1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/19/17 2:00 p.m.
dculberson said:

You can get a brand new base model C7 Corvette for less than $50k right now. You can also get used Z51 C7 vettes for that. That seems like a hard value proposition to pass up!

That's pretty insane! In reality, I won't be ready to buy anything until Feb/March of next year when RSU's vest and I've filed my taxes to see where that is after buying a home.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/19/17 2:53 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Cotton said:

Don't worry about the image thing.  I drive all different kinds of things from a beat up Suburban to a low mileage Ferrari.  Unfortunately,  people will judge regardless, so just drive what makes you happy.    

I remember driving a beater 951 to work when I was 22,  these days I may drive a really nice 930,  but you get treated very similar.  Most normal people don't know the value difference between a beater 951 and a nice 930,  they just see the badge.

I usually don't care, but I am cognizant of the fact that we have Software Devs/Designers/Tech Writers that are all paid well and allowed to work from home some or most of the time. 

And then we have others in more standard office/admin type positions that don't get the flexibility, pay, ability to work from home, etc, either. 

Yeah I get it,  same here.  I work for a large company and pay and positions vary greatly.  I know some people that won't drive certain cars because of "how it looks",  but I'm just beyond caring too much at this point.   They see me in the burb and think I'm poor,  then see me in something else and think I'm rich....it is what it is.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/19/17 2:53 p.m.

I bet the deals will still be there if not even better. Nobody buys a corvette in February. And nobody pays list price for a domestic vehicle. ;)

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
9/19/17 5:35 p.m.

I'd be very tempted to spring for some F-variant in the Lexus lineup with that awesome V8 if I was after luxury AND something that could do track days.

Although if you gave me this allowance right now and told me to pick out a daily with your criteria?  I'd find the closest Honda dealership that's willing to sell a Civic Type R at MSRP.  It's AMAZING.  Perfectly comfortable to daily, yet faster than 95% of traffic in a straight line and that number goes up once you run to a set of twisties.

Yeah, yeah...I think it looks goofy too, but I'm over that.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/20/17 7:55 a.m.
Tactical Penguin said:

I'd be very tempted to spring for some F-variant in the Lexus lineup with that awesome V8 if I was after luxury AND something that could do track days.

Although if you gave me this allowance right now and told me to pick out a daily with your criteria?  I'd find the closest Honda dealership that's willing to sell a Civic Type R at MSRP.  It's AMAZING.  Perfectly comfortable to daily, yet faster than 95% of traffic in a straight line and that number goes up once you run to a set of twisties.

Yeah, yeah...I think it looks goofy too, but I'm over that.

lolz. For what dealers want for a Civic Type R (Fail wheel drive) I'd buy a Focus RS and call it a day. And that's not even taking into account how disgustingly gross looking they are.

I've owned high powered FWD cars before, '10 Speed3, I don't find the driving dynamic enjoyable. 

The Lexus RC F, starts about $10k more than I want to budget.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/20/17 8:41 a.m.
Cotton said:

Yeah I get it,  same here.  I work for a large company and pay and positions vary greatly.  I know some people that won't drive certain cars because of "how it looks",  but I'm just beyond caring too much at this point.   They see me in the burb and think I'm poor,  then see me in something else and think I'm rich....it is what it is.

Agreed.  Some of my coworkers might wonder about the cars I have, but those that actually know me also know I'm single with no kids and my house is paid off, so the more common comment is "why do you drive around in all of these cheap cars when you could buy a couple of really nice ones?"  I have to admit, I sometimes wonder about that myself... But I consider the '06 MCS JCW to be a pretty nice car...

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
9/20/17 8:50 a.m.
  • ATS-V coupe...........it calls to you.  you're in Oklahoma for cryin'out loud ,what self respecting Okie would drive anything else...... wink 
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/20/17 9:04 a.m.
759NRNG said:
  • ATS-V coupe...........it calls to you.  you're in Oklahoma for cryin'out loud ,what self respecting Okie would drive anything else...... wink 

I don't really see the advantage of it over the SS 1LE. It's slightly quicker 0-60, but I still don't really like the way the interior looks.

And even used they are more than an SS 1LE........just not doing anything for me.

I'm in the land of rednecks and mullets, a Challenger and/or Cummins diesel rolling coal is far more typical here than a performance Cadillac.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
9/20/17 9:22 a.m.
pres589
pres589 PowerDork
9/20/17 10:02 a.m.

