1 2 3
spear322
spear322 New Reader
9/13/18 7:05 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

That is the cheapest one I have seen!  Thank you, I will have to take a ride to look at it.

spear322
spear322 New Reader
9/13/18 7:13 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I love the look of the Jags and I went yesterday and drove a standard XJ and XF.  Liked both of them and I think the R would more than quench my need for power.  However, I do not think I could afford the parts, lol.  Same thing for the Mercs and BMWs.   I have owned a E55 wagon and a 4 BMWs.  I think it is time for something different and where I live the premium brands are more likely to attract attention from the police.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
9/13/18 7:22 a.m.
yupididit said:
Curtis said:

x350 Jag isn't exactly new used, but get the nicest, newest XJR and it tips your boxes.  Maybe not quite as much sleeper since it's flashy.  Get the Super V8 for less flash (basically a Vanden Plas with the XJR bits)

These do look pretty pedestrian for 400hp. 

But, the x350 isn't the latest xjr. I believe the x351 is. Goes to show how obscure it is or how bad jaguar markets it. Hardly anyone knows about the x351 xjr. It lives in the shadow of the F-type R.

2016 XJR Review

The 2012 XJ Supersport (not R) has the supercharged V8, non-R bodywork and runs 12s!

octavious
octavious Dork
9/13/18 10:05 a.m.

Not sure where you are in TN so I picked Nashville, and since it is your money and because you said SUVs are ok.  I suggest a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and take the "turbo" badge off. 

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/porsche-cayenne-turbo-reduced/6674254762.html

Nobody considers SUVs anything but soccermom-mobiles.  I imagine it will scoot around town when needed and ride pretty comfy on the highway. 

I like the idea of the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 but the lowering and ground effects give it away as not being a normal SUV. 

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-srt8-jeep/6686098669.html 

Chevy Trailblazer SS is another one but I don't like the Chevy interiors in those and they tend to be a little bit older, mostly 07ish.  

You get the idea.

And in my it's not a sleeper but people will move out of the fast lane for you, plus life is too short to drive boring cars category...

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-porsche-911-carrera/6670564905.html 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/13/18 10:17 a.m.
spear322 said:

In reply to poopshovel again :

LOL.  I just moved from NJ to Tennessee.  I will need to talk my wife into allowing me to get a higher mileage car.  She thinks that all cars, no matter the maintenance, fall apart at 100k miles.  

Anecdotal evidence, but I had my V1 from 117k - 200k with no problems other than a broken valve spring at around 175k miles. Cost to fix at DEALER (I was in the middle of nowhere on a road-trip) was under $400. Dude actually pulled me into the shop to look at the valve-train. Literally looked brand_new. Something to be said for good old chebby pushrods. Parts are cheap and readily available.

While I understand the wife’s apprehension on mileage, there are more clean, babied $14k examples of these cars than there are clapped-out $10k cars.

I’m seriously considering selling my V2 and getting back into a V1 plus mods.

YMMV.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/18 10:24 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

Example

jeebus, that's only a couple grand more than a clean OE version.  

AngryCorvair
9/13/18 10:29 a.m.

In reply to spear322 :

i had a 2012 Taurus SHO for a while as a company car, so every mile was a hard mile.  do you get snow in your part of the world?  because i drove from Detroit to Chicago during a heavy snow/ice storm and the SHO on Blizzaks pretty much fist-berkeleyed Mother Nature on that drive.  i also road-tripped it in non-winter conditions and the interior is a pretty nice place to spend time.

for full-on sleeper effect, that same powertrain is available in the Flex.  i also had a Flex as a company car for a while, and it's also a pretty decent place to spend time.  it's also got third row seating.

spear322
spear322 New Reader
9/13/18 10:33 a.m.

In reply to octavious :

You Suck!!!.  I want a the porsche, there is one for sale down the street from me.  However there is no way the wife will say yes to thatcrying

I thought about the Trailblazer SS and someone else said the 9-7x aero.  I have not found one that I like.  

I am going to reevaluate the CTS-V.  I wonder if I can find one close with a stick, will take convincing of the wife but that is a good possibility.  Thanks for the heads upyes

spear322
spear322 New Reader
9/13/18 10:57 a.m.

Ok, what should I look for when inspecting the CTS-V other than body damage and obvious abuse.  I found this one and am really temped:

2006 CTS -V

Storz
Storz SuperDork
9/13/18 11:11 a.m.

The Infiniti M56 is amazing, never knew it was a thing

poopshovel again
9/13/18 11:27 a.m.
spear322 said:

Ok, what should I look for when inspecting the CTS-V other than body damage and obvious abuse.  I found this one and am really temped:

2006 CTS -V

A non-hideous color combo? (I joke! I keeeed!)

”Diff whine” is ultra-common and should not be a deal-breaker. Be sure to drive it at hwy speeds in 6th, where it will be most pronounced. Again, not a deal breaker, but a good bargaining chip.

1st/2nd gear “clunk” when depressing clutch-pedal. Symptoms of bad diff bushing. Upgraded bushings (revshift or creative steel) are $200-$300 installed. May have been misdiagnosed as motor mounts (replaced-per ad.)

Radiator has likely/hopefully been replaced by now.

Dash cracks are common.

Don’t short-shift from 1-2; it will force you into 4th. Goofy FE thing. You can get used to it in one day of driving, or buy a cheap, easy to install “CAGS delete.”

