RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
9/25/16 12:54 a.m.

It's about that time - time to shop for winter tires for my Evo X. I will mount them on the factory 18x8.5" wheels. Stock tire size is 245/40R18. My favorite snow tires are the General Altimax Arctic, but they don't come in Evo-friendly sizes, and I can't downsize to 17" wheels because they won't fit over the big front Brembos. So, what are your favorite snow tires that fit on big rims, and why?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/16 12:57 a.m.

IIRC I was running Blizzaks on my Evo X. They worked rather well in snow, and you can get it sideways in a controlled manner with those tires .

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
9/25/16 9:17 a.m.

If you want to see test results on various winter tires, go to the Canadian Tire site in their tire section.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/25/16 9:54 a.m.

I love my blizzaks.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
9/25/16 10:29 a.m.

I run Blizzaks on my Cayenne and they're pretty bomb proof. I have a pretty mixed environment too, living in Denver we get snow and I drive up the passes to ski alot, so I want good snow/ice traction. At the same time, the snow doesn't stick around more than a few days in Denver, so dry pavement traction is needed too.

Blizzak makes several types of snow tires, so pick the one you need based on how you'll be using it, you won't be disappointed...

Snrub
Snrub Reader
9/26/16 11:29 a.m.

I have Blizzak WS80s on 225/45/18s and they'll mount on 8.5" wheels. I like them.

Tire rack testing suggested they were a top pick, if not the top pick. Car and Driver did ran a test (google search) which was less favorable and suggested the Xi3 might be a better pick.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qVSNYNbNDOlTGBR3JDBlz9tNRuMkuVKvWkumuJnIe7gYzrDsHiNcwB63eekqyPiy