1 2
Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
1/12/13 12:45 p.m.

In reply to neon4891:

I wanted an +03, but finding one that wasn't a low-spec GS was impossible. Or I would find an LS Ultimate with a mock top.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/13 3:21 p.m.

Why do I suddenly have the urge to build one as a full mod car?

Powar
Powar Dork
1/17/13 9:45 a.m.

I co-drove a friend's Marauder at an autocross this season. It was a lot of fun and reminded me that autocrossing with an automatic is frustrating as hell. Still, though.... drifting the showcase turn was damned amusing.

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
7/31/14 10:38 a.m.

Thread bump for an update: the Marquis has been sold as a part of my "I don't need cars whilst living in Germany plan". I put over twelve thousand miles on the car, and aside from general maintenance, I only had to replace a bad wiper arm in my year of ownership. In that year, I averaged 20.1 mpg; not too bad for what it is. If I'm honest though, I did not find the car to be as nice to drive as my Caprice. It was certainly a comfortable car, but it didn't quite handle the same, though the bump in power over the Caprice was nice. I'd definitely buy another one, but I would hold out for a 03+, and make it a Town Car while you're at it.

Into the blue again, after the money's gone...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/31/14 11:35 a.m.
44Dwarf wrote: So you "living in a shoot gun shack"

That's "shotgun shack".

It is a reference to a particular Southern vernacular form of architecture. It is a small, narrow, deep house that has a front door, and a rear door which align, and you generally have to go through one bedroom to get to the other.

Similar to what Northerner's know as a Railroad style apartment.

So named, because you could allegedly walk in the front door with a shotgun, and be able to shoot at someone running out the back door.

But yes, great title.

Also a good car. My mother has one, with less than 25K on it.

Will
Will SuperDork
7/31/14 11:43 a.m.
neon4891 wrote:
Hoop wrote: As for its classing... probably G Stock?
Yes. Panther cars are GS.

They're actually in FS. Check p.170 of the 2014 rulebook.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
7/31/14 11:46 a.m.
Will wrote:
neon4891 wrote:

I assume a mid 90's caprice with the 9C1 pkge would be in the same class also right?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/14 11:46 a.m.
neon4891 wrote:
Hoop wrote:
failboat wrote: Ill have to check the garage to see if i have any parts leftover from my 99 gs. I autocrossed it with stock suspension, hpp 21mm rear sway bar, and some 17x8 mustang wheels with 245 width tires. Steering feel non existent but the car was predictable.
Oh, if you have any of that, let me know! As for its classing... probably G Stock?
Yes. Panther cars are GS. Last time I went there where 5 cars in GS, the largest class that day. My Neon, 2 P71s, a 9C1, and IIRC, a StarQuest. Side note, V6 Accords are also in GS. Either way, I have my heart set on replacing my neon with one of these boats. Preferably an '03 or newer for the frame. But if I end up with an older one, I have some 235/75/15 snow tires from an F-150 for Rallycross.

FTFY

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
7/31/14 12:09 p.m.
Will wrote:
neon4891 wrote:

When I autocrossed mine, they (the region with whom I run) had no issues with me running it in G. No one protested my Caprice wagon in H.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
7/31/14 12:39 p.m.
Hoop wrote: In reply to neon4891: I wanted an +03, but finding one that wasn't a low-spec GS was impossible. Or I would find an LS Ultimate with a mock top.

I've sometimes thought it would be amusing to take one of those mock top Town Cars and make the vinyl roof section into a removable hardtop. A Town Car 'vert would be a great road trip car. Top down cruising for the whole family!

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
7/31/14 1:00 p.m.
irish44j wrote: And you may ask yourself How do I drive without a third pedal? And you may ask yourself What is that thing sticking out of the steering column? And you may tell yourself This is not an e30 or Miata! And you may ask yourself Am I right?...Am I wrong? And you may tell yourself MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Awesome.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
7/31/14 1:14 p.m.

I may have to go in a slightly different direction with my Town and Country now...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/31/14 3:15 p.m.

Same as it ever was.

nhmercracer
nhmercracer New Reader
8/5/14 7:20 a.m.

Guess which song started playing on the radio as I read this thread?

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
8/5/14 7:26 p.m.

Hell, from 2004 though 2007 I autocrossed a olds delta 88 from 1982 that also got taken to the challenge in 2004 and it was fun to run. You can video from ckosacranoid on youtube running it.

Will
Will SuperDork
8/5/14 8:16 p.m.
Richard Nixon wrote:
Will wrote:
neon4891 wrote:
When I autocrossed mine, they (the region with whom I run) had no issues with me running it in G. No one protested my Caprice wagon in H.

Smokey, this is not Nam. There are rules.

(I don't actually care where you run it. I just wanted to quote Lebowski to someone who, judging by his username, is obviously not a golfer).

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
8/6/14 3:57 p.m.

You're not wrong, Will. You're just an shiny happy person-hole.

Will
Will SuperDork
8/6/14 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Richard Nixon:

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
8/6/14 4:06 p.m.

I don't see any connection to Vietnam, Walter.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/6/14 4:32 p.m.

Can it (along with P71s) be made to have a third pedal with any kind of ease?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
8/6/14 5:48 p.m.
ransom wrote: I'll go ahead and say that the thread and its title are brilliant, even for those of us who have little to no interest in the car. The car matters not. There is brilliance afoot here.

Well said!

sanman
sanman HalfDork
8/6/14 6:08 p.m.

There is a new show on some channel or other about a can driver partnering with a cop to stop crimes. He has a duped up panther yellow cab. All that show made me want to do is buy a nice panther and throw a bunch of mustang mods under it and make it my new DD. It feels good to know I am not the only person who thinks this is a good idea.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
8/6/14 11:14 p.m.

I still have a weird fascination with P71s and I want to own one someday. I did have a 92 Crown Vic winter beater for a few years during college but it was a lovely shade of burgundy on burgundy interior so it didn't really "intimidate" people like a proper Crown Vic should.

I'd still love to get a P71 in the classic black and white paint scheme with push bars and put a Kenny Bell Supercharger on it. It would still only run low 15s at best but it would be fun.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/14 12:12 a.m.
ryanty22 wrote: Can it (along with P71s) be made to have a third pedal with any kind of ease?

Apparently, the pre 03s fall together with ease and various stock Mustang parts.

fastscenery
fastscenery New Reader
10/16/14 4:55 a.m.

Gotta tell ya there is a cool factor hustling lots of mass around. I spend a lot of time in the Crown Vic PI's at Summit Point (BSR instructing). Big fun is in your future! Crown Vic laps at Summit Point

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OlLobahPnqhEPmefyziAa31tUhiuJWoERlF3Bbk1FkDcKjmrIZ3Pft36trqlHQ3r