Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/21/20 9:15 a.m.
feature_image

User mfennell admits that upgrading a 2019 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen may not be the most ambitious project on the forum, but it perfectly validates our recent post showing how the brand’s MQB platform can be upgraded with factory parts.

Starting with a stock, all-wheel-drive, manual transmission SportWagen, mfennell dipped into the parts bin and grabbed a turbo from a …

Read the rest of the story

Mikeamoss
Mikeamoss
3/12/21 6:55 a.m.

Wondering where you got the larger intake tube?  What is the part number?  You didn't feel the need to upgrade the down pipe?  Do you recommend a turbo blanket?  What to make some of these upgrades to my GSW and would value your input!

Thanks,

Mike Amoss

m_amoss@hotmail.com

mfennell
mfennell Reader
3/12/21 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Mikeamoss :

The intake tube (and elbow) are from MST.  I didn't upgrade the downpipe because i wanted a quiet stock exhaust note but I now have an Integrated Engineering downpipe ready to go in.  Hoping to claw back a little at the lower end.  Also hoping it doesn't drastically increase the exhaust noise because I love how stealthy the car is.

An exhaust blanket was tempting.  The story is so good.  But this guy: http://mygolfmk7.com/ did a bunch of data logging and testing with/without a blanket and found no changes at all.  Not even lower underhood temps!

Vortex has a good Sportwagen forum.  That's where I get most of my ideas.  https://www.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?5378-Golf-SportWagen-VII

Good luck!

Mikeamoss
Mikeamoss New Reader
3/15/21 9:28 p.m.

Thanks!

Looked you up on FB.  I'm located in Neptune was hoping to talk to you a little more about your GSW.  Looking to do the same except in stages.  Where did you order your short shifter?  I have one from Diesel Geek but it's too notch for my taste.  
Thanks,

Mike Amoss

mfennell
mfennell Reader
3/16/21 2:10 p.m.

FCP Euro.  8J0711046E.

When normal returns, I make it to the occasional C&C.  There's a shop down a bit south of you that I've heard good things about for VWs.  Island Sport Works in Pt Pleasant.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wobSl7pZ0yBMY7KNnjMnbcrTQAD19Koh3OXbvZXCmA98SsiflcFlewWaLGF2YVtV