Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/28/13 9:58 p.m.

Seeing as how I've never owned a car with an intact leather interior I've never bothered to really learn how to care for em. Now that I have a car with leather I want to last a good long time, how do I care for it? Seriously no clue here. HELP

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
2/28/13 10:51 p.m.

Me too. All of my cars are over a decade old now, and to varying degrees, the leather is starting to crack or the color is starting to fade in spots in each of them. Leather reconditioning seems to be a black art. Anyone have any product or process top tips?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
2/28/13 11:03 p.m.

I just plan on replacing mine every decade or so. Katzkin does pretty much any interior, and their pricing is good. Until it rips up, I'm fine with what's in there.

With that said, I haven't really found a single product that stood out, so I'm certainly interested in this thread.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
2/28/13 11:37 p.m.

On what used to be my DD I just get a foam pad you get at an auto parts store and get some "meguiars gold class leather conditioner" and use the same technique to wax my paint on my leather. (without waxing off) Some stuff smells weird, all cleaners/conditioners i've used stay extra shiny for a few days and fade into the leather. (or i think it does)

Also do this depending how much sun exposure you car gets, whether it's tinted or not, how dark of tint, etc. But I usually do it every 4-6 months since my car is always garaged or under in a parking structure. You could do it more, since it's pretty quick. I can do 5 seats and all the little leather bits in about 5-10 minutes.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
3/1/13 6:47 a.m.

For routine upkeep, I've been hapy with Lexol products. Cleaner the first time and maybe once a a year afterwards, conditioner quarterly or so. Letherique has been mentioned here and on CMS lately; will let you know how it works in a few weeks.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
3/1/13 9:05 a.m.

For upkeep, I use "meguiars gold class leather conditioner". Bought it a few years ago and it works great. Leather is skin, so it gets dry, especially if left in the sun. I treat the leather twice a year.

If your dealing with cracked and ripped seats, I've had good results with the "Magic Mender" repair kit. It works great on cracks. Fixing rips is a bit more difficult. The first one I did looked like crap, but the second one was OK. The only problem with those things is that if your seats have a "texture" in the leather, the repairs will show.

And the repairs still looked great a year and a half later when I sold the car.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
3/1/13 9:15 a.m.

this is what i use and have used for 30 years and i love it but there are so many people tell me i am wrong for using it but i like it and the results i get from using it especially on older hard leather it is "Kiwi Saddle Soap"....

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/1/13 9:52 a.m.
cutter67 wrote: this is what i use and have used for 30 years and i love it but there are so many people tell me i am wrong for using it but i like it and the results i get from using it especially on older hard leather it is "Kiwi Saddle Soap"....

You are not allown. I have used that stuff for years.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
3/1/13 10:01 a.m.

Lexol for maintenance/cleaning. leatherique for scuffs, scratches, gouges. Facing an interior redo on a p-928, I'm considering picking up an industrial sewing maching and figuring out some of this stuff. How hard could it be?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/1/13 10:47 a.m.
dooodstevenn wrote: On what used to be my DD I just get a foam pad you get at an auto parts store and get some "meguiars gold class leather conditioner" and use the same technique to wax my paint on my leather. (without waxing off) Some stuff smells weird, all cleaners/conditioners i've used stay extra shiny for a few days and fade into the leather. (or i think it does) Also do this depending how much sun exposure you car gets, whether it's tinted or not, how dark of tint, etc. But I usually do it every 4-6 months since my car is always garaged or under in a parking structure. You could do it more, since it's pretty quick. I can do 5 seats and all the little leather bits in about 5-10 minutes.

That's the stuff I use. My leather is 2 years old and still looks good.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
3/1/13 10:50 a.m.
I just plan on replacing mine every decade or so. Katzkin does pretty much any interior, and their pricing is good. Until it rips up, I'm fine with what's in there.

Huh. Interesting. Do you send them the seats or what? Cost?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/1/13 11:01 a.m.

Most of the high-end guys swear by a product called Leatherique:

http://www.leatherique.com/

I've used it in the M3 and it does work very well.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/1/13 11:04 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Most of the high-end guys swear by a product called Leatherique: http://www.leatherique.com/ I've used it in the M3 and it does work very well.

I've heard good things about that product, but that has got to be one of the worst web sites I've ever seen. What products are you supposed to use?

jere
jere Reader
3/1/13 11:05 a.m.
oldtin wrote: Lexol for maintenance/cleaning. leatherique for scuffs, scratches, gouges. Facing an interior redo on a p-928, I'm considering picking up an industrial sewing maching and figuring out some of this stuff. How hard could it be?

Sewing isn't hard, and if you don't go too crazy with sewing, you could get away with an old singer. I have a 15-93 singer and it goes through leather like a champ.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LgABeqNizNtqNqnmN0dNxJ5Ddsr8NAwnA0hZzehu3MdccR1ZW8iDNc5AEFxzmXOB