileage requirement (wife's mandate). 

I am open to most brands, however I rather steer away from high maintenance (cost wise) vehicles.  

So, in a nut shell:

• Power
  • Comfort (I love a car that handles but this will be a cruiser)
  • ~$20k
  • Sleeper

Any ideas would be a big help.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
9/12/18 8:19 a.m.

Ex cop caprice.  Basically a G8 that looks like a rental Impala, complete with a 6.0 LSX.  You can upgrade the Interior with the G8 stuff to make it a nicer place to be and as usual with GM stuff there are plenty of upgrades available if you want them.   

AMG E63 with bumpers from a regular E350.  It’s a nice classy sedan, but has 500hp. Take off the badges and nobody notices.   It is at its best when crossing continents   

Chrysler 300 SRT8.   Looks like every other 300 with big wheels, but has the big Hemi motor in it.  You should be able to swap to rental grade 300 bumpers and take off the badges on this one too. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/12/18 8:34 a.m.

The 2011-2014ish Buick Regal GS. Looks like a regular Regal, except for some different wheels and front bumper vents. Packs the 270h0/295lb-ftp LTG 2.0L turbo, available with either AWD or FWD, automatic or 6-speed manual. Brembo brakes. HiPer Strut suspension.  If 270hp isn't enough, Trifecta Tune makes a $650 reflash that is supposedly worth another 90hp/90lb-ft peak-to-peak

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/12/18 8:41 a.m.

Hyundai genesis. 375hp v8, comfy as hell, says hyundai on it so everyone assumes it's a slow pos. Depreciates like any Korean car, cheap as hell for a super nice one. 

spear322
spear322 New Reader
9/12/18 8:44 a.m.

Hmmm.  didn't think about the Genesis time to do some searching

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/12/18 8:45 a.m.

Sleeper!

Infiniti's M-car came as the M37 as which means 3.7L V6 but it also came as the M56 which means 420 hp 5.6L engine out of the Titan Pickup truck.  Sedan with big truck motor!!!  

Non aggressive styling too.  

reports say to avoid too much of the options like tech package with intrusive adaptive cruise control.  Also, reports say to avoid the S-sport model for too big tires which result in too small a sidewall and too much of a harsh ride.  There is also the M56x which adds awd.  

Super depreciation of Infiniti adds to the value.  Let me guess, you've never heard of this model?  Yeah, I know.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/12/18 8:46 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Sleeper!

Infiniti's M-car came as the M37 as which means 3.7L V6 but it also came as the M56 which means 420 hp 5.6L engine out of the Titan Pickup truck.  Sedan with big truck motor!!!  

reports say to avoid too much of the options like tech package with intrusive adaptive cruise control.  Also, reports say to avoid the S-sport model for too big tires which result in too small a sidewall and too much of a harsh ride.  There is also the M56x which adds awd.  

Super depreciation of Infiniti adds to the value.  Let me guess, you've never heard of this model?  Yeah, I know.  

These things are super cool. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/12/18 8:52 a.m.
Mndsm said:
John Welsh said:

Sleeper!

These things are super cool. 

Chris Forsberg built a hilarious M56 drift demo car that could take four people for a ride.

spear322
spear322 New Reader
9/12/18 8:58 a.m.

LOL, that drift car is awesome.  It is on my list, I am having a very hard time finding one with lower miles.   I used to have a Q50 (lease) and I absolutely loved it.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/12/18 9:00 a.m.

The newer Fusion Sport AWD with the EcoBoost V6 does the 1/4 in 13.7 (!!!!) and since it's boosted I would imagine there's room for easy improvement there. 325hp. The prices are hovering right around $20k right now

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/12/18 9:03 a.m.
spear322 said:

LOL, that drift car is awesome.  It is on my list, I am having a very hard time finding one with lower miles.   I used to have a Q50 (lease) and I absolutely loved it.

So you have heard of it. Cool. 

