1 2
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
12/27/13 8:02 p.m.

It's a simple question. What did you like most, and why?

Also curious what you thought was least useful, least entertaining, or otherwise disliked.

Go.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
12/27/13 9:28 p.m.

I really liked the LeMons race car "guide." I always wondered when someone would put one together. Took the edge of of wondering what cars work better than others especially considering they're $500 turds.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/13 7:55 a.m.

Apparently mine came yesterday. But, whoever went to the box failed to tell me it arrived until this morning.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/28/13 8:05 a.m.

I forgot the new one at work before the holiday shutdown... But otherwise I'm partial to the MK1 MR2 special a few issues ago. (Big surprise.)

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/28/13 8:27 a.m.

Any article covering the challenge or a car from the challenge always holds my attention.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/28/13 9:40 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: Any article covering the challenge or a car from the challenge always holds my attention.

This. I started reading the magazine because of the Challenge.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
12/28/13 9:50 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
JoeyM wrote: Any article covering the challenge or a car from the challenge always holds my attention.

This x2.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
12/28/13 2:29 p.m.

I vote Challenge and UTCC articles. more the latter since I work the event on the NASA side.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/13 2:35 p.m.

I like how-to stuff and detailed build descriptions. I have very little interest in event coverage aside from the Challenge.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
12/28/13 2:58 p.m.

I really like that the model specific overviews are back. I really missed them when CMS came on board and they kinda disappeared. I was stoked to have two in this issue, the Audi coupe and the Mazdaspeed Miata. Detailed challenge builds are good. All my favorites happened five or six years ago though. The detailed info on cars I never even would have considered as a project. I remember how the Mazda Protege, Suzuki Swift and Yugo articles made such an impression I'm still obsessing about them over five years on.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/28/13 4:42 p.m.

Tire tests,saves me from buying the wrong tires.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/28/13 6:25 p.m.

Also, to be helpful, I really enjoy the similar write-ups/buyer's guides on various cars from the past. Some of them passed me by without even a nod, so it's interesting to see WHY I should be interested in Neon ACR's and Sentra SE-R's.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/28/13 7:09 p.m.
Pat wrote:
mndsm wrote:
This x2.

Times 3

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
12/28/13 7:31 p.m.
Woody wrote: I like how-to stuff and detailed build descriptions. I have very little interest in event coverage aside from the Challenge.

times two

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/28/13 7:36 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
Pat wrote:
mndsm wrote:
This x2.
Times 3

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
12/28/13 8:29 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
wheels777 wrote:
Pat wrote:
mndsm wrote:
This x2.
Times 3

x5

imarcr2
imarcr2 New Reader
12/28/13 9:49 p.m.

Not sure if one was done this year....but I have always liked the "ten great cars for 10k" or "great sports cars to buy for 5, 10, or 20k"

I also like the extended project car builds in which the car starts out as a street car to autox to track day and chronicling the build.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/29/13 1:43 p.m.

I am yet another one of those guys that started reading because of the Challenge. I had never even heard about the magazine until an old friend told me about this crazy event going on many years ago...

I also enjoy the buyers guides and fabrication tips. I do not actually do much of either but I plan to some day.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
12/29/13 1:54 p.m.

Started reading (and building) because of the challenge. My favorite articles are the hands-on builds and how-to articles. I think those haven't been quite as engaging since starting to see work farmed out.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
12/29/13 2:55 p.m.

Other than the challenge/UTCC/OLOA coverage (since everyone likes those) I'd say the unlikely rivals article.

And yeah I hotlinked back to the site, and the world didn't implode.

I also like articles talking about the business side of racing since most of us won't be able to make a career driving.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/13 3:14 p.m.

This may sound a little corny but I actually like the columns that Tim writes. As I get older, I am bout the same age as Tim, and have kids and parents of roughly same age, and have been though the trials of starting a new business. I have related to many (if not all) of the columns that he has written. I have also lived some of them as well. In short some of them have hit pretty close to home. The style and grace he puts to his writing is an art that is not taught. I believe that it is a reflection of who Tim is. He has shared some personal moments (the column about his dad was gut wrenching) as well as some humorous moments and even a little insight into raising kids while balancing all things automotive.

Knowing the driving force behind this great thing called GRM is human and not some suite in a glass walled office some how has become important to me and greatly adds to my appreciation of all things GRM. So I nominate Tim's Columns as a collective.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/29/13 5:38 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Suck up

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/13 6:31 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: In reply to dean1484: Suck up

Like I said corny but.. . . .

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
12/29/13 6:43 p.m.

I agree, challenge car articles are great, I don't read coverage of races since I don't follow these folks. I do dig the buyer's guides.
Other than the racing coverage, there's nothing I don't like. You've seemed to get back to the GRM basics, no more 6 figure BMW race cars that are made of walrus farts and unicorn hooves.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/13 7:53 p.m.

I like the fab articles, tech articles and long-term project cars with custom-built or engineered parts. The Challenge makes for a decent issue, but I'm not as big a fan as other posters here.

Can't give specific details for 2013, I'd have to go dig back and remind myself what showed up in what magazine

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uw1BOW91W9oeor4QbBIXHHMvRtvjDO2VpQZ7SUoyHaJGV4JsF4vnMIaoke8yDUDL