A nice 3.2 Carrera 911, an El Camino support vehicle (or a '72 Ranchero) and enough funds left over to make both of them solidly nice to use.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/20/17 11:31 a.m.
pres589 said:

A nice 3.2 Carrera 911, an El Camino support vehicle (or a '72 Ranchero) and enough funds left over to make both of them solidly nice to use.

No desire for two cars. If I was going to have two cars, I'd just make one that is barely street legal (to drive to AutoX/Cars and Coffee type stuff) and a tow vehicle to take it and spares to HPDEs within a one day drive.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
9/20/17 2:12 p.m.

I just went through this same kind of internal debate. I wasn't super happy with my C6 Corvette. I do a couple dozen track days a year. I have a 16mi or so each way daily commute. I have an 11yo daughter I need to tote around. I have to deal with Chicago winters and I don't like putting away cars for multiple months at a time. 

I just spun a rod bearing in my 911 and it's heart-stopping how much engines are for these cars. So I wanted something with a warranty that track use wouldn't void. And if something bad happened and it wasn't covered, I wanted to be able to cover the cost of an engine if it popped. A rebuilt motor for the 997 is 22k and a new crate motor is over 30. A brand new crate LT-1 (the new one, not the old) is 10k. And normal shops can rebuild it, as opposed to even hard-core Porsche shops that won't crack open an M97.

My very favorite choice was the Camaro 1SS 1LE. I bought an '18 white 1LE a couple weeks ago for 42k. I've done 2500 miles in it and it's an absolute joy on the street. I did a track day in it and it did kill its front brake pads at Blackhawk, which is definitely hard on brakes to begin with and moreso on a 3700lb car with 455hp.

I love my 911. If I had the huge stacks of money I would need to buy a new one, yeah, I'd probably go for a new Targa 4S PDK. But that's THREE TIMES what my Camaro cost and it's really not a lot faster. It's definitely not three times faster. The Camaro is WAY faster on track than the Porsche is, too. My best at Blackhawk in the 997 is a 1:23.8. My best in the Camaro (after one day!) is a 1:20.9. (I've only had the Camaro out to Blackhawk so far so I can't offer comparisons on times on other tracks.)

The Camaro also has a modern interior. It has modern electronics and modern entertainment systems. I really hate not having hands-free calling and Bluetooth streaming and XM in the Porsche. Like, I hate not having that stuff to the point where I'm more likely to drive the Camaro to work than the Porsche simply because of the amenities.

I liked the Camaro way more than the GT350, which is $20k more. The back seats are much more usable in the Camaro and the whole package felt tighter. And I am 100% convinced that an SS 1LE is not any slower than a GT350. I like the Recaro seats in the Camaro a lot more than the seats in the GT350, too.

I absolutely love this car. No regrets at all.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/20/17 2:29 p.m.

Yeah, the SS 1LE is originally the car that got me all hot and bothered about going ahead and trying to get rid of the BRZ.

But there have been some other interesting options pointed out as well. The sensible side says the 1LE is the way to go, my BMW-living side desperately wants an M2 (and I like knowing it's the same trans in the much more powerful M cars as well with the DCT so shouldn't have worries about longevity), and a Cayman S because, well, because mid-engine P car.

If Ford offered a few more goodies to the Performance Pack for the Mustang GT, extra cooling for the transmission and diff, and a slightly beefier brake setup, that would likely be the route I went.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
9/20/17 2:41 p.m.

The Cayman S is a delight. If you don't need the back seats, go for it! They're so wonderful to drive.

Back seats were a necessity for me, and kind of what pushed getting rid of the Corvette that I didn't really want to keep, anyway.

M2... Meh. I have a hard time getting excited about anything BMW is putting out anymore. They used to feel special and nice and the sporty ones felt sporty and sounded sporty. Nowadays, they're really nothing special. To me, anyway :) Not trying to crap all over your decision!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
9/20/17 2:53 p.m.
secretariata said:

I'd test drive a new Camaro ZL1 1LE.  If I liked it I'd wait a couple of years until I could get a slightly used one in my price range.

Not that I'll ever be in that position... laugh

Had one of these at a recent autocross.  They look cool and make good noises.  And almost as fast as a E-street Miata! cheeky

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/20/17 3:14 p.m.
Lugnut said:

The Cayman S is a delight. If you don't need the back seats, go for it! They're so wonderful to drive.

