1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
2/6/18 10:33 a.m.
feature_image

Don't you just love it when your neighbors have an interesting taste in cars? This TVR appeared across the street from associate publisher Joe Gearin's house this past weekend. It's a 1973 TVR 2500M, and it's been with the current owner since 1978. The car lived almost all its life in San Diego. What do we mean by blown? Well, …

Read the rest of the story

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
2/6/18 12:03 p.m.

How tall is too tall for this car? Always loved these.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/6/18 1:40 p.m.

Anyone see the guy that used to work at TVR on The Grand Tour?  That was some funny stuff, there.  I wonder if this is the car with the giant penis on it.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
2/6/18 2:19 p.m.

I'm assembling a 240+hp supercharged Mazda BP currently. Seems like this would be a great recipient for that engine.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/6/18 2:29 p.m.

This car is begging for an engine transplant of some sort.   Another "warmed up" TR6 engine would be fun, and sound great----- but it is really a blank canvas.

I'd think 250 hp would be plenty with that tiny wheelbase, and only 2K pounds to motivate.  Of course there are always those of the "too much is never enough" camp.  For those guys.....I'm sure an LS would fit.  

The bones really do look nice.  It's a great candidate for a killer project.

When I saw the interior...... I knew it had been a well-loved car.  Original (and perfect) door cards, a nice (un-cracked dash),  these are things a neglected car does not have......  and of course....TURBO for the insane!   

again....not  mine, no affiliation..  Just trying to help a new neighbor

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/6/18 3:31 p.m.

I love that...very cool.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/6/18 3:41 p.m.

Honestly being this is a tvr it’s begging for some sort of v8 swap. The old Buick/rover v8 definitely could go in there or an ls motor for modern compactness. But a ford small block should work out just like the original griffin and the 5000m which was the same car with the 302.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/6/18 3:47 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

How tall is too tall for this car? Always loved these.

It depends on your build----- but it's not roomy.   I'd think 5'10" would  be pushing the upper limits.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/6/18 3:51 p.m.

It’s interesting many cars this small have such A giant console in them.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/18 3:53 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

There's not much console, its mostly transmission tunnel.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/6/18 3:56 p.m.
Stefan said:
MotorsportsGordon said:

True guess it just shows that small cars should have transaxles.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/18 4:02 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
Stefan said:
MotorsportsGordon said:

Yeah, except that companies like TVR and Lotus who build cars like that can't afford rear mounted transaxles and the required torquetube and the ones that can afford it, build slightly larger cars to reach a wider audience.

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder Reader
2/6/18 4:04 p.m.

Looking at the turbo system, I can't imagine why it blew up!  Probably did well until pushed!

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/6/18 4:05 p.m.
Stefan said:
MotorsportsGordon said:
Stefan said:
MotorsportsGordon said:

Yeah, except that companies like TVR and Lotus who build cars like that can't afford rear mounted transaxles and the required torquetube and the ones that can afford it, build slightly larger cars to reach a wider audience.

In fairness they do now but transxles were fairly new at that time and rare on any front engine car.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
2/6/18 4:13 p.m.

I would be inclined to repower it with a Japanese turbo 6 cylinder to keep the spirit of the previous build but add some reliability and more power... I really like the styling of these, but the price is too steep for me right now.  Joe, please keep us posted if the asking price is reduced!

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/6/18 4:16 p.m.

I googled tvr 2500m engine swap and the first one to come up was an ls6 lol.

the first page was actually all v8 lol ls,sbc,sbf,ford modular,rover etc.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/18 4:31 p.m.
Cotton said:

I love that...very cool.

Buy this so I can buy it from you next year. I'm full! 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/6/18 5:31 p.m.

I want that so bad ...

As far as I know, the TVR 2500 is basically a rebodied TR6 right?

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
2/6/18 5:43 p.m.

Not really, the engine and gearbox are TR6, the steering rack and front uprights are of Triumph origin,  diff might be Triumph but I can't remember (it's been probably 10 years since I've been under a 2500M).  The rear uprights are TVR along with all the suspension arms, chassis, body etc.  The rest is from various UK parts bins.  

And I do agree, a Japanese inline 6 would be a great swap.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/6/18 6:29 p.m.

I have a 331 sbf, built T5 and clutch sitting around begging for this type of platform

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/6/18 7:14 p.m.
RoddyMac17 said:

Not really, the engine and gearbox are TR6, the steering rack and front uprights are of Triumph origin,  diff might be Triumph but I can't remember (it's been probably 10 years since I've been under a 2500M).  The rear uprights are TVR along with all the suspension arms, chassis, body etc.  The rest is from various UK parts bins.  

And I do agree, a Japanese inline 6 would be a great swap.

They had a few versions of the same car. The 1600m used a ford 1.6 Kent engine,the 3000m seed a ford Essex 3.0 v6. A turbo version of the 3000 was developed aswell and the 5000 with the 302 for North America.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_M_Series

jdoc90
jdoc90 New Reader
2/6/18 8:36 p.m.

it screams 3 rotor wankel  20b anyone?    

te72
te72 New Reader
2/6/18 10:56 p.m.
jdoc90 said:

it screams 3 rotor wankel  20b anyone?    

The award for nutjob who figured out a way to make a TVR even more deadly, this guy^^^ ! =P

In seriousness though, that would be a hoot. Too bad the 20b costs about as much as the car itself, last I checked.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/18 5:11 a.m.

Yes, this is one on my bucket list for sure. I have a friend with one that has a 347 Ford small block in it. Wish there was room here (and budget) but not now....

The turbo setup on this is unique, have not seen anything like it on a TR6 motor. Looks like it was a draw thru design, and the carb is missing?  Definitely a time bomb, but there are much better motors for this car and well done engine swaps are the norm for these cars so don't detract from the value too much. 

Someone here needs to buy this!

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
2/7/18 6:52 a.m.

A turbo on a TR6 motor?  My guess is the bearings are in the sump along with the big ends.

I'm thinking triple rotary here.  Keep it light and balanced.

Has CMS ever done a TVR project car?  If not, might I suggest they consider one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BTMfhwErO9GMQ3SS7sAhpu4XMNy5Mh5McRyZCxLOq0RWd8XmX4vdMc8RbufNo8or