Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
1/8/18 9:44 a.m.
feature_image

There's something inherently cool—and, okay, kind of cute—that comes with every VW Rabbit Pickup. Forum member BirgerBuilder is bumping up the cool factor on his 1983 caddy project by replacing the original 52-horsepower diesel engine with a modern TDI drivetrain. But first, there's some rot to attend to. And that's how this car received its name: Patches.

Read the rest of the story

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
1/8/18 2:21 p.m.

I stopped paying close attention to the German car "scene" in the 90s, having switched to Japanese brands (particularly Honda).  But I do remember many VW fans/admirers speculating about an early Rabbit diesel with a late model Golf TDI engine.  This should be an interesting project, can't wait to see the finished truck(?).

jdoc90
jdoc90 New Reader
1/8/18 7:47 p.m.

All I can ever think when i see one of these is the dodge srt4 turbo should fit in and I would have 400hp .no traction , total torque steer ,but 400hp lol. I think a 4wd version would be killer . 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/18 7:23 a.m.

Why is a VW called a Caddy?  We always called Cadillac’s Caddy’s. 

trucke
trucke SuperDork
1/9/18 7:38 a.m.
dean1484 said:

i

It's a Golf, that can carry your clubs!

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
1/9/18 8:37 a.m.

Is A Golf Wagon A "Caddy Shack".             

Sorry sorta, Had to Say It. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/18 8:49 a.m.
jdoc90 said:

All I can ever think when i see one of these is the dodge srt4 turbo should fit in and I would have 400hp .no traction , total torque steer ,but 400hp lol. I think a 4wd version would be killer . 

Been done.  In the Dodge Rampage/Plymouth Scamp, which was Chrysler’s answer to the VW Caddy and was based off their economy car of the time, the Dodge Charger/Plymouth Turismo.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
1/9/18 9:44 a.m.
dean1484 said:

I believe in other markets the model name was actually Caddy. Seems like I rarely hear people refer to them as their US market name.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wWgeS3ERykzw1tKoxDX8guBv94WNY28bnmUuQ4ZFMKOQHJ9ocFEGFLYlWcpArFPc