In the later years the M56 was renamed the Q70.  The Q70 was offered with a 3.7L V6 or the 5.6L.  As the Q70 they also offered a Q70L which stood for Long and like Jag and BMW got you some more rear leg room.  

TGMF
TGMF Reader
9/12/18 9:04 a.m.

Mk 7  (2015-present) Golf GTI sport with a stage 1 (or 2) tune. Fast, subtle, good MPG,  fun to drive and still good on the highway.   

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
9/12/18 9:06 a.m.

Volvo S80 V8. 311hp may not set the world on fire but it's plenty adequate and you would be hard pressed to find a more comfortable highway cruiser.

spear322
spear322 New Reader
9/12/18 9:08 a.m.

In reply to TGMF :

I just sold my 2017 GTI Sport.  My wife hated the seats .....I  miss that car

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/12/18 9:18 a.m.

Low option M56 in VA Asking $16k 

Low option M56x farther in VA asking $20k 

Yeah, these cars are not available on every corner

spear322
spear322 New Reader
9/12/18 10:58 a.m.

I am seeing quite a few SHOs for sale.  Any experience with them?

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/12/18 11:07 a.m.

C5 RS6? 

Not exactly cheap to own, but I’ve always though they were one of the ultimate sleepers. Only available in 2003.  

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/12/18 11:15 a.m.

x350 Jag isn't exactly new used, but get the nicest, newest XJR and it tips your boxes.  Maybe not quite as much sleeper since it's flashy.  Get the Super V8 for less flash (basically a Vanden Plas with the XJR bits)

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/12/18 11:16 a.m.

I am seeing quite a few SHOs for sale.  Any experience with them?

I've ridden in one. They're very quick, especially from low speeds (awd + turbo) and definitely look like nothing special. However, they really are nothing special other than being fast. I would say it mostly depends on whether you are ok owning a Ford Taurus in the first place. I would honestly rather have the same drivetrain in a Lincoln SUV, and i'm not even old. cheeky

Old_Town
Old_Town New Reader
9/12/18 11:19 a.m.

Lincoln MKS with the Hennessey (or others) tune... Bonus points for AAA or Del Boca Vista stickers...

I saw your post on your departed GTI. I'll say my GLI probably flies under the radar even more (trunk tax) and the seats are different I believe.  

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/12/18 11:32 a.m.
John Welsh said:
spear322 said:

So you have heard of it. Cool. 

In the later years the M56 was renamed the Q70.  The Q70 was offered with a 3.7L V6 or the 5.6L.  As the Q70 they also offered a Q70L which stood for Long and like Jag and BMW got you some more rear leg room.

other thing I noticed today... it and some of its M45 predecessor are double wishbone

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
9/12/18 11:48 a.m.

Man, Infiniti, they're the uncle-you've-never-met of car brands. I'm a "car guy" and I haven't even heard of half of their models.

That M56 sounds cool. I always liked the looks of the M45 and I see them pimped-out around here. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/12/18 12:28 p.m.
NickD said:

The 2011-2014ish Buick Regal GS.

They're cheap for what you get, too, especially the 6spd manual

I've seen a few for sale lately and been tempted but that interior is probably a lot too fancy for me.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/18 12:37 p.m.

Audi RS4 might be sleeper-ish, although they're probably still a bit above your budget. Plus it's another two year only-ish car.

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/12/18 12:46 p.m.
Suprf1y said:
NickD said:

The 2011-2014ish Buick Regal GS.

They're cheap for what you get, too, especially the 6spd manual

I've seen a few for sale lately and been tempted but that interior is probably a lot too fancy for me.

The 6-speed shifter is pretty good. And that LTG motor is a honey of a powerplant. Quite smooth. I've driven CTS, Malibu LTZ Turbos and Regals with it, and I like it in all of the,

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S8S7WRXK3hMC8OtNAUPk0NYLdt5p7nWbLw4pPLbEOoeyfwgPd5IlShOywbIjpH4a