Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/6/19 1:05 p.m.

I used to ride dirt bikes a long time ago- it's probably been 28 years since I've been on any sort of motorcycle. I've ve been thinking of getting a dual sport to use around town, maybe ride on some soft roads and possibly one day try moto-rally.

I've heard good things about the Suzuki 400, but was looking for input from the hive. I'd be looking for a used bike.

I'm 5'10" with shorter legs, a long torso and arms and 200-ish pounds.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/6/19 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

I have zero experience with dual sports or rally moto so feel free to ignore everything I say but I'd probably be looking at a CRF250L. 

Mainly because I've been looking at CRF250Ls. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
5/6/19 1:44 p.m.

DRZ400s are pretty tough, jack of all trades but master of none sorts of bikes.  If you're picky, they're a little heavy for the woods, a little underpowered for rally stages, a little rough for pavement... you get the idea.  But if you just want a bike you can ride wherever, whatever the surface and terrain, they're not a terrible choice.  I wouldn't be afraid of modifications (provided they're done decently) on a used one, as most things do improve the bike at least a little.  They're pretty mechanically stout so if whatever bike you're looking at starts and runs with no timing chain noise, leaks, or smoke you're probably good to go.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
5/9/19 9:18 a.m.

Seat height is 36”.  Some platform riding boots might come in handy...

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
5/9/19 9:35 a.m.

The DR650 has a shorter seat height than the DRZ400, and usually are a bit cheaper used. But both are good bikes, with the DR a bit better on the road and the DRZ better off road.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yYNFBgOxuAyUj8sMDfKsr8OQoaDNJAO6r7AiQ3F3Ldj3JDqGsG3UcoDb7H9pcnkb