Back seats were a necessity for me, and kind of what pushed getting rid of the Corvette that I didn't really want to keep, anyway.

M2... Meh. I have a hard time getting excited about anything BMW is putting out anymore. They used to feel special and nice and the sporty ones felt sporty and sounded sporty. Nowadays, they're really nothing special. To me, anyway :) Not trying to crap all over your decision!

No, I don't have the need for a backseat. No kids, and we won't be putting my girlfriends dogs in any car I have. smiley

BMWs have just always done something for me. The only M cars I haven't drive are the new turbo ones. There are only two M2s on lots here in OK, so I don't know if I'll be able to show up in a BRZ, flip flops, shorts, TShirt and tattoos blazing and get a test drive. 

Who wants to dress up to go to work?

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/20/17 3:21 p.m.

I believe the SS 1LE was actually exactly as fast as the GT350R on big willow with Randy Pobst driving, let alone the GT350

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/20/17 3:27 p.m.
Jaynen said:

I believe the SS 1LE was actually exactly as fast as the GT350R on big willow with Randy Pobst driving, let alone the GT350

And I saw a video review where on a tighter track, I believe it was Gingerman, the M2 was faster than a GT350 by 0.4 sec.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
9/20/17 4:32 p.m.

You know, the Lebannon Ford route is always an option.

727 hp Mustang GT for $39,995

PRO-STREET-S COIL-OVER at Tire Rack for $1457

Anti-Roll bar(s) and alignment kit at Tire Rack ~$500

15-17 MUSTANG GT STOPTECH BIG BRAKE KIT WITH 1-PIECE ROTORS PN: 82.345.6100 at $2000

That brings you up to $44k before installation and upgrades/options.

Just a thought.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/20/17 5:05 p.m.
FlightService said:

You know, the Lebannon Ford route is always an option.

727 hp Mustang GT for $39,995

PRO-STREET-S COIL-OVER at Tire Rack for $1457

Anti-Roll bar(s) and alignment kit at Tire Rack ~$500

15-17 MUSTANG GT STOPTECH BIG BRAKE KIT WITH 1-PIECE ROTORS PN: 82.345.6100 at $2000

That brings you up to $44k before installation and upgrades/options.

Just a thought.

Yeah, but that would ABSOLUTELY not stay cool at a track day. Still need massive wheels/tires, tons of extra cooling capacity, vented hood. Engine, trans, diff coolers, upgraded axles and clutch, absolutely no warranty, etc.

If I just wanted something to mess around town with, it would be a great option.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/20/17 5:23 p.m.

The engine might stay cool at a track day.  Because A) you've broken something or B) you can't really plant that much power 90% of the time anyway.

It has a parts-only warranty.  I think the 600+ hp version has a labor warranty?  I'm sure any track use voids it.  Seems like a good way to spend a ton of time and money fixing weak links instead of enjoying track time.

I bet its great at leaving Cars and Coffee meets though.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
9/21/17 10:40 a.m.

I approve of your list of cars. The SS1LE and C7 would both be at the top of the list, but a would also like to try a BMW and Porsche. I plan on doing the same thing with a $30K budget, and buying used and only keeping for a year or two so I can try everything on the list.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
9/21/17 12:40 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

The 657hp version has full warranty.  A mess of coolers would only be about a grand.  I already priced out brakes, you could get the performance pack for the upgraded clutch and drivetrain.  The engine already comes with upgraded cooling for the supercharger.  Being a Roush kit I bet heat soak has been addressed already.

Still a possibility.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
9/21/17 12:41 p.m.

Why isn't a 996 Turbo  not the easy button here?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/21/17 1:16 p.m.
FlightService said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

The 657hp version has full warranty.  A mess of coolers would only be about a grand.  I already priced out brakes, you could get the performance pack for the upgraded clutch and drivetrain.  The engine already comes with upgraded cooling for the supercharger.  Being a Roush kit I bet heat soak has been addressed already.

Still a possibility.

Are the engine and trans capable of that power level  for track sessions?

I see this like a turbo miata.  Sure you can make 220whp with a Miata, but it takes a lot more than a bigger radiator and upgraded brakes to make it track-reliable.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RUj4sSfEns32AtOLqfHd9SwU4rOA75uGEosBlpDRcivMsP27QiZFLe4c3E6zlioX