Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/24/20 12:53 p.m.
feature_image

As a self-described "bored college student with a history major and never claimed to be an engineer," user Tamaren is in the midst of turning a first-generation Porsche Boxster into a home-brewed, open-wheel race car.

The work is being done in a totally normal two-car garage, using some creative solutions to complex problems–like mounting a tubing bender to the front of …

Read the rest of the story

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
3/24/20 2:49 p.m.

This will be so much easier to service lol! 

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
3/24/20 3:09 p.m.

I'm interested to see how this turns out. Is it going to be a single seater? Maybe it's just the camera angle, but the tube chassis makes the wheel base look pretty long.

Slightly off topic, but can someone point me to some more information about that adjustable height wheel dolly that is holding up the tail of the transmission? I've only ever seen the ones with the 2 rollers and the foot lever that you pump to raise it.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
3/24/20 3:16 p.m.

Looks like a transmission jack, to me.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
3/24/20 3:24 p.m.
maj75 said:

Looks like a transmission jack, to me.

Ahh, thanks! I'm used to seeing the tall pole-type transmission jacks, which threw me off.

RString
RString
3/25/20 11:30 a.m.

In reply to mainlandboy :

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lbs-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
3/25/20 11:07 p.m.
mainlandboy said:

Maybe it's just the camera angle, but the tube chassis makes the wheel base look pretty long.

I'm curious about this too. As best I can tell based on the pics, it looks to be somewhere in the 110" range.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/26/20 7:22 a.m.

Wow, that's one heck of a project! We need to get a feature on this, when it is done.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ct3KzzuDmYofZc5tT3BwtxFVKmner2h2vDnmUAv5zvWcbAnltDEsK7cUZPnE2YAW