I think that’s it? Looks pretty nice. Black paint/plastic next to nav screen are typically gone by that mileage. Go drive the piss out of it and tell us what you think! Hold the TC off button on the steering wheel for a few seconds for doooo-rifto mode.

Gawd, I miss my V1.

PS: What part of TN are you in? LSXperts in ballground GA is top-notch for service/upgrades.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
9/13/18 1:29 p.m.
NickD said:
Mndsm said:
John Welsh said:

Sleeper!

Infiniti's M-car came as the M37 as which means 3.7L V6 but it also came as the M56 which means 420 hp 5.6L engine out of the Titan Pickup truck.  Sedan with big truck motor!!!  

Non aggressive styling too.  

reports say to avoid too much of the options like tech package with intrusive adaptive cruise control.  Also, reports say to avoid the S-sport model for too big tires which result in too small a sidewall and too much of a harsh ride.  There is also the M56x which adds awd.  

Super depreciation of Infiniti adds to the value.  Let me guess, you've never heard of this model?  Yeah, I know.  

These things are super cool. 

Chris Forsberg built a hilarious M56 drift demo car that could take four people for a ride.

apparently that 5.6 makes for a good drift vehicle. there was that commercial or whatever it was a while back with the big nissan van drifting around, turns out it was a totally stock van with the 5.6, only mods were a hydraulic handbrake and a welded diff.

poopshovel again
9/13/18 2:06 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
poopshovel again said:

Example

jeebus, that's only a couple grand more than a clean OE version.  

Buy it so I don’t have to, bish!

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/13/18 2:55 p.m.

I thought about the Trailblazer SS and someone else said the 9-7x aero.

This is another one that falls under the Taurus SHO category where you have to be ok driving a Trailblazer first. Not that i strongly dislike them, i think they're ok. Definitely not a premium product among the cars mentioned in this thread. Also, a TBSS is a lot slower than other stuff in this thread. Fixable if you care to. I have a coworker with a 600+whp TBSS. Figure it's approximately as fast as a stock M56. cheeky

I throw in another vote for checking out an Equus, i drove one briefly and liked it. 

spear322
spear322 New Reader
9/13/18 3:05 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

I am just outside of Chattanooga in Cleveland Tn.  I am hopefully gonna take the 3 hour drive to go see it tomorrow as long as I have someone to go with me incase I pull the triggerdevil

Thanks for the info on what to look out for, much appreciated

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/13/18 3:07 p.m.

I’d like a 2003 ish Toureg.  The one with the 5.0 V10 TDI.  When tuned it’s a comfy coal-rolling beast.

AngryCorvair
9/13/18 3:35 p.m.
spear322 said:

2006 CTS -V

that car's been advertised for about 2 months now, price was $16.8k iirc so he just dropped it a grand.   those are Forgestar rims and are about $350 apiece IIRC.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/18 4:23 p.m.
spear322 said:

In reply to octavious :

You Suck!!!.  I want a the porsche, there is one for sale down the street from me.  However there is no way the wife will say yes to thatcrying

I thought about the Trailblazer SS and someone else said the 9-7x aero.  I have not found one that I like.  

I am going to reevaluate the CTS-V.  I wonder if I can find one close with a stick, will take convincing of the wife but that is a good possibility.  Thanks for the heads upyes

Luckily for you, ALL V1 CTS-Vs are stick shift laugh

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/14/18 1:11 a.m.

In reply to octavious :

That Nashville Cayenne is a Turbo S.  Something tells me I should be very afraid of that.  Why should I not be?  Seems tempting to me.

PHAN
PHAN New Reader
9/14/18 1:58 a.m.

Debadged E39 M5 or 540i.
Can definitely eat up a highway in comfort while providing enough room for actual adults. 
Handles very well for its weight.
If I hadn't read somewhere that the car had recirculating ball steering, I wouldn't have guessed it the first time I drove a V8 E39. 
2-8k for a 540i. 8-20k for an M5. Some higher mileage examples are still pretty well maintained and every once in a while, will sell in the lowest price ranges. 

poopshovel again
9/14/18 6:02 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
spear322 said:

2006 CTS -V

that car's been advertised for about 2 months now, price was $16.8k iirc so he just dropped it a grand.   those are Forgestar rims and are about $350 apiece IIRC.

Yup. It also appears to have a warm air intake, and maybe exhaust, and who knows what other goodies.

octavious
octavious Dork
9/14/18 7:48 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

In reply to octavious :

That Nashville Cayenne is a Turbo S.  Something tells me I should be very afraid of that.  Why should I not be?  Seems tempting to me.

Because it is an out of warranty twin turbo V8 German SUV?

I honestly do not know much about the Cayennes, but when I think of sleeper it is something that looks like other boring cars.  For instance, there is a normal 6cyl Cayenne with (guessing) 300HP and then there is one that looks just like it with over 500HP.  Pop the badges off and you can't tell the difference until you step on the gas.  Same as the CTSV these guys are talking about.  There is a regular Caddy and then there are these monsters, pop the V badge off the back and it looks like the normal one.   

wspohn
wspohn Dork
9/15/18 12:40 p.m.

How about a Mazdaspeed 3? Much lower 'visibility' to others than a Subie WRX and if you remove the badges, everyone will take you for a mundane sedan, not knowing that it does 0-60 in 5.2 and 1/4 in 13.9.  Made until 2013 so a good used one should easily fit your target price.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iSc838jUlY4wkQXPtpfS6Ptf2ligQB4pnS8xN4rSXZz1h4BoiHBU2xqCReSHXUS6